Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

seems Nikon does have fix for green tint on LCD screen of the D800

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: seems Nikon does have fix for green tint on LCD screen of the D800" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 28-Dec-12 03:09 PM

Did you read the service order and the form letter? The service order has no mention of work on the screen, only that it was checked along with all the other normal post repair checks.
The form letter has no hallmarks of a Nikon document so there is little chance that it is real. People make fake images of new models and internal "documents" all the time to see if they can get a rise out of the most number of people.
I have seen dozens of D800s and a few D4's and none have had anything but accurate detailed displays with no hint of green. There might be some out there but no one has posted an image of one that I am aware of. My D800 has the best color reproduction of any digital camera I have used.
Is yours defective? Maybe you can post some images that show the problem. Some stated that their images were green and a few others commented that their screen was green, it would be nice to finally see an example of this "defect".
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

txstone12

Texas, US
599 posts

#2. "RE: seems Nikon does have fix for green tint on LCD screen of the D800" | In response to Reply # 0

txstone12 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012
Fri 28-Dec-12 09:02 PM

I posted this as a news item from NikonRumors as is routinely done on the Nikonians site. I see nothing wrong with the post. I don’t have the issue with my D800, but I didn’t realize that I had to take ownership for all posted news. Normally, members are encouraged to share news for what it’s worth for those who may be interested.

I have found NikonRumors to be a credible site for Nikon camera, lenses and processing accessories information. I respect your actions in trying to prevent the spread of misinformation. If you believe the site is not a reliable source of information, please let me know.

I read the post and I’ve reviewed the forms. The invoice repair list contains exactly the items I would expect to see

CKD LCD Unit
CKD Image Test
CKD LCD Display
CKD Image Color
CDK Flash Operation

I don’t expect they would list Recalibrate LCD? Do you?

The Dear Customers letter does not included letterhead. People have called it a fake on Noah Bershatsky’s own site and on the NikonRumors site. As far as I can see, they haven’t honored the assertion with a response in either place. Who don’t you trust? Ultimately, it’s a NikonRumors post, so if you think they picked up faked information, please let me know.

The discussion of D4 and D800/E green tint on the LCD has been around for months.

There is a picture comparing the D800 display to the D3s display here – but, it’s on the NikonRumors site

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/04/21/nikon-claims-that-the-greenish-d4d800-lcd-screen-is-more-accurate-than-the-d3sd700.aspx/

Thom Hogan even includes it in his ‘Debunking some Myths’ section in his D800 book. The LCD produces “green” images (pg 41), He says that Nikon claims to “calibrate” all LCDs to the same standard – no one knows what that standard is. He personally likes the new calibration but states as the “Bottom Line: there was a change in the LCD. Whether it’s for the better or not is up for question.” That just about sums it up.

I posted a news item from a web source, but in my own experience, a pretty reliable one. The news is essentially positive for those who perceive that they have such a problem. I’m absolutely remorseless about this post.

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#3. "RE: seems Nikon does have fix for green tint on LCD screen of the D800" | In response to Reply # 2

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sat 29-Dec-12 06:02 AM | edited Sat 29-Dec-12 06:11 AM by km6xz

Posting under the heading "seems Nikon does have fix for green tint on LCD screen of the D800" would lead a reader to think it was more than just another item but belief by the poster that there IS a problem and now there is a fix. Selecting that heading did not appear to be a neutral stance since headings or thread titles are a personal description of the thread contents.

The whole issue of green tint had faded away as a rumor many months ago and now is back, but still without supporting evidence. If a rumor has to rely on fake posts as its sole "proof" there is little chance of the rumor having basis in fact.

We will all take it seriously if a report has supporting evidence but thus far, after almost a year, that evidence of anyone having a green screen has not surfaced.

