Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?

Sujoy61

Calcutta, IN
144 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Sujoy61 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jan 2006
Thu 17-May-12 12:28 PM

What would be the possible reasons to upgrade from a D700 to a D800 other than 36 mp vs 12 mp?

www.sujoydas.com
Photographs from the Himalaya
www.sujoyrdas.blogspot.com
My Blog
www.facebook.com/sujoyrdas
Facebook

DAJolley

US
1300 posts

#1. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Thu 17-May-12 10:42 AM

I've owned both and in my opinion, can't see much difference between the images they produce. The D800 should give you more ability to make big enlargements and aggressive cropping. There are some feature enhancements on the D800 I like such as the 100% viewfinder, better live view, two card slots and video (if video is important to you).
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10538 posts

#2. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 17-May-12 10:58 AM

The D700 is an excellent camera. It was one of the top cameras on the market until the release of the D4/D800 so nothing has really changed.

The D800 offers a major increase in the file size - and related detail and resolution. It represents the best 3-4 years of technical development can deliver. It offers a lot of small improvements to the image - dynamic range, color, etc. The new processor of the D800, and the new AF system are incremental improvements. The delivery of video is a big enhancement in terms of the long term direction.

I don't know that there is a compelling reason to upgrade - just a lot of small factors. Think of it as moving from a camera rated 91 on a scale of 100 to a 95 on the same scale. On the other hand, if you were faced with the two cameras there is little reason other than cost to pick the D700 over a D800. At some point you will upgrade. Is your plan to get a D800 later, a D400, a D600, or something else? There is no reason to rush - just understand what would trigger an upgrade.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

mrpenguin

Windsor, CA
306 posts

#3. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 2

mrpenguin Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012
Thu 17-May-12 12:01 PM

For me the biggest reason why I bought the D800 was because No1 the Two card slots, as an event photographer it is one of the most important things in a camera, you cant redo a wedding if something goes wrong with a memory card and No2 it is newer technology

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit Windsor wedding photographer.

DrGoon

US
36 posts

#4. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 2

DrGoon Registered since 11th Mar 2009
Thu 17-May-12 01:11 PM

>On the other hand, if you were faced with the two cameras
>there is little reason other than cost to pick the D700 over a
>D800. At some point you will upgrade.

That was what drew me to the D800. Moving from DX format, I had a choice of two cameras. Both were excellent, both did what I wanted. One had been around for several years and the market and used prices had just seen their first significant drop, the other was brand new and somewhat more expensive. I went with the D800 largely because when I move to the next thing in a few years it will likely have devalued less than a D700 bought new today. I didn't really need the resolution, the greater dynamic range or the improved autofocus speed and sensitivity. I'm glad to have them and I think they are worth the price difference.

I also have some need for video, and had I bought a D700, I likely would have sold my D90 and acquired a D7000. Now I will probably sell my D90, a couple of DX lenses and put the money towards a nice new AF-S FX lens.

D700 used prices continue to be strong because it is still a great camera. I think that is also reflection of the supply shortages of new FX cameras from Nikon. If you were thinking of selling a D700 to get a D800, I think that now would be the time to do it. When the D800 supply starts to meet demand or when Nikon introduce a less expensive FX camera built in another production facility (Thailand probably) then I would expect D700 used prices to weaken. That said, if you don't need the new features any time soon, the D700 is a truly great camera that may serve you well up to the D900 or whatever is next.

The other caveat is that if I were going from a D700 to a D800, I know I would miss the extra frame rate that the D700 offers. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that I'd look for a gently used D700 as a second body once the prices do fall.

Don't visit my Nikonians gallery yet. It's empty.

skibud1

US
20 posts

#5. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

skibud1 Registered since 01st Apr 2012
Thu 17-May-12 11:36 PM

Well, I had a D700 and a D300. I sold both to buy a D800. The D700 was fantastic - the only issue I had was from time to time, not having quite enough length with a lens. The D300 gave me that, with the crop factor, but really, it's technology was beginning to get old ( high ISO noise being my biggest complaint). My hope is that the D800 will do both (but since I'm on the Adorama waiting list since March 1st I have not tested the theory), but I don't expect to de disappointed. I expect the D800 to be equal in high ISO capability, and yet able to give me more length due to it's extra pixels and cropping. I really don't have need for the high frame rate, so I was willing to compromise there.

