Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Thu 04-Oct-12 11:54 PM | edited Fri 05-Oct-12 02:40 AM by mklass

I guess it's just the nature of high resolution, but now that I've had time to work on most of my early D800e shots, I notice that almost any dust or smudge on a lens with show up in the image. A LensPen or Rocket blower, frequently used, seems to be a required companion. At first I thought the sensor was dirty, but it is a clean as can be.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10524 posts

#1. "RE: Dust more prevelant" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Fri 05-Oct-12 12:27 AM

I'm not sure that I am seeing that much more dust, but I do have about more awareness and am making more of an effort to keep everything clean.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

bkinthebay

bkinthebay, BE
409 posts

#2. "RE: Dust more prevelant" | In response to Reply # 0

bkinthebay Registered since 27th Feb 2010
Fri 05-Oct-12 02:12 PM | edited Fri 05-Oct-12 03:23 PM by bkinthebay

Could you post an example? I always thought dust on the lens would be so much out of focus that it does not show up on pictures.

FineArtSnaps

Leesburg, US
401 posts

#3. "RE: Dust more prevelant" | In response to Reply # 2

FineArtSnaps Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2012
Fri 05-Oct-12 03:22 PM

I'm with Bernard, Mick. Are you sure the dust isn't on your sensor? Dust on a lens might give you a lens flare, but it couldn't show up on your picture as discrete dust.

Russ Lewis
www.russ-lewis.com
www.FineArtSnaps.com

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#4. "RE: Dust more prevelant" | In response to Reply # 3

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Fri 05-Oct-12 04:21 PM

>I'm with Bernard, Mick. Are you sure the dust isn't on your
>sensor? Dust on a lens might give you a lens flare, but it
>couldn't show up on your picture as discrete dust.

Definitely not on the sensor. It is not just a spec and moves or disappears with a change of lenses. I examined the sensor with a loupe and it is clean. I suspect a dust spot on a lens is going to be much larger on a D800 image than a D3s or D700.

Same issue with a smudge on a lens.

I'll post some examples when I get home tonight.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

G