Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young

Kristopher

Decatur, US
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Kristopher Registered since 07th Aug 2010
Mon 01-Oct-12 02:30 AM

Looking for a book to learn & master using the D800. I've heard Darrell Young's Book is excellent and so is Thom Hogan's book. I only want one book. Not interested in 2 at the moment. Which one would teach me how to use the D800 and When I should use each feature? Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Bulgakov

Winter Springs, US
97 posts

#1. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 0

Bulgakov Registered since 31st Oct 2006
Mon 01-Oct-12 11:16 AM | edited Mon 01-Oct-12 11:17 AM by Bulgakov

I own them both and would recommend them both. If I had to recommend one over the other, I say get Thom Hogan if you are really interested in the theory and details ans Darrell Young if you are more interested in putting it to use.

Again, both good books.

fires1

pinellas park, US
81 posts

#2. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 1

fires1 Registered since 04th Oct 2011
Mon 01-Oct-12 11:48 AM

I agree with Bulgakov. I purchased Darrell's book first. It is well written and laid out.Have your camera at your side and he will walk you through every setting, explaining differences between settings. I especially like his recommended settings, and even changed a couple to match.
I have not completed reading Thom Hogans book. But it does go into a lot of theory and background.

mike1944

US
67 posts

#3. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 2

mike1944 Registered since 23rd Sep 2008
Mon 01-Oct-12 05:40 PM

I have Young's book and recommend it. Found it to be very well written and explanatory re: features/functions. Excellent color pics of all the menus, examples, etc. Plus he has included some additional chapters going into more depth on several topics.

Mike

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4557 posts

#4. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 3

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Mon 01-Oct-12 07:11 PM | edited Mon 01-Oct-12 07:14 PM by richardd300

You may want to see my thread https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=16658&mesg_id=16658&page=2 where many comments have been made regarding Thom Hogan's D800 pdf book.

I have Darrell's D700 book and have not yet bought his D800 book. I will when it's available on Kindle. I am not so sure how much I will use it however, except to say that it is simpler then Tom's so may be a good ready reference.

Tom's book is a really valuable reference, not only about the camera controls etc, but the in depth descriptions and discussions of just about every aspect of the cameras minute details. From how to fine tune to what are the best memory cards, this is a real gem and I learned so much.

If however you want an easy reference written in plain English and a major step up from Nikon's poor manual, then buy this one. It will be well written if the D700/D7000 manuals are a measure, but the depth of Thom's book is not there in my view.

In short if you want a manual that tells you both how the camera works and how to get the very best out of it, then it's Thom's for me. Alternatively, splash out on both references

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

#5. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 0

K64drb Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2012
Mon 01-Oct-12 07:28 PM

As did the first two responders, I have both, and they are both excellent in their own way. It is well worth owning the pair together.

But if you had to go with just one for now, it looks like you are coming from a D700 with a lot of Nikon gear - so you are certainly no newcomer to the Nikon product line. Based on that, I would start with Thom's. He goes through a lot of the science and technology that is in the D800, with just a touch of historical perspective of how these things evolved in the Nikon product line that may be of interest to you. It's also 850 pages long, but only available as a PDF - he said he has no intention of printing it.

If you want a printed book, which I happen to like better than PDF's, get Darrell's book first. You won't be dissappointed.

Hope this helps.

Dave

mrpenguin

Windsor, CA
306 posts

#6. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 5

mrpenguin Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012
Mon 01-Oct-12 07:58 PM

I have Darrell Young's book. I read it with my D800 right next to me and changed settings as I went along, changed lots of stuff i didnt even know about. Love that book!

Visit Windsor wedding photographer.

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#7. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 0

ljordan316 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2010
Mon 01-Oct-12 08:40 PM

I have Thom's eBook and use it all the time. Great book! I just received David Busch's Nikon D800/D800E Guide to Digital SLR Photography and find it equally good.

