Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Mon 01-Oct-12 03:39 PM | edited Mon 01-Oct-12 04:22 PM by walk43

I was trying to decide whether to keep my TC17Eii or not so I set up some tests with the D800/Nikkor 300mm f/4 and the TC17Eii.

The shots below taken at 750mm total (exif data = D800 w/300 f/4, ISO 1600 and the TC17Eii in DX mode). The sunflower was taken at about 20 feet, the bee at about 6 feet, the finch at 40 ft and the neighbors chimney was at a distance of about 150 yards. I am satisfied with these results considering the focal length and overall quality when using the TC17.

The long focal length, with the 300 f/4 on a tripod and the Manfrotto lens support, seems to meet "my" expectations when shooting this combo and I am thinking of now keeping the TC17.

Any opinions or comments? (I am not looking for praise of the photos just whether you think they are also good enough considering they are at 750mm and cropped about 70% each.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gorji

Jamesville, US
311 posts

#1. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 0

gorji Registered since 07th Jan 2007
Mon 01-Oct-12 03:12 PM

I think they are great photos. Do you like that lens? What made you get the TC1.7 versus 1.4?

I am not so sure that the effective focal length become 750mm. I thought that only happens on a DX camera. But I am probably wrong.
-------------
Please visit my galleries: Reza Gorji Photography

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#2. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 01-Oct-12 03:52 PM | edited Mon 01-Oct-12 03:56 PM by walk43

>I think they are great photos. Do you like that lens? What
>made you get the TC1.7 versus 1.4?
>
>I am not so sure that the effective focal length become 750mm.
> I thought that only happens on a DX camera. But I am
>probably wrong.

Thanks Reza. I bought the TC17 a few months back when I read Mansurovs comments about how good the TC14 was on the 300 f/4 and he said the TC17 was also very good. I got the TC17 because I wanted the extra reach over the TC14...I figured I could walk a little closer to get the effect of the 14 but not the 17 so I was trying it out. So that's why I chose the TC17.

I love the lens...the 300 f/4, 70-200 VR and the 105 VR are my best glass. I wish the 300 had VR so that I could hand hold sometimes but on the tripod I think it is great. And I only use the 300 for more distant shots as a carry along lens with the TC attached.

Regarding the focal length. I just took the 750 off of the exif data when I right click on the photo and look at properties/details. I rarely shoot the DX mode on my D800 since I can crop anyway ...but I did for these shots...and in these tests I (and the data calculator in the camera) calculate the focal length as 300mm X 1.7 for the TC X 1.5 for the DX effect. That actually calculates to 765 but I can't explain the 15 difference.

Now here is the interesting part....a few weeks ago I was reading Hogans and Mansurovs tips for taking sharper pics and I put their settings into my D800... and it really made a difference for me!! Using the same techniques etc. as I always had. I don't know what it was but all of a sudden I am getting MANY more keepers....and I like that a lot. So I tried using the same settings with the 300 f/4 test today and this is what I got....every time.

Enough said ...but I have been a real happy camper the last 2 weeks after making those adjustments.

Dan

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#3. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 0

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006
Mon 01-Oct-12 04:28 PM | edited Mon 01-Oct-12 04:29 PM by klrbee25

I can tell you my own experience. I've used the TC-17 with my 70-200 VRI on my D300 for a long time and really liked the combo for its versatility. It worked well on the DX body as long as I stopped down to f/6.3 or so. Then I started using the combo on my D800 and I no longer like it. The TC-17 kills the images' contrast. Shooting similar subjects with the TC taken off just underscores how much the image contrast suffers when it's used.