There are enough internet rumors that are hard for new users to filter out and Nikonians is a little different in this regard by trying to reduce confusion and by resisting passing misinformation. NikonRumors has a pretty good track record when Admin posts an aggregation of leaks he has gotten from his long time know reliable sources, but all other posts are not at all reliable even as internet rumors go. They are posted by people who try to generate a fast moving rumor to watch with amusement as is becomes "common knowledge". There are hundreds of such unsupported posts each year on NikonRumors to which the Admin does not his own personal endorsement. Those not confirmed as high probability are to be considered just rumors or fakes.

The check list on the repair order did not say repairs were done to the screen or calibration but were checked. Reading past service records would lead one to believe that it was checked and no work performed as in the case when nothing out of tolerance was found.

To have at least one out of hundreds of photography oriented forums that resists fanning rumors that have little supporting evidence is a good thing. It takes a lot of work to squelch bad information because the nature of the internet, bad information propagates faster and more thoroughly than good information. Yet Nikonians.org has been an oasis in the desert of bad information. I am sure you can appreciate the value of having at least one source of calm reasonable evidence backed information. That is why we are here as part of this particular community. .

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

txstone12

Texas, US
599 posts

#4. "RE: seems Nikon does have fix for green tint on LCD screen of the D800" | In response to Reply # 3

txstone12 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012
Sat 29-Dec-12 09:09 PM

>
>To have at least one out of hundreds of photography oriented
>forums that resists fanning rumors that have little supporting
>evidence is a good thing. It takes a lot of work to squelch
>bad information because the nature of the internet, bad
>information propagates faster and more thoroughly than good
>information. Yet Nikonians.org has been an oasis in the desert
>of bad information. I am sure you can appreciate the value of
>having at least one source of calm reasonable evidence backed
>information. That is why we are here as part of this
>particular community. .
>

I work very hard to prevent the spread of misinformation and appreciate that aspect of the community.

The original Nikon Rumors post was by NR ADMIN as were the photos of the D800 and D3s displays.

I don't think this is a deal breaking issue for informed prospective Nikon buyers and users, but the LCD green tint has been acknowledged and is real.

"Nikon explains D800 screen 'green cast' issues"

“Speaking to TechRadar, James Banfield from Nikon UK said, …”

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/nikon-explains-d800-screen-green-cast-issues-1081681

Nikon Rumors has been following this issue since the beginning, as you see from the above article. They chose to post the recent claimed "fix" as news. I'll continue to follow other reported instances of LCD recalibration by Nikon.

David

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#5. "RE: seems Nikon does have fix for green tint on LCD screen of the D800" | In response to Reply # 4

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sat 29-Dec-12 09:28 PM

Like Stan, I think the main problem here is that you chose to repeat (most of) NR's words in the title of your post.

The use of the phrase "fix for green tint" suggests that Nikon have admitted a fault and have developed a fix. But... nothing in Mr Bershatsky’s blog post - whether it is true or not - supports that conclusion. All he says is that Nikon adjusted the LCD calibration of his camera to be more to his own taste.

I believe Nikon have said that the newer camera LCD's do look different (in colour temperature) in some lighting conditions, but that this is actually more accurate than previous models. I don't believe Nikon consider it to be a design fault, nor do I think they are looking to "fix" it.

>Nikon Rumors has been following this issue since the beginning,
>as you see from the above article.

So have we

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16908 posts

#6. "RE: seems Nikon does have fix for green tint on LCD screen of the D800" | In response to Reply # 0

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Tue 01-Jan-13 05:02 AM

One thing I find is that the tint of an image will change on the LCD based on whether the camera is set to Adobe RGB or sRGB. If you make an identical shot in Adobe RGB and then sRGB, you'll see the image shift from slightly green to a more neutral tone. Since I shoot raw and my raw processor uses the color space default I've set in it rather than the camera, I leave my D800 (and D4 - same behavior) set to sRGB.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

dhanson91750

US
1 posts

#7. "RE: seems Nikon does have fix for green tint on LCD screen of the D800" | In response to Reply # 6

dhanson91750 Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2008
Sun 20-Jan-13 04:09 PM | edited Sun 20-Jan-13 04:18 PM by dhanson91750