Larry Jordan

D800E, D500, 14-24, 16-35, 24-70, 70-180 Micro, 80-400mm AF-S, 500mm AF-S II

http://larryjordan.smugmug.com/

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4557 posts

#8. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 7

Tue 02-Oct-12 04:54 PM

I see Darrell's D800 book is now available on Kindle at Amazon.co.uk.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

fires1

pinellas park, US
81 posts

#9. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 8

Tue 02-Oct-12 06:47 PM

What surprised me with Thom's e-book, and mind you it is my very first e-book, is the inability to bookmark pages. Is this the norm for e-books? At over 800 pages I am writing a lot of notes to reference later.

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4557 posts

#10. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 9

Tue 02-Oct-12 07:03 PM

If you download the "Goodreader" App as Thom recommends you can bookmark. If you purely download it as a PDF, then no you can't as far as I know.

Richard

fires1

pinellas park, US
81 posts

#11. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 10

Tue 02-Oct-12 07:38 PM

>If you download the "Goodreader" App as Thom
>recommends you can bookmark. If you purely download it as a
>PDF, then no you can't as far as I know.
>
>Richard
That is for an Ipad, I am reading on my computer and my wife's nook, oh well, I'll make due.

mbryan777

Bartlesville, US
19 posts

#12. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 11

mbryan777 Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Registered since 22nd Oct 2011
Wed 03-Oct-12 01:15 AM

I've not read Thom's or Darrel's books, but I can tell you that David Busch's Nikon D800/D800E Guide to Digital SLR Photography is Excellent. He did not rush to get a book out' but spent two or three extra months with the D800 before publishing. I used his book for the D300 and the D800 book is even better.

jagdpanther

Burbank, US
82 posts

#13. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 11

jagdpanther Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Aug 2008
Wed 03-Oct-12 01:31 AM

>>If you download the "Goodreader" App as Thom
>>recommends you can bookmark. If you purely download it as
>a
>>PDF, then no you can't as far as I know.
>>
>>Richard
> That is for an Ipad, I am reading on my computer and my
>wife's nook, oh well, I'll make due.

I have two recommendations for free PDF readers for your computer:

Okular which in addition to displaying your PDF file allows you to highlight, add in-line notes, search, etc. (it does not modify the original PDF file, the additions/marks are kept in another file)

Evince

I prefer Okular, but if you are using Windows you may want to try Evince first as the Windows version of Okular is not in its 'final' state. (I have not tried Okular in Windows: I use Linux for everything except CNX2, and run that in a VM)

If those don't work look at PDFreaders A list of PDF readers.

fires1

pinellas park, US
81 posts

#14. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 13

Wed 03-Oct-12 11:01 AM

>>>If you download the "Goodreader" App as
>Thom
>>>recommends you can bookmark. If you purely download
>it as
>>a
>>>PDF, then no you can't as far as I know.
>>>
>>>Richard
>> That is for an Ipad, I am reading on my computer and my
>>wife's nook, oh well, I'll make due.
>
>I have two recommendations for free PDF readers for your
>computer:
>
>Okular which in addition to
>displaying your PDF file allows you to highlight, add in-line
>notes, search, etc. (it does not modify the original PDF
>file, the additions/marks are kept in another file)
>
>Evince
>
>I prefer Okular, but if you are using Windows you may want to
>try Evince first as the Windows version of Okular is not in
>its 'final' state. (I have not tried Okular in Windows: I
>use Linux for everything except CNX2, and run that in a VM)
>
>If those don't work look at
>PDFreaders A list of PDF readers.
>
>
>Thanks I will check these out. I am presently using Foxit. The reader works fine, but in the PDF's properties, under security, one is not allowed to bookmark.

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4557 posts

#15. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 14

Wed 03-Oct-12 12:57 PM

>>>PDF, then no you can't as far as I know.>>

Yes you can, I did exactly that by buying it and downloading it to my PC, then I uploaded to itunes then put it into Goodreader on my iPad. It is a PDF document and can be downloaded to the PC. I have it now on both iPad and PC.