I still need to decide what will make a good second body (something less expensive, willing to use in less perfect weather conditions, maybe something with a higher frame rate ) ?

Mike in FL

Jacksonville, US
580 posts

#6. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

Mike in FL Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2008
Fri 18-May-12 12:10 AM

>What would be the possible reasons to upgrade from a D700 to
>a D800 other than 36 mp vs 12 mp?

As the other posters have said, the 100% accurate viewfinder, backup card, and some other minor improvements are incentives. Having said that, I have both cameras, and wish that I hadn't spent the money. I may end up selling it at some point, but right now I'm trying to make it work for me before I go there.

Your D700 is a great camera, really.

Mike

Sujoy61

Calcutta, IN
144 posts

#7. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 6

Fri 18-May-12 03:09 AM

Thanks everyone - I was also inclined to remain with the D700 as I dont shoot video and would not be making extraordinary large prints!

www.sujoydas.com
My Blog
Facebook

mel_klim

Los Angeles, US
919 posts

#8. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 7

mel_klim Silver Member Charter Member
Fri 18-May-12 08:06 AM

Have you considered the D4 as a replacement for the D700? The price would probably be the hurdle one would need to overcome.

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#9. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 7

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Fri 18-May-12 12:04 PM | edited Fri 18-May-12 12:06 PM by ajdooley

Sujoy -- Unless money is simply no object, I don't see a compelling reason. When I shot my first images with my first D700, I posted my initial comment here: I simply said, "WOW!" I subsequently added a second D700, both for being able to shoot sports with two lense at once and for a back-up so I don't go down completely during any maintenance. Once the D800 was announced, I was relieved to learn that Nikon didn't have a way to remotely disable my D700 and make me buy the new model! It still makes me go "WOW!" so many times every month.

We continue to read debates about the relative merits in high ISO situations and disturbing notes about focus and other issues. When the D700 appeared, I stayed with my proven D200 for a year and then moved to the D700.

If you neither have to have video nor the huge file capability of the D800, I think the D700 remains amazing. It was absolutely a revolutionary upgrade to the capability of the D200. I see the D800 not as that kind of shift, but rather as a camera with different -- but not necessarily better -- capabilities. Sure -- 36 vs 12 mp resolution -- if you feel you need that. Video -- again, if you feel the need. And for the $ I can swap cards and spend the little extra on very reliable quality brand versions.

Am I a luddite who will always shun the D800? No. In fact, if money was no object I would have ordered one the day they went on the market. But it is a considerato. The pair of D700s I own remain superbly capable and exceed my own personal abilities in too many cases, and I am instead focusing my attention on adding a 14-24mm lens to my gear. Next changes will be to replace the 24-70mm f2.8 and 80-400mm if and when they are upgraded to VRII and newer optical engineering.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#10. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 18-May-12 04:48 PM

I would suggest renting a D800 and see if the IQ enhancements like much better low ISO DR and flexibility of RAW files means anything to you.
What your output media is will determine whether you see the difference....or just zoom in or crop radically and become a believer.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Sujoy61

Calcutta, IN
144 posts

#11. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 10

Sat 19-May-12 03:08 AM

Thanks Alan and Stan - great advice!

www.sujoydas.com
My Blog
Facebook

SRoss43

US
51 posts

#12. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 11

SRoss43 Registered since 10th Apr 2012
Tue 22-May-12 02:29 AM

I went from a D300 to D800. I have had it for a month. A lot of the "wow" is going to FX. A lot of the disappointment is losing the DX reach and DOF flexibility - and missing some shots because the speed was too low.

I would not have gone with a D700 as I was waiting for the next generation. I am still learning - especially the autofocus options. It does take a lot to get used to.

As someone mentioned in another post you do not absolutely need perfect lenses. My 50 1.8 works great. So do some of my DX lenses, like the 10-20 sigma (which I use for Macro).
One thing to consider is that you really do not need 36mp for most photos - medium jpeg can give you most of your "family" shots. I use the 36mp for macros of bugs, etc.

tamrokin

Fremantle, AU
359 posts

#13. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 12

tamrokin Registered since 09th Feb 2006
Wed 06-Jun-12 05:05 AM

Hi there,

Just a view that might assist.

