Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

And another problem with my D800.....

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012
Tue 05-Feb-13 07:21 PM

I guess 3 times is a charm.
I had 16-35mm attached to D800e and both were stored for over a week in the bag. Few days ago I wanted to take few pictures after the break and I could not remove 16-35mm from the camera. It would just rotate back and forth but not come out.
Finally, I was able to remove it in one spot but then I looked in the viewfinder it was a lot of dirt on the screen and viewfinder was dark.
The reason it was dark is because there is a lever that got stuck just below the mount. I touched this lever and it sprung back and viewfinder became bright again and I was able to take few hundred pictures.

Now, I need to take the camera to Nikon for a check up but I can't reproduce most problems I have.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4526 posts

#1. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 0

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Fri 08-Feb-13 04:48 PM

>Finally, I was able to remove it in one spot but then I looked
>in the viewfinder it was a lot of dirt on the screen and
>viewfinder was dark.
>The reason it was dark is because there is a lever that got
>stuck just below the mount. I touched this lever and it sprung
>back and viewfinder became bright again and I was able to take
>few hundred pictures.
>
>Now, I need to take the camera to Nikon for a check up but I
>can't reproduce most problems I have.

The lever is the aperture control for the lens. When a lens is being mounted, if the white alignment dots aren't fully lined up before the lens is pressed against the mount surface and twisted to lock it in place, it's possible for the aperture actuator lever to be dragged and jammed. If the lever is jammed in the stopped down position, very little light will come through the lens and then through the pentaprism and into the viewfinder. It will be dark.

The dirt you're seeing when looking through the viewfinder has accumulated on the focusing screen. It can usually be easily cleared using a rubber bulb blower such as a Rocket Blower. Don't use compressed air or a swab of any kind because it's too easy to mar the exposed surface of the focusing screen. It's also possible that some dirt has accumulated on the mirror, and it can be blown clean with a Rocket Blower as well.

Generally, the exposed surface of the focusing screen doesn't attract dust and detritus, but if a DSLR body is regularly allowed to sit for too long (e.g., more than half a minute or so) each time a lens change is done, dust and other bits can build up on focusing screen, the mirror, and the sensor filter.

If you've been able to take a few hundred photos since releasing the aperture actuator lever, and if the photos are turning out as expected, there probably isn't any need to send the lens away for service. Also, a jammed actuator lever on the lens doesn't mean the camera body needs service.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#2. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 1

Tue 12-Feb-13 03:44 AM | edited Tue 12-Feb-13 03:45 AM by InsaneO

>>Finally, I was able to remove it in one spot but then I
>looked
>>in the viewfinder it was a lot of dirt on the screen and
>>viewfinder was dark.
>>The reason it was dark is because there is a lever that
>got
>>stuck just below the mount. I touched this lever and it
>sprung
>>back and viewfinder became bright again and I was able to
>take
>>few hundred pictures.
>>
>>Now, I need to take the camera to Nikon for a check up but
>I
>>can't reproduce most problems I have.
>

>
>The dirt you're seeing when looking through the viewfinder has
>accumulated on the focusing screen. It can usually be easily
>cleared using a rubber bulb blower such as a Rocket Blower.

The dirt did not "accumulate" because it wasn't there. The dirt looked like bits and pieces, possibly even chunks from the camera.
It did not look like normal dust.
And, yes, I blew them off with bulb blower.
BTW, this camera is a dust magnet. I regularly clean mirror and sensor. In fact I clean it almost every week. The good news is that most of time blowing dust out is all that is needed. Only few times I had to use SensorKlear pen.
Still, I did more cleaning on this camera than all of Canons I owned before, combined. For example 7D was only cleaned once in 3 years.
5D2 was not so bad but mirror on it was regularly dirty and eventually even Canon's tech just simply replaced it before I sold it.
D800e on the other hand accumulates dirt even if I leave the one lens on. I have to clean it after every shoot or two.

