Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Sun 24-Feb-13 07:57 PM | edited Sun 24-Feb-13 07:58 PM by ScottChapin

The Finanzminister granted me permission to order a D800 today and I bought a Lexar 32GB 1000x card. The manual doesn't explicitly approve of one over 800x. Should I be concerned?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

texspeel

Fairfax Station, US
391 posts

#1. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 0

texspeel Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011
Sun 24-Feb-13 07:14 PM

Scott,
I'm using the same card in my D800 and it works fine. Enjoy the new D800.
Tom

"Nothing can be recognized without light and shade. It is only through the eye, the window of the soul, that we can truly understand the complex workings of nature." - Leonardo da Vinci

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#2. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 1

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Sun 24-Feb-13 07:21 PM | edited Sun 24-Feb-13 07:22 PM by ScottChapin

Thanks Tom,

I figured it might be a case of the manual being written before the card hit the market. I'll relax, a little. I won't relax until I have the camera in hand Tuesday....LOL.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#3. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 0

jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003
Sun 24-Feb-13 07:40 PM

Hi Scott,

Nope, no need for concern. I bought two 16GB Lexar 1000x cards and they work fine with my D800E.

Enjoy!

JDT

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#4. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 0

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012
Mon 25-Feb-13 12:28 AM

Not only do they work with D800, they are near the top for performance.

See this Nikon D800/D800E write speed performance link.

Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US
2316 posts

#5. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 4

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006
Mon 25-Feb-13 12:32 AM

Congrats Scott.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics on Instagram

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#6. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 4

Mon 25-Feb-13 12:55 AM | edited Mon 25-Feb-13 07:40 AM by ScottChapin

Pravin,

Thank you for the link. It looks like the SD card will be the weakest link, if it's set to backup.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#7. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 5

Mon 25-Feb-13 12:59 AM

Thanks Jim and Bob. I shoot a wedding this coming Saturday, but I'll probably have to relegate it as a backup/extra shooter to play it safe. I'm dying to try it with the 85mm f/1.4.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

andrewwx

Ventura, US
110 posts

#8. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 0

andrewwx Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Aug 2008
Mon 25-Feb-13 05:42 AM

BH had a sale a little while ago and I picked up a 64GB version of the 1000x Lexar. It has performed flawlessly for me. It really makes a difference when offloading the files.

You gotta get your focus perfect perfect PERFECT with the D800 and the 85 1.4 (at 1.4) but when you do its stunning.

Enjoy

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#9. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 6

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012
Mon 25-Feb-13 08:19 AM

>It looks like the SD card will be the weakest link, if it's set to backup.

This is one of the reason why I have not used this setup. In my case, the SD card is for overflow and video only. Also coupled with the fact that I have never lost a single photo due to bad card, I decided that "backup mode" is something I can live without.

Pravin

Zareeba

Stockton-on-Tees, UK
174 posts

#10. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 8

Zareeba Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2008
Mon 25-Feb-13 12:17 PM

I use the 1000x Lexar (32 Gb) with my D800 and so far it's been brilliant. I don't think you need to worry - its absence from the manual is probably a question of timing (i.e. cards not available when the manual was written).

Enjoy your D800 - it's awesome!

D4, D800, D600

It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us in trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so.

Why is this thus? What is the reason of this thusness?

- Artemus Ward

MEMcD

US
31282 posts

#11. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Thu 28-Feb-13 05:58 AM

Hi Scott,

Congratulations on your new D800.
No.
I have been using Lexar 32GB 1000X cards in my D800E without any issues.
Enjoy!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD

US
31282 posts

#12. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 6

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Thu 28-Feb-13 07:04 AM

Hi Scott,

My understanding is the D800's maximum write speed is limited to the slowest memory card in the camera. I won't use SD cards in the camera for that reason.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#13. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 9

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sun 10-Mar-13 12:53 PM

I use the SanDisk 64GB 95s SD card for stills and the Lexar 1000x for Video and overflow.
The SD cards have never let me down, previous CF cards have.

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#14. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 13

Sun 10-Mar-13 11:35 PM

Interesting. I was thinking the SD card would be too slow.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

Bourginel

UK
1 posts

#15. "My new D800 wont format my SD Card" | In response to Reply # 14

Bourginel Registered since 04th Mar 2013
Sat 16-Mar-13 02:07 PM

I have just received my new D800 and went to my local store to order some memory cards. I bought an SD 16G card to get me going. I have set the primary slot to SD. The CF slot is empty. pressing the bin and mode together gives me the flashing "format" pressing them again seems to start the process oK but after a few seconds I get a flashing err

Any suggestions please

Thanks

Terry

Henry64

DK
142 posts

#16. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 13

Henry64 Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2008
Sat 16-Mar-13 03:48 PM | edited Sat 16-Mar-13 03:49 PM by Henry64

>I use the SanDisk 64GB 95s SD card for stills and the Lexar
>1000x for Video and overflow.
>The SD cards have never let me down, previous CF cards have.

