Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need a few more pointers for using my D800 with a Galaxy Note II smartphone.

leonardevens

US
182 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
leonardevens Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2011
Fri 15-Feb-13 12:17 AM

I am beginning to make progress mastering my d800. I got a Samsung Galaxy Note II smartphone and an Eye-Fi pro x2 card. With some help from Eye-Fi, I was able to set it up so I can transfer images directly to the Note II. I hope to use it to view images in the field to evaluate composition and exposure. But I haven't figured out how to mount the smartphone. The camera will be on a tripod, so if worse comes to worse i can just hold the phone in my hand, but it would be easier if I could mount it on the camera or the tripod. Any suggestions? Also which apps in addition to the Eye-Fi app would it make sense to use on the phone?

Leonard Evens
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#1. "RE: Need a few more pointers for using my D800 with a Galaxy Note II smartphone." | In response to Reply # 0

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012
Fri 15-Feb-13 01:45 AM | edited Fri 15-Feb-13 01:45 AM by InsaneO

If I had to do something like this it would be easy for me.
I just looked in my photo junk door and found whole bunch of "adapters"
which came with Ebay special LED video lights. It is like a square plate with a threaded stud and a large diameter knurled nut that fits where flash would go on top of the camera. Then I would get a car phone holder and somehow adapt it to that aforementioned adapter.

Hope it will give you an idea.

DAJolley

US
1301 posts

#2. "RE: Need a few more pointers for using my D800 with a Galaxy Note II smartphone." | In response to Reply # 0

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Fri 15-Feb-13 10:31 AM

A Plamp clamp might work. There are probably better solutions, but if you shoot macro and have a Plamp around, it would be easy to try.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

leonardevens

US
182 posts

#3. "RE: Need a few more pointers for using my D800 with a Galaxy Note II smartphone." | In response to Reply # 2

Fri 15-Feb-13 06:05 PM

>A Plamp clamp might work. There are probably better
>solutions, but if you shoot macro and have a Plamp around, it
>would be easy to try.
>Dave Jolley

I found it at B&H Photo. It looks as if it might work and also as if it might be useful for other purposes. But I do have a couple of questions.

The reviews say that the clamp which would hold the phone is weak. Would it be strong enough to hold my (large) Galaxy Note II phone? Also, is there any chance it would damage the phone. I think it would have to encroach partly on the touchscreen.

It looks as if it would be useful for so many things, I may order one and try it ou t.

Leonard Evens

DAJolley

US
1301 posts

#4. "RE: Need a few more pointers for using my D800 with a Galaxy Note II smartphone." | In response to Reply # 3

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Fri 15-Feb-13 09:19 PM | edited Fri 15-Feb-13 09:24 PM by DAJolley

Leonard,
The clamp that would hold the phone is strong enough to hold my flip phone solidly. I can't speak to its ability to hold your smartphone. I don't think it would damage the phone. They are handy to have around if you do any macro shooting and they can be used to hold reflectors.
Here's a phone specific device that may work too:
http://www.spigen.com/sgp-smartphone-cradle-kuel-s22.html

Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

leonardevens

US
182 posts

#5. "RE: Need a few more pointers for using my D800 with a Galaxy Note II smartphone." | In response to Reply # 4

Fri 15-Feb-13 10:05 PM

>Leonard,
>The clamp that would hold the phone is strong enough to hold
>my flip phone solidly. I can't speak to its ability to hold
>your smartphone. I don't think it would damage the phone. They
>are handy to have around if you do any macro shooting and they
>can be used to hold reflectors.
>Here's a phone specific device that may work too:
>http://www.spigen.com/sgp-smartphone-cradle-kuel-s22.html
>
>Dave Jolley

That iphone mount might work if it holds my Galaxy Note 2, but it looks as if it is designed for a specific iphone.

Do you know anything more about it?

There are some mounts designed for bike handlebars which might work and some gorilla mounts that also might work.

I did finally order something from Semsons which has a large clip on one end which should mount on a tripos lleg or post and which has something which is adjustable and should hold my phone at the other end. I won't know if it works until I get it, but it only cost about $10.

Leonard Evens

G