Richard

wfmcgrath3

Livingston, US
77 posts

#16. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 0

wfmcgrath3 Registered since 25th Feb 2012
Wed 03-Oct-12 03:11 PM

I have both Darrel's book (Kindle version) and Hogan's pdf book. I have gotten useful information from both. Thom is more technically oriented, and writes for a technically-sophisticated audience. If you are a geek like I am, you will learn a lot from Thom.

Darrel's approach is more informal and would appeal more to the average user. His preferences might appeal more to users who don't want to agonize over a lot of technical details or wade through a lot of theory. (That's NOT to say that his approach is to use the D800 as a point-and-shoot camera.)

I would really suggest you read both books. Each author's approach has merit, and you will find some nuggets in each book that won't be found in the other. Hogan writes for the pros and Darrel writes for the enthusiasts, IMO.

Creating images the new-fashioned way!

fires1

pinellas park, US
81 posts

#17. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 16

Wed 03-Oct-12 04:33 PM

>I have both Darrel's book (Kindle version) and Hogan's pdf
>book. I have gotten useful information from both. Thom is more
>technically oriented, and writes for a
>technically-sophisticated audience. If you are a geek like I
>am, you will learn a lot from Thom.
>
>Darrel's approach is more informal and would appeal more to
>the average user. His preferences might appeal more to users
>who don't want to agonize over a lot of technical details or
>wade through a lot of theory. (That's NOT to say that his
>approach is to use the D800 as a point-and-shoot camera.)
>
>I would really suggest you read both books. Each author's
>approach has merit, and you will find some nuggets in each
>book that won't be found in the other. Hogan writes for the
>pros and Darrel writes for the enthusiasts, IMO.

Very well stated. I find myself skipping over a lot in Thom's book, but will probably come back to those areas, on my second read.

fires1

pinellas park, US
81 posts

#18. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 16

Wed 03-Oct-12 04:34 PM

>I have both Darrel's book (Kindle version) and Hogan's pdf
>book. I have gotten useful information from both. Thom is more
>technically oriented, and writes for a
>technically-sophisticated audience. If you are a geek like I
>am, you will learn a lot from Thom.
>
>Darrel's approach is more informal and would appeal more to
>the average user. His preferences might appeal more to users
>who don't want to agonize over a lot of technical details or
>wade through a lot of theory. (That's NOT to say that his
>approach is to use the D800 as a point-and-shoot camera.)
>
>I would really suggest you read both books. Each author's
>approach has merit, and you will find some nuggets in each
>book that won't be found in the other. Hogan writes for the
>pros and Darrel writes for the enthusiasts, IMO.

VERY well stated !!!

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4557 posts

#19. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 16

Wed 03-Oct-12 04:37 PM | edited Wed 03-Oct-12 04:38 PM by richardd300

<<Hogan writes for the pros and Darrel writes for the enthusiasts, IMO.>>

Mmmm, think that's a bit unfair. I'm no pro, but for me as a new reader of Thom, he made my D800 come to life. That's not to say I wasn't already reasonably competent, but I just wish I had used his D7000 book and avoided a nightmare journey.

Darrell, as you say, writes in a more relaxed way and produces a very comprehensive book which is always well written.

Basically, I believe that the mass majority written by both would already be understood by most readers except a novice. It's the subtle changes of a new model that may require refinement to our shooting techniques and that's what most of us want I think from either author.

Richard

arjenkins

Southgate, London, UK
38 posts

#20. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 19

arjenkins Registered since 24th Jul 2012
Wed 03-Oct-12 05:34 PM

Hi all

As aresult of this thread I bought Thom's e-book today and first impressions are good.

But I will probably buy Darrell's book as a real book - as and when (if) I order the D800 - I enjoy old fashioned paper books.

But I also enjoy paying by cash as and when I can

Guess I am old fashioned

Yours aye
Adrian

Another London Nikonian

Visit My Nikonians gallery.
Visit My Homepage gallery.

