Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Real time display of exposure time

laurentjl

AU
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
laurentjl Registered since 25th Sep 2012
Tue 25-Sep-12 09:01 AM

Hi - I've got a question in regards the camera ability to display the photo exposure time in real time;
Looking at the manual, I can not find a way of showing the photo exposure time in real time either at the top or on the main display. I find this feature essential when I'm shooting with exposure longer than few seconds.

For example, Canon shooters can see the photo exposure time (in seconds - max 3 digits) in real time on their top display. Also they have a red light at the back showing that there is a photo being shoot.

Is it possible to have that info on the D800?
Cheers

Note: Love my D800 BTW

Kidkett

Campo, US
442 posts

#1. "RE: Real time display of exposure time" | In response to Reply # 0

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010
Tue 25-Sep-12 11:48 PM

Hi, I am not sure what you are looking for here. I am sure you know that the shutter speed is in the viewfinder and on the top panel. You can also press the information button on the back lower right of the screen and it will show it on the back screen. What do you mean in real time? Nikon has a green light lit when a shot is being taken on the back of the camera. I guess I need more about what you are doing.

Good luck,
Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

laurentjl

AU
2 posts

#2. "RE: Real time display of exposure time" | In response to Reply # 1

laurentjl Registered since 25th Sep 2012
Wed 26-Sep-12 01:24 AM

Bill,
Thank you in taking interest in my question.
I guess I should have ask if it is possible to see the exposure time running from the Top panel or the back screen, when you put the camera in "Bulb" mode.

Also, is there a way to active the green light that you mentioned through the menu? So far I dont have such light when I take a long exposure shoot.

Much appreciated

Kidkett

Campo, US
442 posts

#3. "RE: Real time display of exposure time" | In response to Reply # 2

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010
Wed 26-Sep-12 04:14 AM

Ok, I see what you’re talking about now. No I don’t believe it does.

But I have a cable release does have a red light come on when you click the shutter and the second start clicking off on the digital counter that does just what you want. You might want to check into one of these and see if it helps you out. I have a cheap YJC cable release that I use a lot and hasn’t failed me yet. I am sure others work in the same way and does all that you want it to, just not on the camera. You can even set it for how long you want the shutter open and much more. This is not the same one I have but works and looks the same:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timer-Remote-Shutter-Release-MC-36-for-Nikon-D800-D100-D200-D3-D2-D1-Series-/251150845069?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item3a79c1c48d

Take a look and see if it will help you out.

Good Luck,
Bill

dhmiller

US
899 posts

#4. "RE: Real time display of exposure time" | In response to Reply # 3

dhmiller Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 19th May 2009
Wed 26-Sep-12 02:39 PM

You need an intervalometer - a remote trigger that lets you set a shutter time then count down. Very common and not expensive.
DM

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7114 posts

#5. "RE: Real time display of exposure time" | In response to Reply # 4

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Thu 27-Sep-12 12:20 AM

Or you can go expensive with the Nikon MC-36.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

G