Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Rubber Seal By Card Door Fell Out, What To Do?

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003
Mon 14-Jan-13 01:23 AM

I need your advice. I have a new D800E with less than 400 shutter actuations. The very rubber piece (I assume it is a seal)located adjacent to the door to the card chamber, on the hinged side of the door, fell out. I have the rubber piece and have put it back in place; however, it will not stay in place. Nikon, in usual unhelpful fashion, says to send the camera to Nikon for repair. Of course I have to pay the cost of shipping. I am tempted to glue the piece in place but am reluctant to do that. On the other hand, having to pay about $80.00 in shipping cost to "repair" a defect in Nikon's assembly of the camera also does not appeal to me. This is particularly annoying since I have already been out of pocket about $140.00 for the shipping and return of another D800E that had the left focus problem. Obviously I am not having good luck with the D800E. I also have until Jan. 18 to return the camera to B&H if I wish to do so. What do you recommend?

JDT

Greyscale

Freehold, US
111 posts

#1. "RE: Rubber Seal By Card Door Fell Out, What To Do?" | In response to Reply # 0

Greyscale Registered since 12th Jun 2002
Mon 14-Jan-13 01:55 AM

I would return the camera for a credit or a NEW replacement.FWIW, this is the second online posting regarding this issue although Im not sure the first was posted on Nikonians.
Good Luck,
greyscale

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#2. "RE: Rubber Seal By Card Door Fell Out, What To Do?" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 14-Jan-13 03:34 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am inclined to return the camera and request replacement. I have emailed B&H about this and requested an RMA. It does greatly annoy me that, once again, Nikon's shoddy quality control is costing me money. Nikon's attitude is one of indifference to their loyal customers. Thom Hogan has commented that it seems to him that quality control for the D800/E may be of a lower quality than what it has been in the past. Based on my two bad experiences I agree.

JDT

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#3. "RE: Rubber Seal By Card Door Fell Out, What To Do?" | In response to Reply # 2

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Mon 14-Jan-13 03:59 AM

There is a little tab directly next to the body exterior, I just raised the tab a little and placed a drop super glue and pressed it down.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#4. "RE: Rubber Seal By Card Door Fell Out, What To Do?" | In response to Reply # 3

Mon 14-Jan-13 02:10 PM

Hi Clint,

I am confused by your reference to "a little tab directly next to the body exterior". The part in question on my camera is a 9/16 inch piece of rubber that has on the bottom side one extension (in the middle) and two very small circular extensions ("nubs"), one of either end of the rubber piece. Before it fell out of the camera, the rubber piece fit into a cutout on the frame of the housing for the card compartment, located on the hinged side of the door to the card compartment. The cutout in the frame has cutouts into which the three extensions on the rubber piece fit.

Did that piece fall out of your camera? I am unable to see any tab to raise so I am unable to follow you on that. I had considered placing glue on the bottom and one side of the rubber piece in order to glue it into place but really don't want to do that.

Thanks for your post.

JDT

venusian

US
186 posts

#5. "RE: Rubber Seal By Card Door Fell Out, What To Do?" | In response to Reply # 2

venusian Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Mon 14-Jan-13 10:06 PM | edited Mon 14-Jan-13 10:07 PM by venusian

Hi,

If I were in your shoes I would return the camera to B&H for another 800E. I dread ever having to send in mine for any repairs to Nikon.

You'll pay nothing for the return shipping and nothing for a brand NEW replacement.

You shouldn't have to start gluing a $3300 camera back together.

Nick (Roxbury, Connecticut Nikonian)

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#6. "RE: Rubber Seal By Card Door Fell Out, What To Do?" | In response to Reply # 5

Tue 15-Jan-13 12:52 AM | edited Tue 15-Jan-13 12:57 AM by jim thomas

Hi Nick,

I understand that B&H's return policy requires the buyer to pay shipping to return the item. Nonetheless, I decided to return the camera for an exchange and requested an RMA. In just the last few hours, after exchanging a couple of emails, I received the RMA and a prepaid shipping label from B&H. I have not rechecked the return policy to see if I misunderstood it. Perhaps under the circumstances B&H waived the requirement that I pay shipping. You apparently understnad that one may return an item without paying the cost of shipping. Maybe I did not read the return policy correctly when I checked it. In any event, I agree that one should not have to perform a DIY glue job on a new $3300.00 camera and decided that I would not do that. I have the camera packaged with the RMA label on it and will ship it to B&H tomorrow. Hopefully I will get a replacement without the focus problem. So far my experience with the D800Es has been a comedy of errors. The first one had the focus problem. This one did not have the focus problem but had the other problem. I am hoping that the third one will be OK on all counts. Of course I have also spent quite a lot of time applying the custom settings and testing for focus problems on the first two cameras and am tired of having to go through those procedures. Nonetheless I am pleased that B&H is helping me solve this problem by paying shipping for the exchange. Unlike Nikon, B&H is being very helpful in addressing the problems created by Nikon's shoddy workmanship.