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4557 posts

#21. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 20

Wed 03-Oct-12 05:59 PM | edited Wed 03-Oct-12 06:04 PM by richardd300

I now download all books including camera manuals rather than reading hard copy. No "green" reasons, just that the camera reference books etc. are so much cheaper in electronic form. For example, Darrell's book on Amazon UK costs £26.34 (US$40 approx) as I write, the Kindle version is £11.32 (US$17)! I find the iPad is superb for reading, although I have to admit nothing beats holding a book, but at the cost difference I'll bear that inconvenience Also, Darrell's book weighs in at over 2Kg over 4 pounds, my ipad weighs 25% less so is great when on holiday as it weighs the same with 500 books as with 1 book

Richard

arjenkins

Southgate, London, UK
38 posts

#22. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 21

Wed 03-Oct-12 06:10 PM

Hi Richard,

I actually agree with most of your post.

I have an android tablet rather than a I-pad but that is useful for storing manuals on and referring to them esp on holiday or a weekend away.

But a lot of my day is spent analysing data on a PC screen, and some times I prefer to read the old fashioned way with a cup of tea or glass of ale/wine after along day.

Photos also appear better on paper, though the situation has improved with the new tablets. The actual kindle is poor for photos IMO.

I wished that if you bought the hard copy from amazon, you got the kindle edition free or reduced.

Adrian

Yours aye
Adrian

Another London Nikonian

wfmcgrath3

Livingston, US
77 posts

#23. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 19

Wed 03-Oct-12 06:11 PM

When I wrote, "Hogan writes for the pros..." I meant only that he includes a lot of technical detail that might be of greater interest to a professional than to a photo enthusiast. I'm not a pro myself, but I am an engineer, and I like Thom's elaboration on some fairly dry technical points, things that many people would skim over unless it were necessary to their profession or of particular interest to them.

I learned much of what I know about digital photography from reading Hogan's essays, and I enjoy his somewhat irreverent writing style. The guy really knows his stuff.

avisys

Placitas, US
482 posts

#24. "The David Busch Book is HUGE!" | In response to Reply # 0

avisys Basic Member
Thu 04-Oct-12 08:08 PM | edited Thu 04-Oct-12 08:37 PM by avisys

It's 7-1/2" x 9" x 1-1/2" and weighs just a tad under four pounds.

Disadvantages: You are less likely to throw it in the car for a trip. It eats up shelf space. Heavy to handle while reading.

Advantages: The text is nice and big; easy to read, especially in bad light. The illustrations are correspondingly huge; easy to see and understand details, especially menus. (BUT, the menu images are actually too large; that size just wasn't necessary, IMO.)

OTOH, the Darrell Young book is smaller, 6x9x1, and weighs barely over 2 pounds. Easy to handle. Much more likely to go in the car.

The text is smaller, but in a nice sans serif typeface. I can easily read it with my computer glasses, and more easily with my reading glasses. The menu illustrations are much smaller than Busch, but satisfactory.

I have not spent enough time with either of these books to comment on content and clarity, but I will add that Busch seems to have a much better index.

Now, the typeface issue is interesting and, to some, very important. While the Busch book has this nice large type, and the Young book a somewhat smaller type, there can be disadvantages for the larger type, which in my case are apparent. It has to do with how we read: We don't read letter by letter or even word by word; we tend to read in phrases and clumps of words. Because of that, there may be, for any given reader, an optimum type size, typeface, and line length.

In my particular case, and maybe not yours, the Busch lines are a bit too long (although with a large gutter not that much longer than Young,) and the type too big. I'm just not as comfortable reading Busch. YMMV.

In fact, I was surprised that the Busch book is formatted the way it is. But he has many more books formatted in exactly the same way and, of course, is hugely successful. (I have a few.)

To each his own . . .

AviSys

Neilwww1

Sydney, AU
229 posts

#25. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 0

Neilwww1 Registered since 12th Mar 2012
Fri 05-Oct-12 07:25 AM

I have Darrell's book and find it really good.