My recent journey has been D700 with back-up D3s (replacing a D300) and now await the D800. Backup D3s is not quite right - it is my preferred body for many reasons. Particularly high fps for sports - wins hands down (even vs. the D700 with MB-D10), plus video. The D700 is the camera I am more prepared to get dirty, lug in back packs etc. as it has a high image count and I feel happy that it has delivered great value over time. I regard it as more of a work horse as it delivers sufficient IQ in most instances.

All I am really looking for in the D800 is higher resolution and the ability to crop more aggressively as I so often find images within images. Great to be able to have them at higher res. eg. detail within action sports shots.

The DX vs. FX argument was a fizzer for me - I just use a different lens for the task at hand than I might have with the DX. A 1.4 TX usually has the same effect. Happy to accept the noticeable image IQ upgrade going FX.

Most of this is just techno mumbo jumbo - the defining difference is whether the final output (print, screen image, projector image) is better in the eyes of the end user/customer for the effort and expense. Often the incremental differences we debate are not that significant in the end result. More about justification of a NAS addiction !

Rob

Black camera, Black lenses, Black bag ...... & NAS Black hole .....

Thrillington

Lorton, US
66 posts

#14. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 12

Thrillington Registered since 05th May 2008
Wed 06-Jun-12 08:56 AM

>I went from a D300 to D800. I have had it for a month. A
>lot of the "wow" is going to FX. A lot of the
>disappointment is losing the DX reach and DOF flexibility -
>and missing some shots because the speed was too low.

But you have not lost your "DX reach" by going from a D300 to the D800. Just change your image area setting to DX when you need it and shoot. You'll get a much larger file capture than you did on your D300, along with all the new tech in the camera. IMHO that's one of the benefits of the D800 over the D700 with its meager 5mp DX capture.

David

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2673 posts

#15. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Wed 06-Jun-12 09:22 AM

When the D300 was introduced, I did not feel the need to upgrade from my D200, since I considered the improvements of the D300 as purely incremental, but not "game changing". Now I feel quite the same when considering a change from my D700 to a D800/D800e, and I politely decline to join the crowd. I might reconsider, if Nikon decides to deliver the specs of the D4 at the price of a D800, as they did in the case of the D3/D700.

Tristan

mikeguil

ELMVALE, CA
453 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#16. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 15

mikeguil Registered since 18th Dec 2005
Wed 06-Jun-12 10:04 AM

I upgraded to the D300 from D200 as soon as it came out. I found the upgrade considerable and did not like the D200. After I had the D300 for a month, I sold my 2nd D200 and bought another D300. Now I have a D700 and D300 and have just ordered the D800e. It's a significant enough upgrade again and I'll be selling my D300 now. I believe the D700 will still be my main 'go-to' camera for most of my work as I don't need 36mp - however, the D800e will be indispensable for certain work.

Mike Guilbault
Elmvale, Ontario, Canada
http://www.PhotographyWorkshops.ca
http://www.MGPhotography.com

leithsw

US
23 posts

#17. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

leithsw Registered since 09th May 2012
Wed 06-Jun-12 11:31 AM

I didn't really upgrade, I just added another camera to the arsenal. I've been shooting a D2Xs/D200, F5/F100, Pentax 6x7/Fuji 6x17. I was looking at moving up to one of the 50Mp medium format cameras when the D800 was announced. I thought I'd give it a try and initial results are promising for landscape/wildlife images. Not having shot the D700/D3, I can't compare to those, but it competes favorably with medium format, but not quite there when compared to a drum scan of a 6x17 negative. I print alot on a Epson 7800. The D800 is at home in that area. Even makes a 44" printer a possibility.

Bottom line: If you're not going to print very large prints or do agressive cropping, you probably wouldn't see a significant difference from your D700. The D800 brings some nice newer generation features with it.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#18. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 5

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Wed 06-Jun-12 11:47 AM

>I still need to decide what will make a good second body
>(something less expensive, willing to use in less perfect
>weather conditions, maybe something with a higher frame rate?<Quote<<<

The D800 has exceeded all my expectations.
It is more than fast enough for Sports and excellent for Video.