>If you've been able to take a few hundred photos since
>releasing the aperture actuator lever, and if the photos are
>turning out as expected, there probably isn't any need to send
>the lens away for service. Also, a jammed actuator lever on
>the lens doesn't mean the camera body needs service.

I just got Canon 5D3 with 24-105mm lens as my backup camera so now I can drop off D800e for a checkup. Just need to find the time.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#3. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 2

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Tue 12-Feb-13 12:51 PM

Not sure why you are having your problems, My D800e requires no more frequent cleaning than any of the other Nikons that I have owned. I assume you have the automatic cleaning function turned on.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#4. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 3

Tue 12-Feb-13 02:15 PM | edited Tue 12-Feb-13 02:16 PM by InsaneO

>Not sure why you are having your problems, My D800e requires
>no more frequent cleaning than any of the other Nikons that I
>have owned. I assume you have the automatic cleaning function
>turned on.

Maybe because I actually use the camera.

What exactly do you think automatic cleaning does?
I tell you what it does. Nothing!!!!
First of all a lot of dust clings to the sensor and can't be removed just by shaking it. You need to blow it. And some needs to be removed by the SensorKlear pen.
Second of all, where do you think shaken off dust go?
At least one manufacturer used to put sticky tape inside the camera long time ago. Otherwise dust end up right back on the sensor as soon as sensor energizes.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#5. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 4

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Tue 12-Feb-13 02:53 PM | edited Tue 12-Feb-13 03:10 PM by mklass

>>Not sure why you are having your problems, My D800e
>requires
>>no more frequent cleaning than any of the other Nikons
>that I
>>have owned. I assume you have the automatic cleaning
>function
>>turned on.
>
>Maybe because I actually use the camera.
>
>What exactly do you think automatic cleaning does?
>I tell you what it does. Nothing!!!!
>First of all a lot of dust clings to the sensor and can't be
>removed just by shaking it. You need to blow it. And some
>needs to be removed by the SensorKlear pen.
>Second of all, where do you think shaken off dust go?
>At least one manufacturer used to put sticky tape inside the
>camera long time ago. Otherwise dust end up right back on the
>sensor as soon as sensor energizes.

Yeah, I use mine too... a lot. And I change lenses frequently, too. So I think I can speak about this with some confidence. But I have always used Nikons and never a Canon DSLR, which, you keep intimating in your posts, are superior.

Yes, auto sensor cleaning vibrates dust off the sensor and deposits it into "sticky tape". That's how all manufacturers do it. I do know, from experience, that the first Nikon that I owned with this feature kept much cleaner with sensor cleaning foned on rather than left off. So now I just turn it on when I get new camera and forget about it. It will not remove sticky particles or liquids, but is quite effective at loose dust.

Mick
or

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#6. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 4

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Tue 12-Feb-13 02:57 PM | edited Tue 12-Feb-13 02:58 PM by briantilley

>What exactly do you think automatic cleaning does?
>I tell you what it does. Nothing!!!!

I use my cameras too, and have found the more recent models with the sensor cleaning feature to require less manual cleaning than those which went before.

You do seem to have less luck with your Nikons than most of our members!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#7. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 5

Tue 12-Feb-13 03:15 PM

I hate to tell you but there is no sticky tape in D800.
There is felt on the sides but that is about it.
For that matter there is no sticky tape in my Canon's either.
And either though current 7D and 5D2 (not sure yet about 5D3 because I just got it) have less dust problem than D800 it does not mean all Canon's camera are good. For example 1Ds and 1DS2 were also dust magnets.

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#8. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 6

Tue 12-Feb-13 03:23 PM

It does seem that way. Maybe because I truthfully report them instead of just being blissful.
One thing for sure, I don't have left/right focus problem.
Maybe because I had -20 calibration problem and Nikon adjusted it to -5 in a first few days I owned the camera.
One thing for sure, my D800e with all of the problems is still way superior than Canon 5D3 I was forced to get.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#9. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 7

Tue 12-Feb-13 03:36 PM

Well, as I said, the problems that you have, I do not have. And I am being truthful, as well, not blissful(ly ignorant?).

