Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
pastordcraig

Fort Yukon, US
37 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pastordcraig Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2011
Sat 08-Dec-12 05:14 PM

Hey all,

I had quite an experience the other day, and was wondering if anyone might have a possible explanation.

I picked up another 800E, and after charging the battery, etc. I put on a lens (Zeiss 35mm), pointed the camera at our woodstove, focused carefully, and released the shutter. The camera made a terrible, screeching sound and "Err" began flashing on the top LCD screen.

Thinking quickly, I banged the camera on the table a few times, turned it off then back on, removed the lens and fired the camera again. This time everything seemed normal. I replaced the lens, and haven't had any problems since.

Any ideas about what could have caused something like that? Yes, the camera was set for manual focus, and the lens was installed correctly-- the picture of the woodstove was fine.

It's obviously not a big deal since everything's working now, but I was just curious if anyone else has had anything similar happen to them.

By the way, I was just kidding about banging the camera on the table-- I'm not as dumb as my mom said. :~)

Later,
David C.
Fort Yukon, Alaska

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3333 posts

#1. "RE: Horrifying Noise!" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sat 08-Dec-12 09:49 PM

OMG, David. Thanks for including that last sentence! I was more concerned with the fate of the poor D800E than your situation until I read that! You may want to have the camera checked to see if anything happened. Hideous screeching sounds from $3400 cameras and $1500 lenses (I'm guessing) are not the norm. Good luck!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

pastordcraig

Fort Yukon, US
37 posts

#2. "RE: Horrifying Noise!" | In response to Reply # 1

Sun 09-Dec-12 04:40 AM

I considered having it inspected as you suggested, but I live inside the Arctic Circle, and shipping to a Nikon service center is a major ordeal involving small airplanes and temperatures far below zero (-50) in the cargo holds this time of year. Actually, I wondered if that kind of treatment on the way up here might have firmed up the lubricants, causing the malfunction. Anyway, I'm not sure if it's worth the risk-- I'm sure it would suffer a lot of abuse in transit, no matter how well I packed it.

I gave it a good workout this evening at a birthday party, and everything seemed normal, so I think I'm just going to watch it closely. By the way, you were about $500 high on your lens estimate-- it's the f/2 Biogon. :~)

Thanks for responding.

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#3. "RE: Horrifying Noise!" | In response to Reply # 2

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sun 09-Dec-12 02:22 PM

I wonder if the camera or lens bayonet contacts need gentle cleaning with contact cleaner? Just a thought.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3333 posts

#4. "RE: Horrifying Noise!" | In response to Reply # 2

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sun 09-Dec-12 11:56 PM

I fully understand not sending it off! I was feeling sorry for myself today -- rainy and 45 degrees. I grew up in Wisconsin, and we used to think it got cold there -- but you win this one! Good luck.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

pastordcraig

Fort Yukon, US
37 posts

#5. "RE: Horrifying Noise!" | In response to Reply # 3

Mon 10-Dec-12 12:34 AM

Howdy Richard,

It certainly wouldn't hurt anything, but both the lens and body are new, and look clean. Who knows? I'll go over it just to cover as many bases as possible. Thanks.

G