Thanks for the reply.

JDT

venusian

US
186 posts

#7. "RE: Rubber Seal By Card Door Fell Out, What To Do?" | In response to Reply # 6

Wed 16-Jan-13 01:17 PM

I could be mistaken on the B&H return policy...it's been so long since I did it. However, it is worth the price given the situation.

Sorry you are having so much trouble. I experienced the same several years ago with two defective D700s. Finally got the third...a new body from Nikon and really enjoyed using it until it was replaced by the D800E.

Good luck with this!

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#8. "RE: Rubber Seal By Card Door Fell Out, What To Do?" | In response to Reply # 7

Wed 16-Jan-13 07:56 PM

Hi Nick,

Regardless of policy, B&H sent me a prepaid shipping label and RMA for the exchange of cameras. I shipped mine out yesterday. It is scheduled for delivery to B&H next Monday. Hopefully I will have a replacement soon afterwards. The saying is that the third time is a charm. I am hoping that that is right and that there are no more RMAs, exchanges or repairs in my camera future...at least not in the near future. Thanks for your input and good wishes.

JDT

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#9. "RE: Rubber Seal By Card Door Fell Out, What To Do?" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Thu 17-Jan-13 10:05 PM

Nikon needs to get its customer relation/support house in order before it starts to cost market share. I agree - you should not have to glue a $3300 camera back together. I frankly think the slide started with the D700. I have two and love both. However, I have also replaced two hot shoes and the rubber on the left front side of one. I am anticipating replacing rubber on the right side of the other one. I still have my first Nikon -- an S Rengefinder -- and it still works perfectly. BTW, I have shifted my repair work to APS in Morton Grove, IL. They communicate and fix things -- a novel approach Nikon might wish to emulate with their own shops.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#10. "RE: Rubber Seal By Card Door Fell Out, What To Do?" | In response to Reply # 9

Thu 17-Jan-13 10:19 PM | edited Thu 17-Jan-13 10:25 PM by jim thomas

Hi Alan,

I think that Nikon would do itself a great favor by training its customer service folks to at least pretend to care about its customers. In part, what offended me was the attitude of the representative. There was no indication of any desire to even try to help me with the problem. The attitude was that the only obligation was to inform me of the applicable "Nikon Policy", which I understand to be: 1. If the part is one that is sold by Nikon, then the customer may buy the part (even though it is a brand new camera; or 2. Otherwise, pay the cost of shipping the camera for repair. It was particuarly frustrating because the part in question is a very small rubber piece that fits into the frame from the exterior....it looks like it should be replaceable by the customer.

I was also disappointed in the Nikon customer service because the representative misread my description of the problem and described it as a part by the battery chamber rather than a part by the card chamber. I pointed this out but got no response at all. In Nikon world the customer must fit into the Nikon pegs. Nothing else matters. In other words, the location of the part did not matter unless the part is a part sold by Nikon. And the representative did not bother to look this up himself. He referred me to the list of parts sold. So, once again, the burden is on the customer to figure out if the part is one sold by Nikon, in which case the customer may buy the part and install it. I don't think the representative even bothered to try to understand my problem...and it seemed clear that he did not care.

I still have my EL2 that I bought in 1975 or 1976. It still works as it did when new and has required no service at all....granted, it is mechanically a much simpler machine. However, it does seem that Nikon's standards may have deteriorated over the years. Thom Hogan has commented that it "seems" to him that the quality control for the D800/D800E may be lower than with previous cameras; however, he made it clear that his data is not sufficient for scientific sampling and that it is only a feeling. So far, I have not had good luck, having two D800Es that had problems. I am hoping that the replacement will be good on all counts.

JDT

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#11. "RE: Rubber Seal By Card Door Fell Out, What To Do?" | In response to Reply # 10

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Sat 19-Jan-13 03:53 AM

I'm posting to just clarify this thread so others may not have search for more info.

There is a photo in this link that clearly shows the rubber piece being discussed, https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=430&topic_id=16154&prev_page=show_topic&gid=16154#16242

My piece did not fall all the way out. But it was raised, so I just used an x-acto knife to slightly raise the edge a little more and placed a drop of glue behind it, and then pressed it back down into the slot.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

venusian

US
186 posts

#12. "RE: Rubber Seal By Card Door Fell Out, What To Do?" | In response to Reply # 11

Sun 20-Jan-13 02:36 PM | edited Mon 21-Jan-13 10:02 PM by venusian

Can someone post a picture of this seal? Not sure what I'm looking at. For some reason, the images associated with the thread reference given above are not coming through.

Much appreciated.

G