Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Paul4707

Arlington, US
53 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Paul4707 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2006
Fri 04-Jan-13 05:54 PM

I am not sure if this belongs in the D800 forum or in the digital processing forum, so I will let the moderator decide.

I just received my D800 and shot a few test images, but am experiencing a number of problems; I am running Windows 7 on Dell XPS with 8gb of RAM, a quad core processor and an i7:

First, the NEF images (i.e. thumbnails) are not displayed in my PC's image folder; all that appears is the NEF icon. (All my D700 images show up in their folders as thumbnails).

Second, when I open an image in Capture NX2 (version 2.3.5), the program opens my image to an automatic 66.7%. (My D700 images open at 25%).

Third, and most disconcerting is the fact that my D800 images (shot on a tripod, with mirror-lock up using a Nikon 70-200mm zoom) do not exhibit anywhere near the resolution of my D700 images. In fact, when I enlarge the images so that are equal in size on the screen, the D800 images are noticeably inferior in resolution and there is much greater pixiliation. (It looks like a 6mp image zoomed to about 100% in Capture NX2)

I am shooting uncompressed RAW; the image size displayed on the D800 is 7360 x 4912.

Clearly, I must be doing something wrong; shouldn't the D800 images have better (perhaps significantly better) resolution than my D700 RAW images? If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Paul Lebras

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

KennyE

East Lansing, US
12 posts

#1. "RE: D800 Images" | In response to Reply # 0

KennyE Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2008
Fri 04-Jan-13 09:54 PM

As for the NEF images in Windows 7, have you downloaded NEF Raw Codec from the Nikon Service and Support website? I shoot with a D3s and now I have the thumbnails in Windows Explorer. Ken

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61#Anchor-16

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#2. "RE: D800 Images" | In response to Reply # 1

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Sat 05-Jan-13 05:56 AM

>As for the NEF images in Windows 7, have you downloaded NEF
>Raw Codec from the Nikon Service and Support website? I shoot
>with a D3s and now I have the thumbnails in Windows Explorer.
>Ken
>
>http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61#Anchor-16
>

I would do this which would help with thumbnails, also Capture NX2 defaults to 16% zoom level when I open a NEF file..... Maybe you can post a sample image to help see whats going on...

Chris

SheriB

Southern York Co, US
1973 posts

#3. "RE: D800 Images" | In response to Reply # 1

SheriB Gold Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010
Sat 05-Jan-13 09:53 AM

He said his d700 images show up as thumbnails...is this somethingthat needs updated with new camera models?

Sheri Becker

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#4. "RE: D800 Images" | In response to Reply # 3

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sat 05-Jan-13 10:17 AM

Yes, the NEF RAW Codec does need updating to support new camera models.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10642 posts

#5. "RE: D800 Images" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sat 05-Jan-13 11:19 AM

Paul

You've got two sets of questions here - part about the D800 and images, and part about post processing software. If we can't quickly resolve the software questions here, it's probably better to move that discussion to the Nikon Software forum.

I'm running Capture NX2 and View on a Windows 7 i5 64 bit system with 8 GB of RAM. You should be fine from a system standpoint.

First things first. Can you use View NX2 to view the images? That's the most neutral viewer and uses the camera settings.

The D800 images should be excellent. Are you shooting NEF + JPEG or just NEF? It is possible to view the JPEG file and a basic JPEG would appear to have low resolution at 100%.

Images should be very sharp. The 70-200 f/2.8 performs very well at f/5 but you can see some softness wide open. Still, I regularly shoot it at f/3.2 or so. Be sure VR is off and shutter speeds are fast enough for a good test. Use the center sensor for AF. Try selecting a subject that is 15-20 feet away. A tripod is a good test, but I have no problems handheld if shutter speeds are 1/500 sec or higher.

Check the Picture Control settings and set it for Standard. Standard is a relatively neutral starting point and should produce good images without undue sharpening or contrast which can cause pixelation and artifacts. Set ISO on a reasonable value - ISO 200 or so for test purposes. Turn off D-Lighting and Active D-Lighting for now while you are testing - both can introduce noise or pixelation.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Paul4707

Arlington, US
53 posts

#6. "RE: D800 Images" | In response to Reply # 5

Sat 05-Jan-13 11:58 AM

After many trials and errors (including some of the recommendations cited in the responses), I think I determined the cause of the problem. I had been using Nikon Transfer 2 to download the images from my D700. I therefore did the same with my new D800, with the results outlined in my orginal post. I then tried View NX2, and the images loaded and displayed normally in both my folders and when using Capture NX2.

As Eric indicated, the images now show much greater resolution than those from my D700. Thanks to all for taking the time and effort to help with my problem.