Cheers
Neil

wooster

UK
120 posts

#26. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 25

wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011
Fri 05-Oct-12 08:05 AM

I have both authors' D700 books and of two I found Thom's to be the most satisfying for me. There is a lot of additional detail which you can either take or leave as you wish. At the end of each discussion he concludes with a recommendation which I find very helpful. Darrel's book is very good too though and seems to be more concise ( though I'm not sure if this is true when comparing print to PDF versions) I'm not a geek by any means but I found Thom's to be very readable and clear.

Re the iPad v book thing. I prefer a Kindle to read. I have both and find the weight of the iPad, it's glossy screen, and comparatively poor battery life ( compared to the Kindle ) make it less satisfactory for me. I know the iPad screen allows illustrations and other images to stand out much better but the above limitations along with the worry of damaging an expensive product mean it is not something I'd take out in the wild; on the beach for example.

Wooster

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4557 posts

#27. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 26

Fri 05-Oct-12 08:58 AM

<<( though I'm not sure if this is true when comparing print to PDF versions) I'm not a geek by any means but I found Thom's to be very readable and clear.>>

I agree, although Darrell's book is very concise I have found it disjointed appearance wise on the iPad Kindle app, whereas the D700 and D7000 Kindle books were fine. As an example, I get the title of a new chapter at the bottom of a page instead of on a new page. This maybe a temporary thing as it's only just been released and they may publish an update. I think I'll write to Darrell and inform him of this, won't be his fault but a kindle or ipad/publisher problem.

Thom's book shows great on the ipad.

Richard

meadowlark2

Lethbridge, CA
3988 posts

#28. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young - iPod touch" | In response to Reply # 15

meadowlark2 Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for her support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Fellow Ribbon awarded for her continuous encouragement and meaningful comments in the spirit of Nikonians. Donor Ribbon awarded for her generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2012
Fri 05-Oct-12 01:53 PM

I downloaded Thom Hogan's book onto my PCs and iPod touch. I found the app ReaddleDocs worked slick to get the book on my iPod. It is not possible to bookmark or underline as far as I understand so far but at least it is portable. I have read Darrell Young's book and have found it immensely valuable. Now to dive into Thom Hogan's.
M. Edmunds

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#29. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 4

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Fri 05-Oct-12 03:01 PM

Richard,

Mastering the Nikon D800 has been available on Kindle for a couple of weeks now: http://amzn.to/S82lqy

==============================================
Darrell Young (DigitalDarrell) www.pictureandpen.com
"Better too many words than not enough understanding."

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4557 posts

#30. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 29

Fri 05-Oct-12 04:09 PM

Not in the UK Darrell, in fact as of last Friday it wasn't available and I clicked on "ask the publisher for a Kindle version".

Have you any comment regarding my post and the text/page issue please.

Richard

arjenkins

Southgate, London, UK
38 posts

#31. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 30

Fri 05-Oct-12 04:29 PM

Richard

I am reading the kindle version on my kindle app on my samsung tablet.

What i need is a good ebook reader app which will bookmark my pages either Thom`s or Darrell`s books.

Adrian

Yours aye
Adrian

Another London Nikonian

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4557 posts

#32. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 31

Fri 05-Oct-12 04:40 PM | edited Fri 05-Oct-12 04:50 PM by richardd300

"The Goodreader" app is superb and recommended. It will work with Thom's book because it's a PDF, but don't think it will work with a Kindle book. If it does, I would prefer to read it on Goodreader or ibooks for the same reasons as you.

Cheers

Rich

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4557 posts

#33. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 32

Fri 05-Oct-12 04:53 PM

I've just tried to see if I can load a Kindle book into Goodreader and it can't be done. However, I have just downloaded the D800 Nikon Technical and user manual into Goodreader via iTunes. So at least I can search and bookmark the PDF now.

Richard

arjenkins

Southgate, London, UK
38 posts

#34. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 32

Fri 05-Oct-12 04:55 PM

Thanks for your efforts.

I looked previously for goodreader on android but so far not found in the market store.