Perhaps you could give the rest of us a little credit for that?

Mick
or

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#10. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 8

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Tue 12-Feb-13 04:20 PM

>Maybe because I truthfully report them instead
>if just being blissful.

If you're accusing others here of being blind to problems with their equipment, then I think you are misguided. There are several other possible explanations.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#11. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 10

Tue 12-Feb-13 11:25 PM

I have been reading many Nikon and Canon (plus Sony and Panasonic) forums and it is the same story all over the web. Just because few don't have problems (or don't want to admit or just simply don't report) does not mean these cameras don't have problems.
I just happen to be such a person that I can find problems in almost every product. It seems to me that problems just jump at me.
And it does not pertain only to cameras.
So, no am not misguided. Just less tolerant.

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#12. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 9

Tue 12-Feb-13 11:32 PM

Just because you don't have problems does not mean others don't.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#13. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 12

Tue 12-Feb-13 11:42 PM

>Just because you don't have problems does not mean others
>don't.

I never said that. In fact, I said I was sorry your are having problems with your camera. I'm just not having problems with mine. So it is possible to get a good D800.

Mick
or

Skyco

Roanoke Island, US
170 posts

#14. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 11

Skyco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2012
Wed 13-Feb-13 02:30 AM | edited Wed 13-Feb-13 01:00 PM by Skyco

>I have been reading many Nikon and Canon (plus Sony and
>Panasonic) forums and it is the same story all over the web.
>Just because few don't have problems (or don't want to admit
>or just simply don't report) does not mean these cameras don't
>have problems.
>I just happen to be such a person that I can find problems in
>almost every product. It seems to me that problems just jump
>at me.
>And it does not pertain only to cameras.
>So, no am not misguided. Just less tolerant.

I love my D800. I had a crack in the sensor glass on my D800 after a month of use - which Nikon replaced for free. Turn around time was two weeks. A web search turned up one other person with that problem on a D800E. I change lenses a lot and have never had the dust problems you talk about. Although I know of someone who cleaned their mirror with a swab - which caused bits of the foam rubber around it to come apart....

What I believe is that Canon does not have anything close to the D800 to compete with or the Sony Exmor sensor which it uses, so its easier and cheaper to send out trolls and fan boys to disparage the D800. Please accept my apologies if you are not one of those.

You seem happy with Canon cameras. Why bother with Nikon cameras and a Nikon user forum?

Peace be with you,

Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyco_g/

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#15. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 11

Wed 13-Feb-13 07:38 AM

>So, no am not misguided.

As I said, I believe you are misguided if you think other members are not admitting to camera problems.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

isail2

La Paz, MX
63 posts

#16. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 0

isail2 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2004
Wed 13-Feb-13 12:48 PM

I couldn't believe that I was reading another situation exactly like mine I had the same trouble only in trying to remove the 16-35 I actually broke off the little lever. when I got to looking atthe lens, I found out that the little "stop screw" was missing from the mounting plate on the back of the lens. this stop screw prevents the lens from going back too far when it is being removed. I sent both the camera and the lens in to Nikon The lens is being repaired under warrant (the stop screw just came unscrewed) On the camera Nikon feels that there was user caused "impact damage"??? and I'm paying $230 to get it fixed (go figure) anyway I would suggest that you check your 16-35 to see if the little stop screw is still in tact.

Tireton

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#17. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 14

Wed 13-Feb-13 04:58 PM

>
>You seem happy with Canon cameras. Why bother with Nikon
>cameras and a Nikon user forum?