So I too have been considering selling my TC-17. I just don't want to let it go since it may prove useful if I buy some big glass down the road.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#4. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 3

Mon 01-Oct-12 05:08 PM | edited Mon 01-Oct-12 06:23 PM by walk43

>I can tell you my own experience. I've used the TC-17 with
>my 70-200 VRI on my D300 for a long time and really liked the
>combo for its versatility. It worked well on the DX body as
>long as I stopped down to f/6.3 or so. Then I started using
>the combo on my D800 and I no longer like it. The TC-17 kills
>the images' contrast. Shooting similar subjects with the TC
>taken off just underscores how much the image contrast suffers
>when it's used.
>
>So I too have been considering selling my TC-17. I just don't
>want to let it go since it may prove useful if I buy some big
>glass down the road.

Thanks Alex,

I can't dispute your results but I just did the same test shots with my 70-200 VR1 and have the same results as with the 300 f/4. Maybe even a little better. I am not going to post it unless you want me too but in general both the lenses work equally well with my TC17. As I mentioned in my reponse to Reza, I did not like my results very much until I switched my settings on the D800. A month ago I was not really satisfied with the TC17 on any lens...now it seems to be ok for me. Are you seeing the contrast weaknesses you speak of in my pics in the first post?? Maybe I just don't see it.

And I have post processed these shots in PS, since I view my results and the quality I get only after PP. Quite frankly, if I can get my pics to where I like them, I don't care if they come out on the camera that way. Also, if I shot RAW (which I have done several times), they would be even better. I don't mess with RAW much just yet. My 1st goal is to get consistant with the D800 and lenses in Jpeg, then go to RAW and they should be even better.

PS: You have some "spectacular" shots on your Flickr site. My admiration to you and your skills!!!! Seriously.

Dan

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#5. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 4

Mon 01-Oct-12 06:56 PM

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the nice comments on my photos.

I really notice the contrast loss when I compare photos side by side. This past trip I took to the Tetons, I photographed some bison with the TC and then removed it as the light was fading. The shots with the 70-200 alone are leagues better. I'll see if I can post a couple examples when I get home from work.

What settings did you change on the D800? I always shoot RAW but I don't think any camera settings really impact photos aside from the basic exposure values (shutter speed, f-stop, ISO, maybe ADL and in camera noise reduction). If you're shooting JPEG, then all those Nikon settings and color controls can really impact output.

-Alex Rosen

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#6. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 5

Mon 01-Oct-12 07:49 PM | edited Mon 01-Oct-12 08:24 PM by walk43

Alex,

Here is the link to Mansurovs web site article on 'sharper images" (new web site name).

http://photographylife.com/how-to-take-sharp-photos

This will be WAY to basic for you but for me it took me back to the basics and forced me to go down the list and set things accordingly. As you said, the settings on the 800 can mess up the jpegs and make things unrecoverable so maybe now is the time for me to switch to RAW. Looking at your images has inspired me some and now that I have repeatable results with my 3 best lenses and the TC I should probably switch to over to RAW.

My changes/validations were:
..Pic control to neutral w/settings to 0 for contr/sharpness/etc.
..ISO ctl ON
..Max ISO = 1600
..High ISO normal
..ActiveD & HDR to OFF
..Minimum shutter 1/250.. but always keep it at 2X focal length
..Center weighted at .8
..WB auto but always check
..VR off on tripod active handheld
..Adjust EXP CTL to the right on histograms
..Also being aware of when to use AF-c and AF-s had a big impact. With shallow DOF and body sway the AF-s gets me in trouble and for moving bugs, AF-s lets me lose focus. I always use center point focus with AF-s focus /release and AF-c release settings.

Like I said, I don't know what happened but when I reset and checked my settings my picture became consistantly better.

Thx again.

Dan

gorji

Jamesville, US
311 posts

#7. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 2

gorji Registered since 07th Jan 2007
Mon 01-Oct-12 10:32 PM

Dan:
You are correct regarding the DX focal length. In fact I took two pictures of the same object this evening while sitting at my desk. The one in DX move was larger.

Thanks so much for your input on the 300mm lens. I know this is comparing apples and oranges but I did not consider this lens until recently because I thought of my 70-300 lens which covers the 300 mm area.