Paul Lebras

Paul4707

Arlington, US
53 posts

#7. "RE: D800 Images" | In response to Reply # 5

Sat 05-Jan-13 11:58 AM | edited Sat 05-Jan-13 12:05 PM by Paul4707

Thanks again -- it's this kind of firendly helpful advice than makes Nikonians such a great site!

Paul Lebras

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#8. "RE: D800 Images" | In response to Reply # 2

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Sat 05-Jan-13 02:40 PM

>.....also Capture NX2 defaults to 16% zoom level when I open a NEF file.....

Same here - D800E NEF files open at 16% in NX2. The NEFs from some other cameras open at 33% but it doesn't seem to follow any logical pattern (related to the MP count):

D800E - 16%
D3x - 16%
D700 - 33%
D300 - 16%
D200 - 33%

I can't see any setting in NX2 that changes the default zoom level.

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#9. "RE: D800 Images" | In response to Reply # 6

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Sat 05-Jan-13 04:11 PM | edited Sun 06-Jan-13 05:59 AM by Robman3

Paul Hello,

I had a post up over in the CNX2 forum on this (similar) issue.

As a stand alone Transfer for whatever reason will not import the data at 14 bit, only at 12 bit hence the sizing constraints and resolution in RAW.

I was having trouble over the weekend on a shoot with missing control faders, and sizing.

My posted thread eventually was solved by trial and error and recalling that there had been advice on another thread after the D800 hit the shelves (by Nikon) to ingest RAW NEF data using the button on the tool bar in CNX2's latest version.

I erased both primary and backup files, and re-imported.

The acuity and detail, plus general look at 100% are (to me) stunning with a caveat that keepers (based upon intent and composition) require even more thought these days but what a wonderful machine the D800 is!

Here is the thread I eventually recalled as pointed out by another user: https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=255&mesg_id=255&page=

Rob

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1169 posts

#10. "RE: D800 Images" | In response to Reply # 9

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Sat 05-Jan-13 04:20 PM

Nikon Transfer also needs to be updated for the D800. See the post at the top of the D800 forum. It does now import files in 14bit.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10642 posts

#11. "RE: D800 Images" | In response to Reply # 10

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sat 05-Jan-13 08:21 PM

The stand alone Nikon Transfer program is for older cameras only. The D800 and similar new cameras should have images imported using the Nikon Transfer embedded in View NX2. It can be launched through auto-run when a card is mounted.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#12. "RE: D800 Images" | In response to Reply # 11

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Sun 06-Jan-13 06:00 AM

Thank you Eric.

RM

phil711

Williams, US
144 posts

#13. "RE: D800 Images" | In response to Reply # 4

phil711 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2008
Mon 07-Jan-13 07:48 PM

Hi Brian,

My iMac has this same problem -- it shows my D800E NEF files on the desktop and "Finder" as icons instead of thumbnails. My D700 NEF files show up correctly. Photomechanic also shows the D800E files correctly. NX2 works very well.

I have uploaded all of the current software updates from Apple and Nikon and do not know where to look next. Any suggestions? The iMac is about 4 years old -- wIth OS X v. 10.5.8. The codec seems to be only for PC's.

Many thanks,
Phil

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#14. "RE: D800 Images" | In response to Reply # 13

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Mon 07-Jan-13 08:17 PM

I'm sorry, but I have no experience with Mac's

You'd be better off asking in our Apple Postprocessing Forum.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4971 posts

#15. "RE: D800 Images" | In response to Reply # 13

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Tue 08-Jan-13 12:15 AM

>My iMac has this same problem -- it shows my D800E NEF files
>on the desktop and "Finder" as icons instead of
>thumbnails. My D700 NEF files show up correctly.
>Photomechanic also shows the D800E files correctly. NX2 works
>very well.
>
>I have uploaded all of the current software updates from Apple
>and Nikon and do not know where to look next. Any
>suggestions? The iMac is about 4 years old -- wIth OS X v.
>10.5.8. The codec seems to be only for PC's.

Phil, you sound like you are too out of date with the Apple operating system (10.5.x). I am running 10.7.5 and don't have the symptoms you describe. And 10.8.x is actually the current OS.

Am not sure of this, but it sounds likely, especially since you indicate you have applied all Apple software updates.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

phil711

Williams, US
144 posts

#16. "RE: D800 Images" | In response to Reply # 15

phil711 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2008
Tue 08-Jan-13 05:24 PM

Thanks for the comments, Steve. I strongly suspect you are correct. I will soon be shopping for a new OS and probably a new computer to run it. Actually, the D800 files seem to be taxing the old iMac, although NX2 is still working acceptably. I hope the new computer serves me as well as the old one.

Phil

G