Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
mawyatt1

US
105 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mawyatt1 Registered since 11th Feb 2012
Sun 02-Dec-12 01:25 PM

Anyone have any experience with this wireless remote for remote trigger and remote flash trigger use with D800 and D7000? Any low cost recommendations?

MeiKe MK-RC7 N1 2.4GHz Wireless Remote Flash Trigger For Nikon D1/D1H/D2/D3 F5

Thanks,

OMMBoy

San Diego, US
678 posts

#1. "RE: Wireless Remote" | In response to Reply # 0

OMMBoy Registered since 22nd Feb 2007
Mon 03-Dec-12 03:19 AM

I don't have any experience with the brand you mentioned as I've been using this Cowboy Studio trigger for quite some time now and have been very happy with it. Friends I've recommended this trigger to have been happy with it as well. That's not to say that one is better than the other -- the technology is more or less the same, but you do get what you pay for.

Good luck!

Chris

Runfola Photography Gallery

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#2. "RE: Wireless Remote" | In response to Reply # 0

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Mon 03-Dec-12 11:28 AM

I have the Phottix Strato II Multi 5 in 1 trigger set. I got it for about $100 in April and it works great as a wired remote or as a wireless trigger to about 100+ yards. I had tried the Vivitar on my D90 last year and the Phottix is very much superior in quality and function. There are others out there with preferrences for other models but I am very happy with my choice of the Strato II and the price.

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

slothead

Frederick, US
1905 posts

#3. "RE: Wireless Remote" | In response to Reply # 0

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Aug 2009
Tue 04-Dec-12 09:06 PM

I use Phottix too (don't have it at hand so I can't tell you the exact model name/number).

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D810, D750, N1-J5, N1-V3 (and a few other cameras) and a BIG handful of lenses.

Kidkett

Campo, US
442 posts

#4. "RE: Wireless Remote" | In response to Reply # 0

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010
Wed 05-Dec-12 09:00 AM

Hi Mike,

I have the RFN-4S kit for $70.00 that is the greatest little remote that I have ever had. Says it will go to 100 meters but I have never used it that far. Got it off Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rfn-4s+wireless+remote&sprefix=RFN-4%2Caps%2C745

It fits right in the socket and uses the camera for power and one AAA in the transmitter. You can turn it off and on, on your camera. Still can use you flash and doesn’t block anything on your camera. You can’t beat it!!!

Good Luck,
Bill

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

OMMBoy

San Diego, US
678 posts

#5. "RE: Wireless Remote" | In response to Reply # 4

Wed 05-Dec-12 02:19 PM

I have the same unit for remotely triggering the camera and love it! Plus, it looks really cool when it's installed ;)

But, for triggering off-camera flashes, I still recommend the Cowboy Studio triggers or one of the others suggested by previous posters.

Chris

mawyatt1

US
105 posts

#6. "RE: Wireless Remote" | In response to Reply # 4

mawyatt1 Registered since 11th Feb 2012
Wed 05-Dec-12 02:21 PM

Thanks to all for the information.

paul_7e

Farmington, US
321 posts

#7. "RE: Wireless Remote" | In response to Reply # 4

paul_7e Silver Member Charter Member
Thu 20-Jun-13 07:37 PM

Hi,
I just received the RFN-4s kit to use with my D700, and after installing the battery in the transmitter, and installing the receiver in the 10-pin socket on the camera, I can't get the kit to work. When I turn on the camera and receiver, the receiver blinks (red light). When I push the shutter on the transmitter, it lights up blue, but no picture is taken. In the setup menu on the D700, the "Wireless Transmitter" option is grayed out. Am I missing something. Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul

OMMBoy

San Diego, US
678 posts

#8. "RE: Wireless Remote" | In response to Reply # 7

Fri 21-Jun-13 12:07 AM

Have you ensured that both units, the transmitter and the receiver, are set to the same channel? On the front of the receiver, you will see four little white switches. If you open the battery compartment of the transmitter, you will also see four little white switches. Make sure the switches on both the transmitter and receiver are set identically.

Hope this helps!

Chris

paul_7e

Farmington, US
321 posts

#9. "RE: Wireless Remote" | In response to Reply # 8

Fri 21-Jun-13 01:26 AM

Thanks for the reply, Chris. When I first tried the kit, I didn't change the channels from the original settings out of the box. I read a review somewhere that said that should work. Then I changed the channels on both units, and that didn't work, so I tried another channel setting, and it still doesn't work. I'll try again tomorrow with a fresh battery in the transmitter. Maybe my home WI-FI is interfering with the reception between the transmitter and receiver. I'll keep trying. Thanks again.

Paul

LAMILLER

Moncks Corner, US
266 posts

#10. "RE: Wireless Remote" | In response to Reply # 9

LAMILLER Registered since 13th Jun 2013
Fri 21-Jun-13 12:22 PM

I'm not trying to be smart, but I have to ask this you sure you are not turning the reciever off instead of on? The red light on the receiver will blink either way once but will continue to blink ontiniously when the reciever is on.

I have the same remote and when i first installed it I had the same problem. I had to figure out on my own which stzte was on.

paul_7e

Farmington, US
321 posts

#11. "RE: Wireless Remote" | In response to Reply # 10

Fri 21-Jun-13 07:04 PM

Thanks for the reply, Larry. I finally got it to work. I changed a few things, so I don't know which one made it work, but it works. I put a new battery in, and I changed the channel settings on both units, and now it works. I'm so happy! As far as I know, the receiver was on, because it blinked continuously, but the blue focus LED did not come on. Now it does. Anyway, thanks again.
Paul

OMMBoy

San Diego, US
678 posts

#12. "RE: Wireless Remote" | In response to Reply # 11

Fri 21-Jun-13 08:42 PM

Glad to hear you got everything working! Enjoy your wireless remote

Chris

G