Will look on a pc later

Adrian

Yours aye
Adrian

Another London Nikonian

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#35. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 30

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Fri 05-Oct-12 04:59 PM

Richard,

I've not seen the Kindle version yet. I will get it an see if I have the same issues on the PC Kindle reader. If so, I will request a modification.

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4557 posts

#36. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 35

Fri 05-Oct-12 05:22 PM

Thanks Darrell.

I had this problem initially with your excellent D7000 book where the pages were out of skew and there were large spaces between headings etc. E.g. The new header would appear at the base of a page, then the subject text would start on the next page. This is happening on the D800 book. Then, mysteriously it sorted it's self out but after a ipad update. I am using iPad3.

It's not a show stopper, but spoils the visual effect and I am looking forward to reading it. Of course it could be a problem with my iPad Kindle App Perhaps the layout's meant to be like that of course.

Richard

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#37. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 27

Fri 05-Oct-12 05:32 PM

Richard,

I just purchased the Kindle version and have viewed it on Kindle viewer for PC on my Acer Iconia Tab W500 Windows 7 tablet. The chapter titles look fine, with the chapter opening images just below them. Will you check the book on your Kindle viewer for PC on your computer, Richard? Thanks!

I also viewed it on my genuine Kindle 3 (Keyboard, eInk version) and the chapter titles show on the top of a blank page followed with a new page showing the chapter opening image (much smaller screen size).

Can any one else with a Kindle version comment on this, please? If the iOS version is not right, it needs to be fixed. I do not use an iPad. Thanks!

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4557 posts

#38. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 37

Fri 05-Oct-12 05:38 PM

I will download the Kindle app for PC, then try and understand how I can see the book on a PC when I have it on a iPad?

Richard

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4557 posts

#39. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 38

Fri 05-Oct-12 06:03 PM

OK, got that and downloaded the kindle D800 book. 1st Example is the "Copyright Page" starting Darrell Young (aka Digital Darrell) on the ipad it ends with TR263.N5Y6854 2012. On the PC it ends with 2012025947.

That is not an extreme example, but take this one. "Camera Setup and Control Reference" on the ipad below the title is the picture of your son, however the image title "You are funny Dad" appears on the next page.

Location 700 on the PC "Which Memory Card or folder" identifies the text then below are the 3 picturs, then the text Fig. 2.0A is presented with the explanation text below. On the ipad the 3 pictures appear at the bottom of loc. 693 and then you have to turn the page to see what they are, so one has to keep going back and fro. There are lots of examples of this.

Perhaps Kindle cannot present it any other way, but it certainly doesn't look right. Ok on the PC app however.

Richard

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4557 posts

#40. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 31

Fri 05-Oct-12 06:27 PM

Adrian

One learns something every day! Darrell asked me to view his book on Kindle app for PC. I didn't even know there was a Kindle app for PC! It's really good, gives you Amazon access to all your Kindle books and allows you to bookmark pages and go to any page via the app. Maybe useful for you.

Wonderful and all thanks to Darrell.

Richard

wfmcgrath3

Livingston, US
77 posts

#41. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 37

Fri 05-Oct-12 07:32 PM

I read your book cover to cover on a Kindle Fire and had no problems at all.

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#42. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 41

Gator Bob Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2006
Tue 09-Oct-12 02:51 PM | edited Tue 09-Oct-12 04:13 PM by Gator Bob

Thom Hogan's D800 book is simply superb. Every bit of needed information is quickly and easily retrievable, understandable and digestible. Hogan's book is unmatched both as a quick information source and also as an in-depth information resource.

Darrell Young's D800 book could be a useful resource for those looking for less information. I depended on key parts of his D700 book when I moved up from a D300. One concern: in my brief examination I found the Kindle version sloppily designed and cumbersome to retrieve anything.

FWIW: I was a newspaper writer & editor and later in charge of IBM's internal publications.