Just because product has problems does not mean I can't live with them.
Still these problems need to be reported. I am sure Nikon Googles to find problems with their product.
As far as Canon cameras concerned I have no loyalty to Canon or Nikon or anything else for that matter. If Sony comes out with something that is much better than Canon or Nikon and worth switching I will do it. This is my third digital system switch already, almost, not counting film.
I maybe happy with Canon quality but certainly not happy with performance. That is why I bought Nikon D800e which as I stated before outperforms similar Canon cameras.

>
>Peace be with you,
>
>Ken
>
>
>
>

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#18. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 16

Wed 13-Feb-13 05:08 PM

Thanks.
I do see that there is a threaded hole without a screw and it is present on the 24-120mm.
Going to Nikon Service center now.

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#19. "Update......And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 18

Wed 13-Feb-13 07:53 PM | edited Wed 13-Feb-13 07:57 PM by InsaneO

Back from Nikon already. I only live 10 miles from them.
Not only screw was missing but the lever was bent a little.
While I waited technician replaced the screw and bent the lever back.
I might drop off the camera again for other problems and checkup next week on Monday. I have no idea where screw went. Technician said that he shook the lens and the camera and could not hear any rattle.
I also spoke with the supervisor and was told that slow writing problem can be addressed if I leave the camera for 5 days because they have to correspond with Japan.

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#20. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 15

Wed 13-Feb-13 09:57 PM

I stand by my original assessment.
If someone new without forums experience would read this thread here what they would think: "This guy posts a legitimate problem and at first he gets chastised for even posting it and then someone calls him troll and then whole bunch of people get involved without any concrete solution to the problem. So why would I post a problem here just to go through the same ordeal?"
Brian,
This thread should had just 3 posts.
One OP, one from isail2 with the same experience and correct advice and update from OP.
As it stands whole bunch of people stuck their nose in it and that is why lots of members afraid to post problems.
It is not just happening on this forum but on all other forums too.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#21. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 20

Wed 13-Feb-13 10:10 PM

You seem to have a problem with people that don't have the same issues that you have. As you stated you go looking for problems.

Based on reading your posts, one would conclude that every piece of photography equipment that you own is a piece of junk.

I hardly think that is fair to people who come here looking for a fair appraisal of a piece of equipment. Your approach seem to be to trash everything and assume that just because you have an issue with something, everyone else does to, and those that say they don't are liars (I think you implied not telling the truth which is the same thing). You are no keeper of the truth.

If one, 2 or 10 people report a problem, that doesn't mean the thousands of similar pieces of equipment out there are junk.

Brian isn't the only one you need to address you comments to.

Give the tone this thread is taking, (and I admit I am now contributing to it because I cannot let this slide) I think the whole thing ought to be deleted.

Mick
or

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#22. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 21

Wed 13-Feb-13 10:21 PM | edited Wed 13-Feb-13 10:27 PM by InsaneO

Actually you are the one who blew the whole thing out of proportion.
This is not the first time you got involved in the thread without any reason at all. According to you just because you don't have any problems no one should have them too. Which is far from the truth.

I never said that my camera is a piece of junk. You just assumed it.
I also post many other things not just problems. I guess you don't read those.
Maybe you just search for a word "problem" and tell everyone you don't have any. I don't know but it seems to me you are trying to get confrontational.
If you don't have specific solution to the problem don't get involved. Simple as that. I really couldn't care less if you don't have problems with your equipment. I DO!!!! And unless you have specific solution to the problem reminding people that is confrontational.
Deleting the truth is not a solution!!!!

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#23. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 22

Thu 14-Feb-13 03:03 AM

Thanks for expressing that.

Between this post and your earlier one:

I just happen to be such a person that I can find problems in almost every product. It seems to me that problems just jump at me.
And it does not pertain only to cameras.
So, no am not misguided. Just less tolerant.

I think I understand your situation.

If I promise not to respond to your posts in the future, will you return the favor?

Mick
or

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#24. "RE: And another problem with my D800....." | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 14-Feb-13 07:21 AM

Since this proved to be a fault with the lens rather than the camera, this thread can safely be closed.

Thanks to all for their contributions.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

G