I found the V1 to be the perfect companion.
With 10-30 lens it fits in my large pockets.
The huge depth of field can be very useful.
It shares the same battery a memory card.
4fps second is fast enough for me but the V1 shoots 10-60fps.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#19. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 13

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Wed 06-Jun-12 12:06 PM

>Rob
>
>Black camera, Black lenses, Black bag ...... & NAS Black hole .....<Quote<<

Simple solution: get a Bigger "Black" Wallet and Bag.

and if you are really rich: get a lens caddy to Chauffeur your Black Escalade full of Black Nikkors and Black Nikon Cameras.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#20. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 17

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Wed 06-Jun-12 02:01 PM

There ARE some advantages however, even in the incremental advances. One reason so many new owners are raving about it is that the camera has optimized all the support subsystems so each modest improvement individually, when combined, results is a better image making machine. Sure it can be cropped for ever, and has amazing detail but the most striking thing is how hard it is to get a bad shot. Metering is coupled to everything so when it has 20 times the resolution everything else improves significantly.

AWB is really effective and is seldom tripped up by bizarre lighting mixes. AF tracks better, and due to the metering sensor advances, tracks during mirror up better than ever before.
Focuses in almost darkness. Every subsystem has been upgraded to levels of cooperation between them is very solid. DR might not be a big deal to some but it further reduces misses shots, point at something and it gets well focused, well exposed, finely detailed image that is the right color. Period, no fuss, not super demand on advanced skills, just point, AF-on press, trip shutter, move on, ignore preview, don't need it because if it could be captured, you just did.
I have used a limited number of cameras but enough ranging from D3, 2, 700, 300, 7000, 90, 80, 7D, 5DII, and some lesser models and this is the first camera that gets it all right regarding anything to do with image quality. It is more forgiving than any of them, with a higher keeper rate.
I really like my D7000 but it is more work to get it right. A frame might look great and be indistinguishable on the web or small print from the D800 but it took more work and more experimenting to get that one that the D800 captures consistently with a single shot.
I shot a tour group of 16 people yesterday who were on an intensive 2 day shore excursion with my company. I wanted to follow a moderate sized group through the day for shots suitable for my blog and web site for shore excursions. A member had a 5dii and another had a D700. Several others had little DSLRs from various companies and compacts.
At lunch we compared how many keepers we got. Shooting in the same conditions of intermittent bright, dark, water reflections, deep shadows, no-flash museums, dark cathedrals, and mixed lighting. That little lunch break probably sold two more D800's. The difference in keepers or just in well exposed, no blown anything, no dead shadow detail or missed AWB was obvious. I shot a small fraction of what the others did, one shot per location and the only one to be deleted was one where the lens was pointed down while climbing down a steep staircase and the shutter accidentally tripped. It just took more consistently proper images in any conditions.
Sure, all those cameras could do well, but not consistently or with so little effort.
One forum member posted that his only disappointment with the D800 is that it is boring to shoot: one frame, one well recorded image. The technical challenge was suddenly gone, now all he gets to deal with is his lack of creativity in subjects.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#21. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006
Wed 06-Jun-12 05:46 PM | edited Wed 06-Jun-12 05:48 PM by klrbee25

I went from a D300 to a D800 (D300 now my 2nd body). It was a nice upgrade. However if I had a D700 I wouldn't have bought the D800. The only reason to go 700->800 is if you have 1) money to burn, 2) uncontrollable urge to have the newest gear (and see reason #1), or 3) really need video, large prints, heavy cropping, or extreme low light focusing.

The low light focusing ability is pretty astonishing. It can focus in situations where it's so dark you can't even see your subject in the viewfinder.

That being said, it's important to remember one of my favorite all time lines from Californication..."you can't polish a turd". That even applies to the mighty D800. Flipping that line around, remember that the D700 is a very capable camera and takes gorgeous pictures, so your photos probably aren't going to improve with just buying a D800.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#22. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 21

Wed 06-Jun-12 06:41 PM

Quote>your photos probably aren't going to improve with just buying a D800.
>-Alex Rosen

Of course not! But if you learn to use it correctly they will improve considerably.

kartane

AU
163 posts

#23. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

kartane Registered since 23rd Apr 2012
Thu 07-Jun-12 01:14 PM

The dynamic range and the colours are simply stunning. Much improved sensor compared to D700. Better/faster autofocus and face recognition.

Colin

"We don’t see things as they are, we see things as we are" - Anaïs Nin

Please visit My Nikonians gallery

smb_ohio

Canton, US
1290 posts

#24. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 2

smb_ohio Registered since 18th Mar 2006
Thu 07-Jun-12 01:43 PM

I would think that the nearly two stop improvement in dynamic range over the D700 is more than an incremental improvement - that is huge !