Thanks again.
-------------
Please visit my galleries: Reza Gorji Photography

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#8. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 6

Tue 02-Oct-12 06:05 PM

Great Dan. Thanks for the link.

I strongly suggest you switch to RAW. Once you do, you'll look back and laugh every time you see your old JPEGs and how limited your post-processing is with them. The file size really isn't an issue with the low-cost hard drives available today. And unless you're travelling a ton or shooting many professional jobs, you shouldn't have thousands upon thousands of files to store. I've gone back through my libraries and critically selected good images while trashing the bad. I used to machine gun my photos and get 20 of the exact same moment only to store the 19 extras for no reason. Now I'm much more selective and have a much higher keeper rate with fewer overall clicks. Thinking before shooting and being selective has really helped my photography once controlling the camera became second nature.

-Alex Rosen

jwrupley

Holland, PA, US
166 posts

#9. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 2

jwrupley Registered since 25th Apr 2008
Tue 02-Oct-12 09:56 PM

Dan
Do you mind providing the link to the Hogan and Mansourv tips on sharpness? I tried googling it, but was not able to find it. I would be interested in reading the articles.

Thanks.

John

JW Rupley
--------

Photo Shoots are like a box of chocolates, you just never know what you might get!

My Gallery

My Other Gallery
http://johnwrupley.zenfolio.com/

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#10. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 9

Tue 02-Oct-12 10:06 PM

John,

Here is the link to Mansurovs new web site name and the article on taking sharper pics.

http://photographylife.com/how-to-take-sharp-photos

It is a lot basic stuff... but sometimes that helps me!! I could not find Hogans article or remember where I read it.

Sorry.

Dan

Searider

Austin, US
231 posts

#11. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 7

Searider Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Nov 2004
Wed 03-Oct-12 03:17 PM

>You are correct regarding the DX focal length. In fact I took
>two pictures of the same object this evening while sitting at
>my desk. The one in DX move was larger.

I don't believe that the DX setting caused the picture to be larger. In fact it is smaller (Less Pixels). using DX setting is letting the camera automatically and irevokably crop your image. the result is exactly the same as if you took a full frame picture and then cropped it in post processing.

I see only a couple of values in using DX mode
1. Reduce the overall file size
2. Framing assistance if you don't want to post process and are using a DX lens.

-------------------------------------------------
You can't have a light without a dark to stick it in.
-- Arlo Guthrie --
-------------------------------------------------

-Michael-

More Pictures : http://pbase.com/mboswell

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#12. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 11

Wed 03-Oct-12 04:00 PM | edited Wed 03-Oct-12 04:03 PM by walk43

Searider,

The original question raised by my initial post was associated with the exif data imbedded in the pic stating that the FL was 750 and Reza questioned whether that was correct. Nothing about file size... and I think that Reza in his later post was speaking about FOV being "larger" or appearing "closer". At least that's how I took it.

The topic of which format, FX or DX is better for the D800 has been discussed here, and virtually all who understand what "reach" really is, agree that you can crop before or after but it is either in camera or in PP. There are advantages to FX over DX and actually some for DX over FX including the ones you mention... but the bottom line is that cropping is cropping as you state.

Reza was questioning the 750mm FL that I stated for the pics..and I was explaining how it was calculated in the exif data, being "focal length of 300mm X 1.7 for the TC X 1.5 for the DX effect. That actually calculates to 765 but I can't explain for certain the 15mm difference.

Dan

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4968 posts

#13. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Wed 03-Oct-12 04:54 PM

I love my TC17 and have used it on my D7000 (equivalent pixel density) fairly extensively. I have especially relied on the TC17E since shooting more on FX these days. Likewise on my 70-200 I & II I always try and stop down to f6.3 at minimum. On my 500 though I have shot it wide-open pretty extensively too.

