Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Sun 06-May-12 12:50 PM

Has anyone shot their D800 with the 28-300 Nikkor?

I curious if you think the combination improves the output with this lens or magnifies it's shortcomings.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#1. "RE: D800 with 28-300" | In response to Reply # 0

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Sun 06-May-12 11:25 AM | edited Sun 06-May-12 11:28 AM by walk43

I have given up using the 28-300VR as my default lens. Tested it alot being hopefull but it can not meet my expectations. Just not sharp enough to take close-ups and/or crop. I use my 105 or 70-200 now (sometimes with the TC-17) and will take my 28-300 as a walkaround to get wide or long and just not expect what I get from the 105 or 70-200. I do want a good wide to tele however and am going to keep my eyes open. Those who recommend it must be taking family pics with it.

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kartane

AU
163 posts

#2. "RE: D800 with 28-300" | In response to Reply # 0

kartane Registered since 23rd Apr 2012
Sun 06-May-12 11:28 AM

Its great. I like the range and the D800 has an incredible ability to crop. Mind you I don't shoot brick walls or postage stamps. I believe Ken Rockwell is planing to revisit this lens test on the D800. Pre-D800 he said "This 28-300mm VR replaces an entire bag of lenses or zooms".
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28-300mm.htm

I have always been a zoom person, ever since my film days. It meant I could crop in camera and not have to resort to expensive custom printing. With digital its a new ball game. I don't mind cropping or PP using Lightroom 4.

Colin

"We don’t see things as they are, we see things as we are" - Anaïs Nin

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16976 posts

#3. "RE: D800 with 28-300" | In response to Reply # 0

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Sun 06-May-12 11:56 AM | edited Sun 06-May-12 11:58 AM by walkerr

I've always had a "like/hate" relationship with superzooms (as opposed to a love/hate one), and the 28-300mm isn't any different. I like the flexibility, but dislike the limited aperture range that's usable and don't find the results as good as my other lenses. The D800 doesn't really change any of that for me, and the results follow the same pattern I saw on 12MP bodies. There's more drop-off in sharpness outside the center of the image at wider focal lengths than I would like, as well as more of an overall drop-off in sharpness at the longer focal lengths than I care for, but I can live with those if I really want the convenience factor. Again, that's the same thing I saw on 12MP bodies, so I don't see the D800 really changing anything. It's still a handy lens when you can't or don't want to take more than one lens and need the focal length range. It would never be my primary lens choice.

I actually ended up donating my 28-300mm to my son, along with my old D700, and he absolutely loves the combination. It suits his photography (which is really good) better than mine, and I have no doubt that he'd love it on a D800 as well. He had been using a D200 and 18-200mm for most of his work, but his 18-200mm came apart on him in Portugal, and I decided to be a nice dad. I might pick up a 28-300mm again at some point in the future, but I'm not certain of that. I've learned from past experience that unlike my son, it's not likely to be the lens I take with me often.

Said another (and simpler) way, I think people who like the lens on their older cameras will still like this lens on a D800 and vice versa.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#4. "RE: D800 with 28-300" | In response to Reply # 3

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sun 06-May-12 12:54 PM

I must have an exceptionally good copy.
Very sharp 28-300.
I've used the 28-300 with my D5100 and D7000.
It is even better on my D800.
I only take it off when I need a specialty lens like the 70-200 for indoor Horse Shows.
Or 14-24 & 8mm Sigma FishEye for the Aquarium.

laddad

Kinston, NC, US
1372 posts

#5. "RE: D800 with 28-300" | In response to Reply # 0

laddad Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Nov 2005
Sun 06-May-12 01:21 PM | edited Sun 06-May-12 03:40 PM by laddad

Mick,

Maybe I'm stupid but I read alot about how it is hard to get sharp pictures with the D800 and the need to avoid certain lenses. My D800 is ordered and not here yet but I don't understand this line of thought. If you shoot a scene with a D700 and immediately shoot the same scene with a D800 using the same lens at the same focal length, same aperture and same shutter speed and create a 8 by 10 of each, the images should be the same. I can only guess that a difference would surface when you pixel peep or make enormous enlargements or blow-up from croppings. In other words if the images are used for typical enlargements there should be no obvious difference. In my line of thinking the move from say a D700 to a D800 should be like moving from large grain Tri-X film to the fine grain of Pan-X. Is my line of reasoning incorrect? Why did I purchase a D800? Because I want the ability to make enoumous enlargments and big croppings. Yeh, it is fun to pixel peep. I am curious about your answers since I'm considering purchase of a Nikkor 28-300mm.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#6. "RE: D800 with 28-300" | In response to Reply # 5

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sun 06-May-12 01:33 PM

Quote> If you shoot a scene with a D700 and immediately shoot the same scene with a D800
using the same lens at the same focal length, same aperture and same shutter speed
and create a 8 by 10 of each, the images should be the same. <Quote<<<

They are not the same.
The D800 not only has a better Sensor, processor, white balance, metering, etc., but shows more detail.