Gator Bob Santa Fe New Mexico
*D800E *D700 *SB800 *RRS TVC-24L
Nikkors: *14-24 *70-200 VRII *T-20E III *50 f/1.8 *PC-E 85 *28-300
Tamron: * 90mm Macro *

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4557 posts

#43. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 42

Tue 09-Oct-12 03:54 PM | edited Tue 09-Oct-12 03:56 PM by richardd300

<<One concern: in my brief examination I found the Kindle version sloppily designed and cumbersome to retrieve anything.) >>

I agree and have raised this with Darrell. My Kindle version via the iPad Kindle app is disjointed and I too find this most annoying. It is a shame, because like you I have both and Darrell's books. I am not sure if I would buy Darrell's book in paperback as I find the D7000 manual in paperback a too heavy. I shall refer to Darrell's book often I'm sure, but Thom's book more than satisfies all of my needs.

Richard

Rharbison

US
33 posts

#44. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 0

Rharbison Registered since 24th Apr 2008
Tue 09-Oct-12 04:54 PM

>Looking for a book to learn & master using the D800. I've
>heard Darrell Young's Book is excellent and so is Thom Hogan's
>book. I only want one book. Not interested in 2 at the moment.
>Which one would teach me how to use the D800 and When I should
>use each feature? Thanks!

Said in a kindly manner. You just spent $3K on the D800. Now you're hesitant to spend an extra $25 or so to get both books rather than just one?

They're both excellent and you can learn something from both. The most important tool you can have is knowledge of your camera and how to use it. The few extra bucks would be an excellent investment.

arjenkins

Southgate, London, UK
38 posts

#45. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 0

Tue 09-Oct-12 04:58 PM

By the kindle version of Dare ell's and Thom's ebbok. Get both for the cost of Darrell's paper copy?

Yours aye
Adrian

Another London Nikonian

rbeeson

Clearwater, US
253 posts

#46. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 37

rbeeson Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2009
Thu 11-Jul-13 07:30 PM

Hey Darrell,

Your D800 Book is great!!! One item is not covered in your book and not

been able to find on the web? When shooting with a manual lens (Zeiss or Nikon P)

is it necessary to change the focus mode selector switch to manual when shooting?

Thanks,

Bob

Indecline1

US
18 posts

#47. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 12

Indecline1 Registered since 21st Feb 2013
Fri 12-Jul-13 02:53 AM

>I've not read Thom's or Darrel's books, but I can tell you
>that David Busch's Nikon D800/D800E Guide to Digital SLR
>Photography is Excellent. He did not rush to get a book out'
>but spent two or three extra months with the D800 before
>publishing. I used his book for the D300 and the D800 book is
>even better.
>
I have his D3s and D800/D800e books and have found both to very clear in the explanations of each camera's features and how to make the best use of those features. I have not seen the other books, so I can't comment.

DS

jaymc

Port Orchard, US
80 posts

#48. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 32

jaymc Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Sep 2006
Fri 19-Jul-13 02:31 PM

Thom's book does work with the Kindle, but had no search feature (none that I could find anyway), works fine with ebooks.

jaymc

Port Orchard, US
80 posts

#49. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 40

Fri 19-Jul-13 02:36 PM

Able to read on the Kindle app for the rMBP, but unfortunately the app doesn't take advantage of the retina display, so I read it on my iPad.

ShaoLynx

Tienen, BE
29 posts

#50. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 31

ShaoLynx Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Aug 2010
Sun 21-Jul-13 05:24 AM

Try Good Reader. i use it on iPad.

jaymc

Port Orchard, US
80 posts

#51. "RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell Young" | In response to Reply # 45

Sun 21-Jul-13 03:39 PM | edited Sun 21-Jul-13 03:42 PM by jaymc

Does the kindle version of Darrell's offer the 50% off for Gold Membership? If not, then the paper version is better imo.
I got Thom's book downloaded into Dropbox, which can then be sent to a reader of my choice.

Overall, Thom's e-book (862 pages) is more technical - ex. explains the aperture clicking noise in LV and Darrell's book (559 pages) offers additional insight, just not as technical.

Also, Thom's e-book is in A4 format, so some readers can show the whole page, and some can't without swiping down.

G