Well you seems to be an exception to the rule

What you do appears to be upside down, to me at least. CF cards are more reliable and faster than SD cards, CF cards are bigger and more expensive and hardly no, if any, pc's come with a built in cf card reader.
Stills requires faster cards than video, stills write much more data than video and need to do it faster. Video is just a small stream that even slow sd cards can Handle

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-12451

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#17. "RE: My new D800 wont format my SD Card" | In response to Reply # 15

Sat 16-Mar-13 07:35 PM | edited Sat 16-Mar-13 10:53 PM by ScottChapin

Hi Terry and welcome to Nikonians!

My first guess is to try another card, after first checking to see if you have the read only set on the SD card. If it is write enabled and not working, you might try formatting in a computer and then in the camera.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#18. "RE: My new D800 wont format my SD Card" | In response to Reply # 15

Sun 17-Mar-13 02:29 PM

Terry,

Let us know the outcome. We like to know one way or the other and don't like to give up!!

Thanks,

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

PeterBeckett

Lincoln, US
835 posts

#19. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 0

PeterBeckett Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010
Mon 18-Mar-13 12:06 AM | edited Mon 18-Mar-13 12:07 AM by PeterBeckett

Hi Scott,
I use the identical CF cards in my D800 and 800E. They behave flawlessly. To go with them, I use 95MB/Sec Sandisk SD cards. The same comment applies. I have the CF cards set as the primaries on which I store the RAW files. The SD cards used to be configured for overspills, but recently I've been putting JPGs on them - because I've been playing with a CamRanger WiFi remote controller. It's a wonderful tool that opens up all sorts of opportunities...

Hey, maybe we'll actually meet one day! After all, we seem to have frequent "conversations" via these forums (fora?)... Ever find yourself in the San Jose (CA) area?

All the best,

Pete

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#20. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 19

Mon 18-Mar-13 12:13 AM

Pete,

I have the exact same cards in mine. I bought a Lexar 400x SD, because I've been partial to Lexar, but the SanDisk came free with the camera, so I went with it.

CamRanger does seem like fun, especially for low angle macro work with extension tubes. I might bite, if you continue to enjoy it.

I have never been west of Dallas/flFt. Worth, but I'm looking for an excuse!

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

PeterBeckett

Lincoln, US
835 posts

#21. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 20

PeterBeckett Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010
Mon 18-Mar-13 01:33 AM

Scott,
Ha! I visited Atlanta once, many years ago. I was subpoena'd as an expert witness in a case before a Grand Jury involving someone gaining "root" permission on a UNIX computer system that was being used by the IRS to investigate a particularly interesting "situation"... I really enjoyed the visit. You seem to be located fairly close to Atlanta...

This is a BIG country! Until we (my wife, I and four kids) came here from UK in 1982, I hadn't realised just HOW big - and how many sub-cultures there are here. We only go to UK to visit. There's no way that we'd ever go back to live long term!

Consider yourself to have an open invitation to stay with us, if you ever do come to the Bay Area.

All the best,

Pete

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#22. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 21

Tue 19-Mar-13 07:52 AM

Pete

>Consider yourself to have an open invitation to stay with us,
>if you ever do come to the Bay Area.

The offer is reciprocal, if you are ever in Atlanta!

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

PeterBeckett

Lincoln, US
835 posts

#23. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 22

Tue 19-Mar-13 11:52 AM

Scott,
Thank you, kind Sir!

Pete

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#24. "RE: My new D800 wont format my SD Card" | In response to Reply # 15

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012
Wed 20-Mar-13 01:38 AM

>I have just received my new D800 and went to my local store
>to order some memory cards. I bought an SD 16G card to get me
>going. I have set the primary slot to SD. The CF slot is
>empty. pressing the bin and mode together gives me the
>flashing "format" pressing them again seems to start
>the process oK but after a few seconds I get a flashing err
>
>Any suggestions please
>
>Thanks
>
>Terry

Few things you should know.
Nikon only tested and certified Lexar and Sandisk to work in D800.
If you use anything but you are on your own.
I mostly use everything but Lexar and Sandisk.
All I can tell you is that even similar cards would and would not work with this camera.
For example 600x 64gb Topram works but 32gb version does not.
So if you don't want to have any problems stick with Sandisk and Lexar.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#25. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 12

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Wed 20-Mar-13 02:52 AM

>Hi Scott,
>
>My understanding is the D800's maximum write speed is limited
>to the slowest memory card in the camera. I won't use SD
>cards in the camera for that reason.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Not if the second card is set for overflow,
only if they write at the same time.

JECoutre

Concord, US
375 posts

#26. "RE: Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA" | In response to Reply # 0

JECoutre Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2008
Fri 22-Mar-13 11:40 AM

An updated Nikon Tested & Approved memory Card list is found at:
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17778 and includes the Lexar 1000X cards.

G