We'll see, I haven't shot a TC17 on a D800, but will keep everyone posted. I hope to be doing some shooting with that combo this weekend.

I like your House Finch, looks good to me!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#14. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 0

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012
Wed 03-Oct-12 06:12 PM

Photos are very sharp but you were at 765mm FOV and 510mm FL.
Just saying.

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#15. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 14

Wed 03-Oct-12 07:32 PM

Interesting. I just went back to the EXIF data (see below snippit) and it does show 500mm as the FL and 750 as the 35mm FL. I just thought the 35mm part reflected the FOV difference. Maybe I need some clarification on this.

Here is the EXIF data from the pic:

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Dan

jwrupley

Holland, PA, US
166 posts

#16. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 10

jwrupley Registered since 25th Apr 2008
Wed 03-Oct-12 10:06 PM

Dan
Heck, if you can't get the basic stuff right, what chance do you have with the advanced stuff. I always manage to find something in these types of articles that helps me. Thanks for passing it along.

John

JW Rupley
--------

Photo Shoots are like a box of chocolates, you just never know what you might get!

My Gallery

My Other Gallery
http://johnwrupley.zenfolio.com/

EricBarney

US
32 posts

#17. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 15

EricBarney Registered since 02nd Oct 2012
Wed 03-Oct-12 10:40 PM

After reading this discussion, I am thinking I might not like my TC-20EII. (With my D800, and 70-200 F2.8 AFS VR.) I'll give it a try, but will be expecting less than stellar results.

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4968 posts

#18. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 17

Wed 03-Oct-12 11:07 PM | edited Wed 03-Oct-12 11:10 PM by KnightPhoto

Just to clarify Eric, TC20E II or III?

I had the II (which is the older less favoured design) and with a lot of effort you could get some results (see attached gallery). Basically you have to stop the older II (and I) models down to f9/10/11.
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/9564

But the new TC20E III model is unanimously considered better optically and requires less stopping down from what I have read.

I still might get a TC20E III someday. For now I have my TC14 and TC17.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#19. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 15

Thu 04-Oct-12 01:34 AM

Forget about EXIF.
300x1.7=510mm that is 510mm no matter what camera it is on.
On 1.5x crop camera your magnification is still 510mm but your FOV is 765mm.

Now, it all depends which cameras you compare.
D7000 and D800 are exactly the same for example. So no extra pixel reach. Just like taking the picture FF and cropping yourself.
D7000 to D4 you get a lot more pixel reach with D7000.

All above is technically speaking. There are other factors involve.

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4968 posts

#20. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 19

Thu 04-Oct-12 01:59 AM

>...
>
>Now, it all depends which cameras you compare.
>D7000 and D800 are exactly the same for example. So no extra
>pixel reach. Just like taking the picture FF and cropping
>yourself.
>D7000 to D4 you get a lot more pixel reach with D7000.
>...

Because of factors like you describe here, I go thru endless gyrations plotting which cameras from which to form my ideal camera kit

Sometimes I wish I had a simple plan, such as going all FX like some people do, but alas I'm a wildlife guy on top of everything else I shoot.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#21. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 19

Thu 04-Oct-12 08:17 AM

Good discussion here. Thanks. I understand everything you and others are saying except 1 thing....why do Nikon and others refer to "35mm Focal Length" in the exif data? What EXACTLY does that mean? Should they being saying FOV instead? Or is the FL somehow referencing a "35mm" film format? They use the term " 35mm FL". So what are they trying to tell us by using that phrase ??

Dan

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#22. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 21

Thu 04-Oct-12 07:00 PM

Probably because before they had cameras with the approximately the same MPs but in crop factor and FF (35mm) format. Obviously, you get more "pixel reach" with crop factor camera because you are laying more pixels on the subject. Now with D800 you get the same MP density as crop factor camera (not counting new 24mp crop camera) so my guess they are trying to show you what it would be in FOV instead of FL. Since FOV is what you see with your own eyes and FL is what you know maybe that is why it is easier to do it on FOV. Just a guess.

