Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Focus test results for just purchased D800E

venusian

US
186 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
venusian Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Sat 29-Sep-12 12:54 PM | edited Sat 29-Sep-12 05:30 PM by venusian

I received my D800E yesterday and did some testing for the asymmetric focus issue.

The camera was purchased from Samy's Camera on 09.22.12 just when a new shipment arrived. The serial number is 3006XXX. The firmware is A = 1.00, B = 1.01, and C = 1.006.

I did three tests. Lens used was the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 set at 24mm and f 2.8. The camera, mounted on a tripod, was approximately 1 meter from 3 targets (center, right, left) taped to a flat wall. Photos taken were between 1/30 to 1/60 sec. Shutter release cable/mirror lock up was used for all tests. ISO was 100.

The test targets were high resolution prints (300dpi) on good quality A4 paper of two different versions of the Siemens Star Chart. For more real life tests, I placed 15 hardcover books on a table with the title sides facing the lens and made sure that all the sides were aligned in a straight line with one another.

Phase detect autofocus was compared to live view autofocus for the 2 different star test targets; for the book test, just phase detect autofocus. Three or five focus points were evaluated; most of the time the center, extreme right, and extreme left points were chosen. All photos were taken in "P" mode.

Results of the two Siemens Starr Charts were almost identical: live view autofocus was just a tad sharper than phase detect autofocus. No focus issues were observed for the focus points tested.

Photos of the books showed excellent sharpness and detail in phase detect autofocus mode when using the center, right, or left focus points.

I will repeat the test using a Nikon 85mm f/1.8G lens. However, I do not anticipate additional problems.

Conclusion: this camera is a keeper.

At some point, I will likely try FoCal to confirm these results before the 1-year warrantee runs out and to fine tune my camera/lenses.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just trying to help others who have ordered D800/E cameras recently.

Nick (Roxbury, Connecticut Nikonian)

dennishhh

Boston, US
13 posts

#1. "RE: Focus test results for just purchased D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

dennishhh Registered since 22nd Sep 2012
Sat 29-Sep-12 05:11 PM

Very happy to hear your results it is such a great camera. I was incredibly impressed by the wrong resolution and the build up the camera. The menus and controls are very well done and simple enough to understand and use. Unfortunately my long-awaited D800e that came in yesterday has the dreaded left focus problem. Tested twice well doing tethered capture, the problem was extremely obvious. It's going back on Monday.

venusian

US
186 posts

#2. "RE: Focus test results for just purchased D800E" | In response to Reply # 1

Sat 29-Sep-12 05:18 PM

Just out of curiosity, what was the serial number of the camera that is going back?

dennishhh

Boston, US
13 posts

#3. "RE: Focus test results for just purchased D800E" | In response to Reply # 2

dennishhh Registered since 22nd Sep 2012
Sat 29-Sep-12 06:21 PM

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#4. "RE: Focus test results for just purchased D800E" | In response to Reply # 3

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sat 29-Sep-12 06:39 PM | edited Sat 29-Sep-12 06:45 PM by richardd300

Nice one Nick, welcome to the D800E.

I see you say that you have a one year warranty, is this normal in the US? In the UK we can register free for an extra 1 years warranty, so 2 years in total.

Have fun,

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

venusian

US
186 posts

#5. "RE: Focus test results for just purchased D800E" | In response to Reply # 4

Sun 30-Sep-12 10:36 AM

Hi Richard,

As I understand it, the warranty is for 1 year in the U.S. Next time I buy a Nikon camera I'll move to the UK before purchase!

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#6. "RE: Focus test results for just purchased D800E" | In response to Reply # 5

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sun 30-Sep-12 11:16 AM

It's not worth the effort Nick, rain, rain, more rain and gloom. Not helped in that you lot are slaughtering us at the Ryder Cup Golf

I've even resorted to taking D800 test images at high ISO's of a squirrel in the garden!

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#7. "RE: Focus test results for just purchased D800E" | In response to Reply # 5

Gator Bob Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2006
Sun 30-Sep-12 11:06 PM

american express doubles the factory warranty to 2 years. amex pid $1600 to repair my first dgitl dslr, an olympus E-10 after it failed in its 24h month.

Gator Bob Santa Fe New Mexico
D700 & SB800 * D800E October 2nd
Nikkors: *14-24 * 28-300 * PC-E 85mm *50mm 1.8
Tamron 90mm Macro

G