Steve

A Nikonian in northeastern Ohio

http://stephen-bishop.com

cam08529

Overland Park, US
5 posts

#25. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

cam08529 Registered since 22nd May 2009
Thu 07-Jun-12 03:31 PM

I've had my D800 for about 2 weeks. I did what Mr. Rockwell told me to do (ha-ha) and ordered it from B&H on the first day it was announced at 8:30 AM. The camera has a 30117XX serial number. No focus or any other issues whatsoever.

This is my 4th Nikon DSLR. The D700, D200 and D50 came before it. I got the D700 12/2010 (before the factory shutdown) and used it up to the day the D800 arrived.

Besides the newer sensor technology, the 100% viewfinder and lighter weight were the reasons I made that very fast decision to upgrade. I really didn't care about the 35MP or movie features.

I read a lot of stuff online (here and other places) as I waited for the D800 to arrive. I began to wonder if I had made a bad decision ordering the D800. Focus issues, difraction, does not play well with mid to low end lenses etc. I was concerned the D800 was more than I could handle as I really have lots to improve with my shooting skills.

I'm very pleased with the D800. Is it WAY better than the D700? Of course not, but it is better. I really like the 100% viewfinder & the way it fits in my hands. I notice the lighter weight too. I have decided I can take better pictures with this camera (if I pay attention to what I'm doing) so the D700 is now on that famous auction site.

If you have a D700, don't forget it is still worth some serious coin which will reduce the cost of the upgrade. Because I got my D700 when Nikon was apparently in an inventory reduction mode I won't have to pay all that much for the pleasure of owning it for 18 months. It was well worth having the D700 but I look forward to even greater things with my D800......assuming I pay attention to what I'm doing :0)

Go for it Sujoy.

flbrit

US
3 posts

#26. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 20

flbrit Registered since 23rd Feb 2007
Thu 07-Jun-12 07:50 PM

I agree 100% coming from D200, D300, D700 and now the D800e. Just great plus points all along the way. The only reason to stay with a D700 is the slightly higher frame rates which for my shooting does not matter.

Brian

ttwwpp

Smyrna, US
25 posts

#27. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

ttwwpp Registered since 20th Nov 2005
Thu 07-Jun-12 10:40 PM | edited Thu 07-Jun-12 10:43 PM by ttwwpp

I have both.. And at this point, I still like my D700 better.. With that said, I must confess that I am an avid amatuer photographer.. I do know that with 30+ megapixels everything is amplified... You take a crisp perfect shot with a wonderful lens, the image is stunning.. If you have any flaws with your process or lens, they are evident!

I'm sure the folks with better technique and experience are producing much better results than I... But then again, those same people could produce better shots with an I-phone than I can with my D800...

Basically, it appears I have totally wasted your time... LOL..

By the way, your gallery is spectacular!!! Simply beautiful!

Tim Palmer

Fovea

Colombo, LK
3653 posts

#28. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

Fovea Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2002
Mon 11-Jun-12 03:30 PM

Sujoy,
After looking at you website and profile I thought of mentioning few things that are only relevant to you.

But first of all just buy a D800, or perhaps go for D800E

It will give you some of the things you miss from your Provia/Velvia days. Images are of the same resolution as 35mm hi-res (5600dpi) scans. They are cleaner than multi-sampled Velvia 50 scans and the file sizes are way less.

With a Dynamic Range of 14 stops you can capture those high contrast Himalaya region images and pull out details from shadows very easily in post.

Regards
Dinil

Struck by Light - Blog & Gallery
Visible Range - Commercial photography & digital imaging solutions

avisys

Placitas, US
482 posts

#29. "RE: Reasons to upgrade from a D700 to D800?" | In response to Reply # 14

avisys Basic Member
Mon 11-Jun-12 09:18 PM

>But you have not lost your "DX reach" by going from
>a D300 to the D800. Just change your image area setting to DX
>when you need it and shoot. You'll get a much larger file
>capture than you did on your D300

Actually, it's an insignificantly larger file size ---- actually, pretty much identical to the D300.

HOWEVER, there are other IQ issues that might make the D800 (cropped) a good substitute for a D300.

In my case, a D300 permanently attached to a 200-400 for birds, and a D3 for everything else. Guess what? Sell the D3 and D300 and get a D800 --- I never need the D300 and D3 bodies at the same time. Disadvantage: changing bodies exposes me to sensor dust.

AviSys

G