Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Wed 28-Mar-12 01:12 PM

How do you set this up?
I cannot find anything about it in the manual or menues.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nwcs

Knoxville, US
7030 posts

#1. "RE: D800 Face Recognition" | In response to Reply # 0

nwcs Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Registered since 15th Jan 2006
Wed 28-Mar-12 12:07 PM

Not having a D800 or D4 I'm speaking on speculation. I believe the facial recognition is part of the exposure programming. Meaning you won't see something show up in the viewfinder or menus. It just simply works when it comes to calculating proper exposure in matrix metering mode.

I'm ready to be totally corrected by people who actually know something.

piowoc

St. Louis, US
181 posts

#2. "RE: D800 Face Recognition" | In response to Reply # 1

piowoc Registered since 06th Aug 2007
Wed 28-Mar-12 12:19 PM

Hi,

it's on page #94 in D800 manual.
my understanding is that you have to use Auto-area AF for the camera to be able to detect faces. It probably doesn't matter is you set it up to AF-C or AF-S.

Thanks!

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#3. "RE: D800 Face Recognition" | In response to Reply # 2

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Wed 28-Mar-12 12:58 PM

I was puzzled by this. There are different focus settings, face recognition, landscape, etc., but you can only find them in "Live View." I don't know why that is. It doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

rdls

Tewkesbury, UK
35 posts

#4. "RE: D800 Face Recognition" | In response to Reply # 3

rdls Registered since 25th Sep 2004
Wed 28-Mar-12 01:35 PM

Hi Larry,

My assumption is that with the mirror up (i.e. live view) the camera is using the image sensor for focus and for metering. The 91K sensor and the multi-cam 3500FX are both blind.

So in terns of focus, exposure and facial recognition, it's like two completely different cameras.

Just my opinion, I might be way off the mark.

Rich

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

#5. "RE: D800 Face Recognition" | In response to Reply # 0

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Wed 28-Mar-12 03:04 PM

In the auto-area (as i read the manual) this is automatic and cannot be turned off or on, so if it is picking the focus point (not tracking, but full auto) it gives preferenace to faces, and in particular the closest face. It also then is supposed to give preference to meter on the face. Or so that is what I understand.

Live view face mode appears to be a separate setting entirely.

This I found confusing, that it would be optional in live view and not in ... well, whatever non-live view is, but that is certainly how it reads.

Now all that said, I just took mine out into my office and experimented, and about 60% of the time it focused on cubicles, filing cabinets, etc. and ignored the faces in the room. So I'm not at all sure I have it set right.

That's not how I normally work, I have never used my D300 (out of experimentation mode) in auto-area mode. So I may have my expectations set poorly also.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#6. "RE: D800 Face Recognition" | In response to Reply # 5

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Wed 28-Mar-12 08:28 PM

I read and printed page 94.

I now have AFF and AutoArea with face priority.
I need to test this with the D800 as the faster processor, AF, and metering may make a difference.
With other cameras this was disastrous,
with the focus points jumping around too much. (Searching?)

I mostly want to use this in Movie Mode.
So, can I change these settings in LV Photo and differently in LV Movie?

davidhunternyc

New York, US
22 posts

#7. " D800 Face Recognition" | In response to Reply # 6

davidhunternyc Registered since 15th Apr 2012
Sun 15-Apr-12 10:29 PM | edited Sun 15-Apr-12 10:33 PM by davidhunternyc

Hello Everyone!
This is my very first post on the Nikon forums. I am so excited to be here and to have my very first Nikon camera in my hands. My way to Nikon was roundabout. I am a minimalist and so the only digital cameras I have ever owned were the Leica X1 (which I sold for...) and the Fuji X100 (which I currently own). Recently, I was hired to photograph an indoor wedding. As much as I love my X100 it is woefully inadequate for this, low, ambient lighted wedding event. The X100 uses contrast detection auto-focus and too many of my test photos were out of focus. So here I am, convinced by others, to rent a Nikon D800. This is like going from a Honda Civic to a Ferrari (which weighs as much as a Sherman tank). I had a lesson today with the D800 and my tutor and I can not figure out a way to activate face recognition in the viewfinder. Yes, like others here, we have activated face recognition in the live-view LCD viewfinder but it does not automatically transfer to the electronic viewfinder. Please help. If I get corrupted by this camera, I may become a Nikon fanboy. So far, the jury is out. A part of me is outrageously impressed with this camera (and, doh!, the 900 speedlight) but then another part of me is contemptuous that you need the space shuttle to take brilliant photographs. Time will tell.
David

G