As for image blurring, they are the same.
However more pixels show user error mo beta.

laddad

Kinston, NC, US
1372 posts

#7. "RE: D800 with 28-300" | In response to Reply # 6

laddad Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Nov 2005
Sun 06-May-12 01:37 PM | edited Sun 06-May-12 05:57 PM by laddad

Yes there are differences in WB, processing, etc. I was speaking of "blurring" specifically. I should have been more clear on this point.

kartane

AU
163 posts

#8. "RE: D800 with 28-300" | In response to Reply # 2

kartane Registered since 23rd Apr 2012
Mon 07-May-12 12:37 AM

Being a fan of zoom lenses I look for evidence to support my case. eg. 1 zoom replaces a bag full. Quality looks good to me. Convenience factor etc.

Technical lens tests aside, it comes down to what my preferences are. What do I like and want to carry around?

Colin

"We don’t see things as they are, we see things as we are" - Anaïs Nin

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#9. "RE: D800 with 28-300" | In response to Reply # 5

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Mon 07-May-12 12:56 AM

I guess I am wondering of the 28-300 essentially wastes the capabilities of the D800 because the lens isn't up to the task of capturing all of the details.

Mick
or

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16976 posts

#10. "RE: D800 with 28-300" | In response to Reply # 9

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Mon 07-May-12 01:07 AM

Not if you like the lens. I wouldn't advocate making it my only lens, but if you understand its limitations, no problem. I think there's a bit too much made of not fully using the D800's pixels out there on the internet. There are reviewers out there at both extremes: some extolling the benefits of lousy technique and marginal equipment and some who obsess over ridiculous detail and who aren't really photographers. I have a hunch you can find that good middle ground, and there's no reason it can't include a convenient option for certain shooting conditions. The 28-300mm is a much better lens than it ought it be, but it's not as perfect as some would have you believe.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#11. "RE: D800 with 28-300" | In response to Reply # 10

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Mon 07-May-12 12:23 PM | edited Mon 07-May-12 12:26 PM by walk43

I agree with you. I 'am' a pixel peeper but only when I want to be. For general shots, I am happy with the 28-300. And one of the things that I like about the 28-300 is the short working distance...I think about 15 inches or so...and I am often tempted to use it for close-in work. I do a lot of macro and close up work. So if I am out in a field looking at butterflys and flowers and I want a full frame general shot at say 3 feet that I can use in a non-close-up mode the 28-300 gives me that flexibility and I can switch from scenery to flowers etc with one lens. BUT...if I want to get in close to get a bug, spider or internal workings of a flower and I am at 18 inches and maybe plan to crop even closer, the 28-300 doesn't cut it. It is not nearly as clear and crisp as my 105 or 70-200...but then it is not intended to be. That's what I consider to be the limitations of the lens and what I would expect for a 28-300 zoom. It gives me the same general results that I got on my D90 but I got the D800 to have more crisp details and I need the 105 or 70-200 for that. And the D800 delivers in spades. The 28-300 is not a BAD lens...just not as good as others for some types of shooting. You always have to use the right gear for your objectives and when you buy a 28-300 you must use it for it's strengths...flexibility. Not crisp tight work.

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

mikesrc

OKLAHOMA CITY, US
299 posts

#12. "RE: D800 with 28-300" | In response to Reply # 11

mikesrc Registered since 03rd May 2009
Mon 07-May-12 01:51 PM

I had a 28-300 it left town. I think I'm going to go with the best primes I can afford and not worry to much about the zooms. I do have two zooms I will keep forever an old 28-85 3.5-4.5 and a 28-200 3.5-5.6G ED. If I spend any big money it will be on primes.

realim

Auckland, NZ
18 posts

#13. "RE: D800 with 28-300" | In response to Reply # 0

realim Registered since 06th May 2012
Mon 07-May-12 07:12 PM

Quite a heavy combo close to 1.9kg, but I love it!
I've uploaded 2 photographs in my gallery

Philip Weber

Idyllwild, US
110 posts

#14. "RE: D800 with 28-300" | In response to Reply # 0

Philip Weber Silver Member Nikonian since 07th May 2008
Mon 07-May-12 11:32 PM

I've really enjoyed the 28-300 on my D700 & D7000 and the D800 is due to arrive this week(!) so I'll post something more when I've tested it some.

I agree with Rick in that it'd never replace my "Big 3" (14-24, 24-70, 70-200 VR II) but it's been darn handy as an all-purpose lens when more than one lens just didn't do and I'm assuming it'll be the same on the D800, unless its sensor really shows it's not up to the task.

More later...

Phil

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16976 posts

#15. "RE: D800 with 28-300" | In response to Reply # 14

Tue 08-May-12 12:42 AM

Just to put some perspective on my comments above, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I end up with a 28-300mm again. Although I have mixed feelings regarding it, it sure is handy at times.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#16. "RE: D800 with 28-300" | In response to Reply # 15

Tue 08-May-12 02:02 AM

I've decided to part with my 28-300. I plan on getting a D800e mainly for it's ability to catch more, sharp detail. My other lenses will do best for maximizing that potential.

For walkaround use and lightweight travel, I'll keep my D7000 with a decent, light superzoom.

I appreciate the input.

Thanks!

Mick
or

G