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#23. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 20

Thu 04-Oct-12 07:16 PM

>Because of factors like you describe here, I go thru endless
>gyrations plotting which cameras from which to form my ideal
>camera kit
>
>Sometimes I wish I had a simple plan, such as going all FX
>like some people do, but alas I'm a wildlife guy on top of
>everything else I shoot.

Yep, I had the same problem. I had Canon 5D2 and 7D. I sold 5D2 and got D800e thinking I would sell all my wide angle lenses and buy all new wide angle for Nikon.
I did but I also bought Sigma 50-500mm OS for Nikon (I have one for Canon too) and took it to air show. Here I found out that having 7D with 18mps (46mp FF) is not any better than D800 with the same lens.
Why? Many reasons.
First of all 7D even at 100 ISO is much noisier than D800 at up to 1600 ISO if I pixel peep.
Second reason is that with all that "reach" the photos are not any better because the further the object the more atmospheric distortions.
So over all I am better off with D800 than 7D for reach.
So now I am waiting for Canon to come up with high resolution camera
by CES or I am selling all remaining Canon stuff and getting the second D800.

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#24. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 22

Thu 04-Oct-12 07:37 PM

I never heard the expression 'pixel pitch' before this thread.. so I looked it up and it makes sense(complicated but makes sense.

Then in their comparison tables (long technical article) they used the expression "35mm equiv. FOV focal length". My guess is that this is what the exif data is referring to ... and consistant with your explaination. I just love learning this stuff. Great discussion topic for the Thanksgiving table next month!!

THX

Dan

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#25. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 24

Thu 04-Oct-12 10:07 PM

Just for your knowledge. You can't compare very old cameras with new cameras on pixel pitch. The reason is that all new cameras have gapless lenses on the pixels. That is right each pixel has lens on it to amplify the light. On very old cameras pixels were smaller and had gaps in between. That is why new cameras are so much more light sensitive and less noisy. At least one of the reasons, that is.

EricBarney

US
32 posts

#26. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 18

Thu 04-Oct-12 11:12 PM

SteveK. I have the TC-20E II. I will eventually get the III, as I have read that it is significantly better. I have got to try to keep as much of that 'reach' as possible. The loss of the 1.5x factor from DX format is bad enough. Though the advantages of the FX certainly outweigh that....

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4968 posts

#27. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 26

Fri 05-Oct-12 02:11 AM

Hi Eric,

Yes, from all reports the III is the way to go. I've been going thru some of that FX "loss" myself recently shooting lower res FX for birding. Well for the first time, I am going to give high res FX a good go this weekend.

With the D800, we don't really have any "loss" to speak of, since the D800 equals or out-resolves all other Nikon DX cameras unless one happened to own a D3200, so it is going to be very interesting to try out

I am going birding this weekend so it will be fun to try. Hope we get some subjects (of pretty much any kind) in decent range. Distance is the killer with birding. This is Canadian Thanksgiving so I've got three days (and three mountaintops) to search for migrating raptors. Bit of an exploratory trip so we don't really know if we'll get any close in views or just distant ones.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#28. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 25

Fri 05-Oct-12 08:27 AM

Thanks Eugene,

I appreciate the input and here is a link to the paper I looked up on 'pixel reach'. I thought you may be interested. I can follow it but perhaps you can "qualify" it. It was written in 2010 and compares the D7000 to other cameras.

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/telephoto_reach/

Dan

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#29. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 21

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Fri 05-Oct-12 03:08 PM

>why do Nikon and others
>refer to "35mm Focal Length" in the exif data?