I notice the green tint more on my D4 than on my D800. Just out of curiosity I sent Nikon an E-mail about the issue and I found the response to be interesting. I definitely think that there is an issue with the LCD calibration but Nikon just won't publicly admit it. I personally think that their reply is a bunch of nonsense especially when I can shoot a picture of something and immediately hold the camera up and review the image and on the LCD it looks green compared to what I'm standing in front of. I find that the displays on my D3x and D3 are very accurate. I also own a 5D MKIII and it's display is dead on as well. After dancing around and giving a convoluted explanation for the green tint of the LCD Nikon Basically told me that for $30 they can recalibrate the output of my LCD on my D4 and or D800 id I wanted. I'll have to decide if I can live with it or of I will send it in.

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#8. "RE: seems Nikon does have fix for green tint on LCD screen of the D800" | In response to Reply # 7

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Tue 22-Jan-13 03:52 PM

>I find that the displays on my D3x and D3 are very accurate.

Have you compared the white lettering (shot number & date) on the D3x's LCD with the white lettering on the D800's LCD?

The D3x lettering is white - the D800's is slightly green by comparison. It's only noticeable when the two cameras are placed side by side.

txstone12

Texas, US
599 posts

#9. "RE: seems Nikon does have fix for green tint on LCD screen of the D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Tue 29-Jan-13 02:03 AM | edited Tue 29-Jan-13 02:04 AM by txstone12

Welcome to Nikonians, Dan!

As I said above,

>I'll continue to follow other reported instances of LCD recalibration by Nikon.

Thom Hogan, in his recent D800/E Guide v1.05 update added a paragraph (pg 44) to say that some who have complained about the 'green tint' have gotten Nikon to adjust their LCD color at a repair facility. He does not mention price, but adds that if you elect this change, Nikon will advise you that the color adjustment is a non-factory setting and if a subsequent return is required, your LCD will be returned to the factory settings.

David

sazerac_the_dog

US
76 posts

#10. "RE: seems Nikon does have fix for green tint on LCD screen of the D800" | In response to Reply # 6

sazerac_the_dog Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jan 2009
Wed 30-Jan-13 06:34 PM

>One thing I find is that the tint of an image will change on
>the LCD based on whether the camera is set to Adobe RGB or
>sRGB. If you make an identical shot in Adobe RGB and then
>sRGB, you'll see the image shift from slightly green to a more
>neutral tone. Since I shoot raw and my raw processor uses the
>color space default I've set in it rather than the camera, I
>leave my D800 (and D4 - same behavior) set to sRGB.

Rick: I hope things are going well post Image Doctors. I do definitely have the green cast and do use Adobe rgb. I use LightRoom to import images and can't change color space from s RGB to Adobe rgb. Since the Green Tint only appears on the camera LCD and not my calibrated MAC monitor, why change anyway. Unless you want to have the true color on LCD.

Is there a way to get LR to do what your raw processor does? What RAW convertor do you use? I know you mentioned it on the podcasts but I forgot.

Thank you

David Arkin

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#11. "RE: seems Nikon does have fix for green tint on LCD screen of the D800" | In response to Reply # 9

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sun 03-Feb-13 11:01 PM

As Rick states above:
"One thing I find is that the tint of an image will change on the LCD based on whether the camera is set to Adobe RGB or sRGB. If you make an identical shot in Adobe RGB and then sRGB, you'll see the image shift from slightly green to a more neutral tone. Since I shoot raw and my raw processor uses the color space default I've set in it rather than the camera, I leave my D800 (and D4 - same behavior) set to sRGB."

and as Thom directed in his recent post, shoot sRGB if you are going to make ANY judgements about your image based on what you see in the LCD.

For years now, I have shot all my cameras in AdobeRGB but have now switched all my cameras to sRGB. Likewise, my Capture NX2 immediately switches me to ProPhoto in post, so I appreciate this new learning!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

G