Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Live view mode blackout issues for studio use

skrde77

ID
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
skrde77 Registered since 09th Nov 2012
Mon 17-Dec-12 08:53 AM

Hi Mates
is there any proper fix to this issue? I've been breaking my head over it.
Usually in a a studio setting we would use settings like manual - f/8 and 160 shutter or f/11 and 125 shutter speed with ISO fixed at 100 - 200. In that case one would see a completely blacked out LCD. There seems to be no way to get an adjusted boost that shows the image on the LCD for focussing etc. This makes using D 800 with live view very difficult for studio use which otherwise the camera is ideal for. Usually much cheaper DSLR's are able to do this live view in studio ..... is this a bug?
Some people have suggested using A mode and then finding focus and switching to M post that / or manually changing aperture till we can see the image on LCD - however these are not usable fixes.

Regards
Skrde77

BR

Glen Mills, US
542 posts

#1. "RE: Live view mode blackout issues for studio use" | In response to Reply # 0

BR Registered since 17th Nov 2006
Mon 17-Dec-12 02:09 PM

I posted a similar question a couple of days ago and haven't received any replies yet.

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=20604&mesg_id=20604&page=

Barry

jtmcg

Simsbury, US
5042 posts

#2. "RE: Live view mode blackout issues for studio use" | In response to Reply # 0

jtmcg Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife, Macro & Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007
Mon 17-Dec-12 06:09 PM

From Thom Hogan's guide regarding changes to LV in the D800 pg 477.

"That second change is one that is frustrating to some shooters (e.g. studio shooters triggering studio lighting during the shot but using ambient exposure to set up the shot). Manual exposure always always respects the exposure and shows you what you will get."

So if you set the exposure manually, it will be show the exposure you would get at that lighting condition with that manual exposure which will probably be so UX the screen will be black. Doesn't seem to be any way around it except using a different exposure mode.

John

DAJolley

US
1301 posts

#3. "RE: Live view mode blackout issues for studio use" | In response to Reply # 0

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Mon 17-Dec-12 07:39 PM

Since you are shooting in manual mode, why not just rotate the front command dial to a larger aperture for focusing and then return to your shooting aperture?
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

BR

Glen Mills, US
542 posts

#4. "RE: Live view mode blackout issues for studio use" | In response to Reply # 3

Mon 17-Dec-12 09:37 PM

If you're at the flash sync speed (say 1/250 sec) then even at full aperture you might not have enough ambient light to get a good display. It's been suggested to use A mode and then switch to manual before the shot. Either is not ideal.

Barry

DAJolley

US
1301 posts

#5. "RE: Live view mode blackout issues for studio use" | In response to Reply # 4

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Mon 17-Dec-12 11:20 PM | edited Mon 17-Dec-12 11:22 PM by DAJolley

>If you're at the flash sync speed (say 1/250 sec) then even
>at full aperture you might not have enough ambient light to
>get a good display. It's been suggested to use A mode and then
>switch to manual before the shot. Either is not ideal.
>
>Barry

Then adjust both aperture and shutter speed until the image is bright enough in the viewfinder to check focus and compose. It only takes a second. I do it all the time when shooting landscapes in low light. Are studio demands different?
Dave

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

Carmen Tulum

Toronto, CA
43 posts

#6. "RE: Live view mode blackout issues for studio use" | In response to Reply # 0

Carmen Tulum Registered since 09th Nov 2012
Tue 18-Dec-12 08:18 PM

I have noticed that, with your settings, if the camera is in auto focus and in Live view and you press the shutter half way down, you have a good view of what's going on - only while you press the shutter. Will that work?

BR

Glen Mills, US
542 posts

#7. "RE: Live view mode blackout issues for studio use" | In response to Reply # 5

Tue 18-Dec-12 11:08 PM

>Then adjust both aperture and shutter speed until the image is
>bright enough in the viewfinder to check focus and compose. It
>only takes a second. I do it all the time when shooting
>landscapes in low light. Are studio demands different?

Yes, if there's subject movement.

Barry

skrde77

ID
4 posts

#8. "RE: Live view mode blackout issues for studio use" | In response to Reply # 6

skrde77 Registered since 09th Nov 2012
Thu 20-Dec-12 02:55 AM

>I have noticed that, with your settings, if the camera is in
>auto focus and in Live view and you press the shutter half way
>down, you have a good view of what's going on - only while you
>press the shutter. Will that work?

thats correct .... actually it does give a view for a few moments with shutter half way. Not ideal but usable. Thanks buddy.

Regards
skrde77

G