The use of "35mm equivalent" in EXIF data is simply an arithmetical calculation based on the relative physical sizes of the sensors. A Nikon DX sensor has a crop factor of 1.5x. It has nothing to do with pixel count or pitch.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#30. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 28

Fri 05-Oct-12 09:11 PM

This article compares only Canon cameras. Specifically 7D with the highest pitch.
But you have to understand few things about this article.
It is written as we say "technically speaking".
For example I would prefer 5D2 (5D3) to 7D anyday.

Someone said "The only time crop camera wins over FF camera if you are focal length limited" technically speaking that is correct but in real life most of the time it is not true.

I might not be able to get closer to the moon, after all it is 384,000 miles away but I sure can get closer to most subjects on land if I really wanted to. If there is a will there is a way.

Also, take a look at the image of the moon from 7D compared to 1D4.
I sure like 1D4 image better.
And I bet if D800e was used, it would probably create the best image in that situation even though 7D is, technically speaking, 46mp camera in FF terms.

EricBarney

US
32 posts

#31. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 27

Fri 05-Oct-12 11:14 PM

Good luck on your weekend trip SteveK. That sounds like it will be a good time no matter who shows up! My bird season really gets going in the later winter months. (I am in Florida) I plan to try to get out to the everglades a few times this year for some shots of my own.

By then, I should know my D800 camera a bit better. And yes, the FX hi-res advantage is probably bigger than I think!

RavenDog

Jeannette, US
154 posts

#32. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 29

RavenDog Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2009
Sat 13-Oct-12 12:11 AM

A most pleasant surprise!

I just purchased a 300mm F4 and thought I'd have to sell my 17EII and get a 14EII. Just tried it today and it works like a charm on the D800. I had forgot about the D800 moving up to f8.

wwt67

Warsaw, US
362 posts

#33. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 32

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010
Sat 13-Oct-12 06:02 PM

>A most pleasant surprise!
>
>I just purchased a 300mm F4 and thought I'd have to sell my
>17EII and get a 14EII. Just tried it today and it works like
>a charm on the D800. I had forgot about the D800 moving up to
>f8.

When your ready to go to 600mm with that lens, add the 20E III and be amazed. I shoot this setup on my D800 at f10. Focus is a little slower but not much. No hunting or missed focus. On a tripod the results are amazing.

Hawk Eyes

US
167 posts

#34. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 0

Hawk Eyes Registered since 09th Jun 2012
Sat 13-Oct-12 06:24 PM | edited Sat 13-Oct-12 06:25 PM by Hawk Eyes

Very nice, great shots and color. I just got a Tc-20E III for my 70 200 love it at 400 !

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4968 posts

#35. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 31

Mon 15-Oct-12 01:48 AM

Had a fun first weekend with my D800E. Most of the Golden Eagles were a little too distant and up-light to be great photo ops, but we saw 227 of them with exceeded my life total by a factor of 10!

This is TC17E and 500VR and D800E at ISO 3200 and 2500 respectively on juvenile Golden Eagle and Clark's Nutcracker.

The one thing I found is initial AF lock with the TC17 was a bit on the slow slide, so with regards to this thread, AF performance should be considered/taken in to account. Sharpness was fine though (even though I haven't AF fine-tuned yet).

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#36. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 35

Mon 15-Oct-12 09:36 AM

Thanks Steve!! These shots are terrific and very encouraging especially for a 500mm with a 1.7TC.I think it shows the real capability of the d800 in the hands of a pro. The 800 can do the job in the hands of those who know how and have patience. As was said when first introduced, the 800 is not a point and shoot camera. It takes knowledge of the camera and technique in its use but it can do terrific things.

Dan

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4573 posts

#37. "RE: D800 at 750mm ISO 1600 w/sample pic" | In response to Reply # 36

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Mon 15-Oct-12 11:50 AM | edited Mon 15-Oct-12 11:50 AM by richardd300

I have long applauded the 300mm f4 for exactly for the same reason as you. The added advantage is the ability to take excellent sharp images at a distance so as not to spook the critters.

Excellent pictures showing the capabilities of an often overlooked lens.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

G