Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
parallaxphotos

US
43 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
parallaxphotos Registered since 07th May 2012
Tue 23-Oct-12 11:51 PM

I've searched this category, I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on RRS vs. Kirk brackets for the D800? L vs bottom only?

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#1. "RE: A/S clamps?" | In response to Reply # 0

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Tue 23-Oct-12 10:13 PM

An L-Bracket is far more useful, unless you always shoot in landscape mode.

I don't think there is much difference between RRS and Kirk. I've always used Kirks but that's mostly habit and that I formerly lived near them.

Of course, you can buy Kirk products through the Nikonians Shop.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

duh59

Rochester, US
591 posts

#2. "RE: A/S clamps?" | In response to Reply # 0

duh59 Silver Member Charter Member
Wed 24-Oct-12 01:26 AM

hi, it was a "flip of the coin" between the RSS and Kirk. I picked Kirk for my F6, liked it and picked the Kirk for my D300 and D800. Very good quality, as I am sure the RSS is also.
I picked the regular plate, because it can be left on the camera without much notice and most of my pictures are in landscape mode. Good luck on your decision.

Virge

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jwalser

Seattle, US
90 posts

#3. "RE: A/S clamps?" | In response to Reply # 0

jwalser Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Jul 2006
Wed 24-Oct-12 04:14 AM

I have the Kirk L plates on my D200, D700 and now D800E. I find it real convenient for switching between landscape and portrait mode and have no issues with the plate extending along the side of the camera. Buying the L plate also avoids the regrets later of spending money on the bottom plate and then wishing you had spent a little more for the L plate.

blw

Richmond, US
28713 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#4. "RE: A/S clamps?" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Wed 24-Oct-12 05:14 AM

I always go for the L-bracket. The first time you are shooting on a tripod and can't figure out whether to shoot portrait or landscape, it'll be worth the money.

I always use Kirk L-brackets. Why? My favorite brick and mortar store sells Kirk, I got one many years ago, and I've always liked them. They've given me no reason to even try anything else, so I haven't.

Frankly my experience with RRS has been that they're excellent too, and my guess is that if they had sold RRS instead I'd probably have the same story with the names changed.

At this point I have Kirk L-brackets for five of my cameras, as well as Kirk lens plates for five lenses.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Luke_Miller

Rural Virginia, US
1768 posts

#5. "RE: A/S clamps?" | In response to Reply # 0

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006
Wed 24-Oct-12 11:05 AM

I owned both Kirk and RRS L-plates. IMO they are equally good. Sometimes one will have a plate for a model or configuration the other doesn't. If I was forced to rank them I would say the RRS versions are SLIGHTLY more nicely finished. I prefer the L-plates for versatility and the extra protection they provide the body. I do not care for L-plates that mount to the optional vertical grip on bodies that lack one. There is always a tiny bit of movement between the grip and body and the L-plate makes it even more noticeable. But YMMV.

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

Noel Holland

UK
2177 posts

#6. "RE: A/S clamps?" | In response to Reply # 0

Noel Holland Platinum Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Charter Member
Wed 24-Oct-12 02:36 PM

Kirk brackets are easier for me to get in UK as RRS only deal direct. I've tried both however all my brackets and lens feet are from RRS despite the hassle.

There isn't a lot of difference really. The RRS items just feel slightly and only very slighty better. One thing that does mark the RRS apart from Kirk is the centre line markers. On Kirk products the centre of each axis is marked by a notch on the bracket body, on RRS it's normally an etched marking. It's a miniscule little detail but I just prefer the RRS etched marking to the Kirk notch. But to be brutally honest, it's very difficult to choose between them and they both do an admirable job.

MEMcD

US
31629 posts

#7. "RE: A/S clamps?" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sat 27-Oct-12 03:39 AM

Hi Mike,

If you shoot in portrait orientation at all, I would recommend getting an L-Bracket. Once you try one you will not buy another camera plate. I have L-Brackets on 7 of my 8 DSLR's and two of my film bodies. I also have a Kirk Universal L-Bracket that I use with the remaining bodies that just have camera plates.

As for brands, I have both RRS and Kirk L-Brackets, Plates, and Lens feet. They both make excellent quality products. You can't go wrong with either one.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

mikeguil

ELMVALE, CA
453 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#8. "RE: A/S clamps?" | In response to Reply # 0

mikeguil Registered since 18th Dec 2005
Sun 28-Oct-12 12:34 PM

As soon as I ordered my D800e, I ordered the L-plate from RRS. In fact, I received the plate well before the camera came in (great service from RRS). I have the RRS L-plate on all my cameras. And since I have the RSS BH-55 ballhead on my Gitzo as well, it was a no-brainer. My only real decision was to get the L-plate for either the camera alone or with the Grip. I decided not to get the grip (I have it on my D700) so went for the camera only version.

Mike Guilbault
Elmvale, Ontario, Canada
http://www.PhotographyWorkshops.ca
http://www.MGPhotography.com

hujiie

US
597 posts

#9. "RE: A/S clamps?" | In response to Reply # 0

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009
Sun 28-Oct-12 01:07 PM

As with all said, L-brackets are necessity for me. I had ones from Kirk on 2x D700's and now for D800E's. When I had Kirk L-braclets on D700's, I had difficulties opening and closing the side rubber flip door (where you access to USB port etc), But ones on D800E's, I do not have any problems.

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

G