Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Colour Saturation & D800

Dibyendu1

IN
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Dibyendu1 Registered since 25th Aug 2012
Thu 18-Oct-12 11:54 PM

I purchased D800 one and half months back. I recently took it to Fiji in my official travel. It was nice green & blue. After downloading the photos I am disappointed, when I compare with the photos taken on slide film last year. I was using RAW (most probably without any colour balance correction by the camera software). Some of them are in P-mode as I could change it to manual and later it was manual exposure & manual focus. Do I need to set my camera differently to get nice saturation of colour or I need to change the file format.

Another observation, when I shoot aligning the camera vertically, there is a cropping and not taking the full LCD & same after download. Is ther any configuration to change this to remove the crop ?

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#1. "RE: Colour Saturation & D800" | In response to Reply # 0

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Fri 19-Oct-12 01:39 AM

The fact that the D800 files are less saturated than your slide film is normal, especially if you use RAW, and especially if you happen to use saturated slide film like Velvia 50. The D800 has a lot of dynamic range (more than slide film which we know is difficult to expose in contrast scenes). Nikon had to fit all that extra highlight and shadow data into the RAW file, data which the slide film does not have, with the result that the RAW image by default may not look as punchy.

So this is by intention. The RAW file with all this data now gives you a huge margin to work with, to change the curves, contrast, saturation etc in post processing. You can easily bring it up to the slide look and way beyond. Programs like Lightroom make this quite easy. But if you don't have much experience with this yet, another option is to use JPEG, and choose a picture control like Vivid. Since the D800 has two card slots, a good way to do this is to set the camera to NEF + JPEG, and configure slot 1 for NEF and slot 2 for JPEG. That way you have both - the JPEGs for immediate, good looking results, and the RAW for more intricate work later as you gain practice.

Regarding the vertical (portrait) orientation, there is no way the images are cropped any differently than in landscape orientation. So what you're seeing is probably an illusion. The D800 LCD does NOT have the same aspect ratio as the full size image, so seeing black borders is normal.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

Hawk Eyes

US
167 posts

#2. "RE: Colour Saturation & D800" | In response to Reply # 1

Hawk Eyes Registered since 09th Jun 2012
Fri 19-Oct-12 06:39 AM | edited Fri 19-Oct-12 06:43 AM by Hawk Eyes

TomCurious, has given you the best Answer you are going to get IMO.... I would try everything he has Suggested. The only way to get close to what you saw with your eyes, is shooting RAW and post processing.
Cameras never capture the real color that we see with our own eyes. But some do it much better than others. With the Raw files from the D800 you can pull more color and detail then ever before in any DSLR ever made. Good luck

pastordcraig

Fort Yukon, US
37 posts

#3. "RE: Colour Saturation & D800" | In response to Reply # 0

pastordcraig Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2011
Fri 19-Oct-12 01:33 PM

Tom's answer was exactly right, but a little on the technical side for a simple guy like me. If you're in the same boat, here's how I think of it: RAW files are a lot like film negatives-- they have to be developed in your computer. If you want the vivid colors straight out of your camera, you have to go with Jpegs.

One thing that I don't think Tom mentioned is that your camera's Picture Controls (Vivid, Standard, Landscape, etc.) don't affect your RAW files at all. They only affect Jpeg files. They DO affect what you see when you play back your images on your camera because the camera produces a Jpeg file for you to view, but when you get it on your computer, you'll only see the unprocessed RAW.

Hope that makes sense. You might pick up a copy of "Mastering the D800" by Nikonians' very own Digital Darrell. It's a great book-- well written, well thought out, and it will definitely answer your questions.

Keep at it.

David C.
Fort Yukon, AK

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kiu

Pleasanton, US
73 posts

#4. "RE: Colour Saturation & D800" | In response to Reply # 0

kiu Registered since 09th May 2012
Fri 19-Oct-12 04:02 PM

Which software are you using for post processing?

Between CaptureNX2/ViewNX2 and Adobe I like the colors I get from RAW using NX2. IMO, raw output colors from NX2 is more true.

Dibyendu1

IN
3 posts

#5. "RE: Colour Saturation & D800" | In response to Reply # 4

Dibyendu1 Registered since 25th Aug 2012
Fri 19-Oct-12 10:43 PM

Thanks Tom, David & Hawk Eyes. I would try what you have suggested.

Regarding the book I was curious and was checking in Amazon, but it seems to me similar to the D800 Manual from the menu. Does it contain more detail tips like info like your suggestion to help a digital new bee ?

Regards,

Dibyendu
India

pastordcraig

Fort Yukon, US
37 posts

#6. "RE: Colour Saturation & D800" | In response to Reply # 5

Sat 20-Oct-12 03:19 PM

Greetings again, Dibyendu,

Darrell's book is far more helpful than the manual. It's laid out in a much more logical, easier to navigate order than the Nikon manual. It not only tells you what the different buttons and settings on your camera do, but WHEN and WHY you might want to use them (or not use them)-- that is a huge difference between the book and the manual. The book has a section at the end of each chapter called "Recommended Settings" that I believe most folks will find very helpful. Of course, you don't have to follow the recommendations if your preferences differ from the author's, but they're well thought out, and will work well for the majority of D800 users.

Hope that helps,

David C.

wwt67

Warsaw, US
362 posts

#7. "RE: Colour Saturation & D800" | In response to Reply # 3

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010
Sat 20-Oct-12 09:29 PM

>One thing that I don't think Tom mentioned is that your
>camera's Picture Controls (Vivid, Standard, Landscape, etc.)
>don't affect your RAW files at all. They only affect Jpeg
>files. They DO affect what you see when you play back your
>images on your camera because the camera produces a Jpeg file
>for you to view, but when you get it on your computer, you'll
>only see the unprocessed RAW.
>
>David C.
>Fort Yukon, AK

If you view or edit RAW files in Capture NX2 or View NX2, you will see the results of picture controls. Other software will not show the affects of picture controls because it cannot read the in camera settings.
Capture and View NX2 will also allow you to change the picture controls, so if you don't like what you shot with, you can change it later.

Picture controls will make permanent changes to jpegs.

pastordcraig

Fort Yukon, US
37 posts

#8. "RE: Colour Saturation & D800" | In response to Reply # 7

Sat 20-Oct-12 11:25 PM

That's right, of course. I didn't make my point very clearly. Thanks for the clarification.

wfmcgrath3

Livingston, US
77 posts

#9. "RE: Colour Saturation & D800" | In response to Reply # 7

wfmcgrath3 Registered since 25th Feb 2012
Wed 31-Oct-12 02:04 PM

If you are using Lightroom 4.x, you can apply Adobe's interpretation of the Picture Controls to the representation of your RAW file. In the Develop mode, in the right-hand panel, go down to Camera Calibration, and click on the little arrows to the right of the Profile selector. You'll see the different Picture Controls shown as Camera Vivid, Camera Portrait, Camera Landscape, etc. Choose your preferred interpretation, then fine tune using the other available sliders in Basic, Tone Curve, HSL, etc. Once you have found a combination that you think you might use repeatedly, create a preset using your current settings, and one click will get the same settings applied to any RAW file.

Creating images the new-fashioned way!

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10631 posts

#10. "RE: Colour Saturation & D800" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Wed 31-Oct-12 05:24 PM

One other thing to keep in mind is the color of your image files may be greater than your monitor. Make sure you have the correct color space set for your software.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

G