Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 v D4 - Silent Mode

DiamondPhotography

UK
233 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DiamondPhotography Registered since 29th Dec 2010
Sun 03-Feb-13 03:53 PM

Hi, I have a D800 and I am considering buying a D4. I have been reading that the D4 silent mode is very quiet. Is it more quiet than D800?

Thanks

Andrew

North East Wedding Photographer

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

chuckbernard

San Francisco, US
23 posts

#1. "RE: D800 v D4 - Silent Mode" | In response to Reply # 0

chuckbernard Registered since 30th Dec 2009
Sun 03-Feb-13 07:37 PM

I just tried them both out and the answer would be no. They sound the same to me.

I tried them out both on the floor (hardwood with a thin persian carpet) and holding them up to shoot.

If there is a difference then I can't hear it.

DiamondPhotography

UK
233 posts

#2. "RE: D800 v D4 - Silent Mode" | In response to Reply # 1

Sun 03-Feb-13 07:42 PM

Thanks Chuck. I have D800 and quiet mode does not seem very quiet at all. Some way behind Canon! Shame.

Thanks again

Andrew

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4122 posts

#3. "RE: D800 v D4 - Silent Mode" | In response to Reply # 1

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Sun 03-Feb-13 08:12 PM | edited Sun 03-Feb-13 08:13 PM by gpoole

Both cameras have a Quiet mode that is selectable on the release mode dial on the top of the camera. I assume that is what you are talking about.

The D4 also has a Silent mode that is only available in LiveView. See page 60 of the English manual for details and limitations. This mode is not available in the D800.

Quiet mode reduces noise in viewfinder mode by delaying the mirror return until you lift your finger from the shutter release button. It is not silent though.

Quiet mode in LiveView is quieter than Quiet mode in Viewfinder mode, but still not silent. In LiveView mode I cannot detect and difference between Single release and Quite release mode, probably because the mirror is not part of the operation.

The D4 LiveView Silent mode is silent. Apparently it does electronic shuttering instead of mechanical shuttering.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#4. "RE: D800 v D4 - Silent Mode" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sun 03-Feb-13 09:48 PM

I use D800E and D4 Quiet Mode in shooting during live performances in Theatre and find it to be quite helpful. It's certainly quieter than non-quiet mode, and I feel is much more discrete. Certainly quieter than my old rattletrap D700

I would think during wedding shooting you achieve some of this benefit also, at least as compared to non-quiet mode. I just tried both side by side and the D4 sounds just a hair louder but that is very informal/anecdotal.

I also tend to time my shooting somewhat by volume coming from my subject. Sometimes I won't shoot at all, but I listen for noise from either the crowd or stage and then can shoot merrily away. You may at least partially benefit from that approach during a ceremony, but I realize is not always something you can do at a wedding!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Luke_Miller

Rural Virginia, US
1760 posts

#5. "RE: D800 v D4 - Silent Mode" | In response to Reply # 3

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006
Mon 04-Feb-13 01:03 PM | edited Mon 04-Feb-13 01:04 PM by Luke_Miller

>The D4 LiveView Silent mode is silent. Apparently it does
>electronic shuttering instead of mechanical shuttering.
>
Exactly - I use Silent Mode on my D4 during live performances where camera noise would be a distraction. It is absolutely silent - I have to chimp to reassure myself that I am actually capturing images. Silent Mode produces a 1920x1280 jpeg (no RAW in Silent Mode) image - same size image as my old D1H produced - so it is not for times when you need a lot of pixels.

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

DiamondPhotography

UK
233 posts

#6. "RE: D800 v D4 - Silent Mode" | In response to Reply # 4

Mon 04-Feb-13 06:37 PM

Thanks guys! It's a shame D4 silent mode is not full size images and jpeg only is no good for me. I am seriously considering purchasing a D4 and this would of been a BIG plus point.

I still find quiet mode quite intrusive on my D800. Maybe on the next round of Nikons there will be some advancements in this area.

Thanks again

Andrew

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#7. "RE: D800 v D4 - Silent Mode" | In response to Reply # 0

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Mon 04-Feb-13 06:46 PM

Some folks I see (volunteers for charity) shooting during lager auditorium events (Shrine Auditorium etc. )that has a single speaker, end up using padded camera coverings to mute the sound and they usually shoot Canons.

I suspect the video crew made complaints and that is why they do this.

Even with the superior DR on the D3S and now the D800, I do not volunteer for the simple reason that Nikons are loud enough to distract audience members.

RM

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#8. "RE: D800 v D4 - Silent Mode" | In response to Reply # 6

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Tue 05-Feb-13 01:32 AM

From what I have been hearing from a 'Timon' on Nikon rumours, and I believe is correct, Canon cameras have electronic first current shutters and Nikons do not. So does NEX have this feature. Of course the Nikon 1 series support a fully electronic shutter which renders it completely silent, and I have coincidentally used it to excellent effect while attending a niece's wedding! I love the completely silent capability of the 1 series, of course that does not solve your problem as a pro shooter.

