Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Contrasting the D800 and D800e

Vhemi

Vancouver, CA
222 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Vhemi Registered since 24th Jun 2009
Sun 18-Mar-12 11:06 AM

An interesting article that contrasts the D800 and D800E, and offers insight into the importance of camera handling technique and lenses on image quality.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/nikon_d800_or_d800e.shtml

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Bokeh888

South Florida, US
92 posts

#1. "RE: Contrasting the D800 and D800e" | In response to Reply # 0

Bokeh888 Registered since 31st Dec 2011
Sun 18-Mar-12 03:15 PM

>An interesting article that contrasts the D800 and D800E, and
>offers insight into the importance of camera handling
>technique and lenses on image quality.
>
>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/nikon_d800_or_d800e.shtml

Interesting. Thank you. My photography is mostly portraits and travel on a nonprofessional level. I am curious about this question.

I shoot in RAW only (money for the price difference in the 800 and 800E aside), does a 800E seem like a more logical purchase for the highest quality with minimal post processing hassle given the content of the article? It appears that way.

Thanks.

Nikon D 800E, Nikon D7000
Nikon 24mm/1.4G
Nikon 85mm/1.4G
Really Right Stuff TQC-14 Tripod/BH-40 ball head/D800E L Plate

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10631 posts

#2. "RE: Contrasting the D800 and D800e" | In response to Reply # 1

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sun 18-Mar-12 03:29 PM | edited Sun 18-Mar-12 03:30 PM by ericbowles

Vince - thanks for posting the link. Pretty consistent with teh consensus view on the D800 vs. D800E.

I'd be reluctant to get the D800E if my emphasis was portraits or weddings. The occasional moire in fabrics might be a real nuisance at times. And with portraits, a little softness is often preferred to absolute sharpness. I think portraits call for the D800 over the D800E

Likewise for travel, there is no real advantage of the D800 unless you make intentional compromises. For example, you could use a light DX lens kit (16-85 and 70-300 lenses) in crop mode and you essentially have D7000 images. You may also shoot more handheld with travel photography and therefore not be able to realize the value of the large files and highest resolution. Large files also have an impact on storage and backup while traveling.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#3. "RE: Contrasting the D800 and D800e" | In response to Reply # 0

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Sun 18-Mar-12 05:26 PM

I plan on the D800. The reason is spending $300 more for the D800E doesn't seem like it is worth it since I only have one of the recommended lenses for it. I do think that if you are paying for the extra detail, you should have the lenses capable of it.

I do have some very good lenses though.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#4. "RE: Contrasting the D800 and D800e" | In response to Reply # 0

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Wed 21-Mar-12 11:02 AM

An interesting point re the 'recommended' lens list - the 50mm f/1.4G is not on the list but these three are:

24mm f/1.4G
35mm f/1.4G
85mm f/1.4G

G