Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Live View Focus VS FoCal AF Adjusted Focus: D800e

GaryPk

Bailey, US
537 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012
Mon 25-Feb-13 07:05 PM

After a few hours messing with this, I find that no matter what I do I can not get FoCal AF adjusted and re-adjusted focus to be as good as standard Live View Focus. It is pretty good, it is just not as good.

Is is possible to get them equal?

Any suggestions? I can't always shoot live view. Thank you ..

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

stenrasmussen

HundvÄg, NO
447 posts

#1. "RE: Live View Focus VS FoCal AF Adjusted Focus: D800e" | In response to Reply # 0

stenrasmussen Registered since 19th May 2006
Wed 27-Feb-13 10:41 AM

I have used Focal Pro to tune my 28/1.8G, 50/1.4G and 85/1.8G and they are now as spot on as possible. But PDAF will never be as precise as CDAF so sliiiight differences is not uncommon. In real world shooting the differences are in most cases acceptable.
In order to get best results with Focal, my experience is to stay at the longer end of the scale in terms of recommended target distance.

GaryPk

Bailey, US
537 posts

#2. "RE: Live View Focus VS FoCal AF Adjusted Focus: D800e" | In response to Reply # 1

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Apr 2012
Wed 27-Feb-13 01:59 PM

Thank you ...

Craig Bennett

Rio Rancho, US
64 posts

#3. "RE: Live View Focus VS FoCal AF Adjusted Focus: D800e" | In response to Reply # 2

Craig Bennett Registered since 28th Oct 2012
Wed 27-Feb-13 11:06 PM

I have Focal Pro and have tuned all my lens. However, it seems like it was all over the map when I repeated the tests and/or upgraded my version of FoCal (I have the Mac version).

Here is a youtube link that I believe provides the easiest and most reliable method to tune your lens to the D800. It is extremely fast and when I did mine, I was left with confidence of getting the very best tune of my PDAF system to my lens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58enf18Q0l4

I tuned my lens at both extremes of focal length, then averaged the values for best fit.

Regards,
Craig

GaryPk

Bailey, US
537 posts

#4. "RE: Live View Focus VS FoCal AF Adjusted Focus: D800e" | In response to Reply # 3

Wed 27-Feb-13 11:16 PM

Thank you Graig ...

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

#5. "RE: Live View Focus VS FoCal AF Adjusted Focus: D800e" | In response to Reply # 0

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Wed 27-Feb-13 11:40 PM

>After a few hours messing with this, I find that no matter
>what I do I can not get FoCal AF adjusted and re-adjusted
>focus to be as good as standard Live View Focus. It is pretty
>good, it is just not as good.
>
>Is is possible to get them equal?

So is it as good when it is still in the focal setup? I.e. after fine tune, don't move the camera or change the light, defocus and shoot a few times, then live view focus, and compare.

If you'are comparing at other distances or zoom it could be that the fine tune needed is different enough you can see it.

But as stated, (manual) Live view focus will never be worse than regular AF, and may certainly be better, regardless how good the fine tune was.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

GaryPk

Bailey, US
537 posts

#6. "RE: Live View Focus VS FoCal AF Adjusted Focus: D800e" | In response to Reply # 5

Thu 28-Feb-13 12:18 AM

Hi. Yes, I did that test just as you suggested and found LV was better than AF optimized with FoCal.

Thank you, Gary

G