So just like the physical aperture linkage on non-E Nikon lenses (and every Nikon DSLR), there is a physical design limitation in Nikon cameras to do with having a mechanical first curtain shutter that constrains what Nikon can do in Quiet mode as compared to what Canon can do.

And no, in case anyone was wondering, there will be no firmware update for the D600 to enable Aperture setting without leaving and re-entering LiveView. This is another physical limitation that pro Nikon cameras work around by having extra physical hardware to support just this purpose that the lesser cameras do not and which instead rely on mirror-flipping to kick over the aperture lever.

It is very interesting, this meld of physical engineering and electronics and firmware that is the Nikon camera

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

AreBee

Inverness, UK
531 posts

#9. "RE: D800 v D4 - Silent Mode" | In response to Reply # 8

AreBee Registered since 27th Apr 2008
Tue 05-Feb-13 11:15 AM | edited Tue 05-Feb-13 11:16 AM by AreBee

Steve,

>From what I have been hearing from a 'Timon' on Nikon rumours, and I believe is correct, Canon cameras have electronic first current shutters and Nikons do not.<

That is correct. The sharpness of a photo is significantly increased using an EFCS. It is a great pity that Nikon does not adopt an EFCS, especially in bodies optimised for high resolution.

Rob
www.robbuckle.co.uk

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

#10. "RE: D800 v D4 - Silent Mode" | In response to Reply # 0

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Tue 05-Feb-13 04:23 PM

Quiet mode on the D800 is only slightly quieter than normal shooting.

It is not quiet enough to prevent disturbing game animals and some birds when photographing at close range.

Visit

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#11. "RE: D800 v D4 - Silent Mode" | In response to Reply # 0

Vlad_IT

US
1353 posts

#12. "RE: D800 v D4 - Silent Mode" | In response to Reply # 5

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011
Mon 26-Aug-13 02:26 AM

>Exactly - I use Silent Mode on my D4 during live performances
>where camera noise would be a distraction. It is absolutely
>silent - I have to chimp to reassure myself that I am actually
>capturing images. Silent Mode produces a 1920x1280 jpeg (no
>RAW in Silent Mode) image - same size image as my old D1H
>produced - so it is not for times when you need a lot of
>pixels.

By analogy to D4 silent, mode maybe short highest resolution video on D800 and extracting a frame in post processing will give you the same result as having Silent mode on D800?

Best regards,
Vlad

jackhx

Richardson, US
168 posts

#13. "RE: D800 v D4 - Silent Mode" | In response to Reply # 11

jackhx Gold Member Charter Member
Mon 26-Aug-13 03:57 AM

As others have said, the "Quiet mode" isn't that quiet on any of the Nikon bodies.

I have a soft cover that I will use sometimes to greatly reduce the noise. It is an earlier version of this:

http://www.adorama.com/CZM.html?kbid=912610

It does a pretty decent job of reducing the camera noise but does not completely eliminate it. It is also fairly awkward to shoot with, and gives you very limited access to camera controls. When I use it to shoot a performance, wedding, church service, etc, I use manual-everything on the camera and only adjust the shutter speed and aperture to tweak exposure while I am shooting. The way mine works, you only have access to controls that you can reach with your right hand.

Jack

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

#14. "RE: D800 v D4 - Silent Mode" | In response to Reply # 9

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2009
Mon 26-Aug-13 12:48 PM | edited Mon 26-Aug-13 12:50 PM by JPJ

>That is correct. The sharpness of a photo is significantly
>increased using an
>EFCS. It is a
>great pity that Nikon does not adopt an EFCS, especially in
>bodies optimised for high resolution.

First, the EFCS 'sharpness' advantage is often seen in circumstances when you would be using a DSLR on a tripid with MLU anyway thus negating it. Further, if one haunts the Sony forums on reputable web sites you will find many users started testing this when the A77/99 were released with photo evidence establishing a minor advantage in some shots, but no difference at all in the vast majority of shooting situations. I mean they didn't magnify things to preposterous sizes that no one would ever see, but it was good enough for the human eye.

Second, there are disadvantages in shutter sync speeds and ghosting when shooting moving subjects at large apertures with an EFCS.

In conclusion, some possible advantages, some possible disadvantages - opinions vary.

It does make for a quieter shutter.

Jason

Grey Pixel

Yorba Linda, US
3 posts

#15. "RE: D800 v D4 - Silent Mode" | In response to Reply # 13

Grey Pixel Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2012
Mon 26-Aug-13 01:53 PM

The JPI sound blimps are used in TV productions where noise is just not acceptable, but high quality still images of the production are desired.

http://www.soundblimp.com/default.htm

Jim

G