Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Question About Using Eye-Fi on D800

bobcowin

New York, US
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
bobcowin Registered since 05th Jan 2008
Thu 06-Dec-12 12:43 AM | edited Thu 06-Dec-12 01:03 AM by bobcowin

I recently purchased a D800 (love it!) and today purchased the Eye-Fi 16Gb Pro X2. My question is, how do I use it?

I have enabled Eye-Fi Upload in the setup menu. However I thought that the Wireless Transmitter section would then be enabled, but it is not. So how do I set up the camera to access my secure wireless network at home? How do I upload photos via wireless?

I can't find any information in the manuals, Darrell's book, or on-line beyond enabling it. I looked through every menu item, and besides the disabled Wireless Transmitter section I see nothing about setting up the wireless communication.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Bob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

danshep

Olympia, US
1629 posts

#1. "RE: Question About Using Eye-Fi on D800" | In response to Reply # 0

danshep Gold Member Charter Member
Thu 06-Dec-12 02:50 AM

My recommendation is to search this site and if no info is out there, Google it.

I did a search on "eye fi nikon d800" and got several hits.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10536 posts

#2. "RE: Question About Using Eye-Fi on D800" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 06-Dec-12 03:18 PM | edited Thu 06-Dec-12 03:20 PM by ericbowles

There are two parts of setting up the Eye-Fi casd. You need to format the device and register it with your computer. And you need to activate the camera setting to use the card.

Once setup, you need to make sure your computer is recognizing the card. That may mean picking it as a device that should "talk" to your computer. You don't need to access your home network but rather your computer.

One more thing - the file size of the D800 is very large and I don't think it works very well to transmit full files. I set up my cameras to write the NEF to the CF card and a small basic JPEG to the Eye-Fi card.

If you have an iPad, you need to download the app for the Eye-Fi.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US
2318 posts

#3. "RE: Question About Using Eye-Fi on D800" | In response to Reply # 2

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006
Thu 06-Dec-12 03:37 PM

Have they addressed the issue with the card and ad-hoc networks?

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics on Instagram

bobcowin

New York, US
4 posts

#4. "RE: Question About Using Eye-Fi on D800" | In response to Reply # 2

bobcowin Registered since 05th Jan 2008
Thu 06-Dec-12 03:44 PM

Thanks. Formatting the card is one thing I didn't do, will do that tonight. Unfortunately, though, I don't have a laptop, but a desktop without wireless. It is connected to my home network, which has wireless access.

Westnorthwest

US
1 posts

#5. "RE: Question About Using Eye-Fi on D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Westnorthwest Registered since 06th Dec 2012
Thu 06-Dec-12 05:09 PM

I just had a similar situation. I started by sending an email to their support location. They quickly opened a Case Log and spent a lot of time troubleshooting the problem. I'm pretty happy with their efforts. After a lot of work, they determined that an error existed in the card and I am now waiting for the replacement.

benveniste

Boston Area, US
10258 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#6. "RE: Question About Using Eye-Fi on D800" | In response to Reply # 3

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous suppport to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002
Thu 06-Dec-12 06:08 PM

Supposedly yes, but I haven't had a chance to try out the updated firmware yet.

One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it. - Galen Rowell

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10536 posts

#7. "RE: Question About Using Eye-Fi on D800" | In response to Reply # 3

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 06-Dec-12 08:22 PM

I'm not having any problems using my Eye-Fi card in my D800 and communicating with either my iPad or my computer. I've also tested today with my D7000 and D600.

The settings are kind of fussy on the Eye-Fi card. For example, if you take the card out or power off, you need to reestablish the wifi connection with your device.

I've had good luck with EyeFi support by phone.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US
2318 posts

#8. "RE: Question About Using Eye-Fi on D800" | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 06-Dec-12 08:35 PM

It looks like they fixed whatever problems they had. As I recall it was an antenna issue that only came up with adhoc networks. There was mention of it on their web site and it is gone now.

Put it on the XMAS list.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10536 posts

#9. "RE: Question About Using Eye-Fi on D800" | In response to Reply # 8

Thu 06-Dec-12 08:41 PM

There was a recent firmware update for the card. And you have to have specific models of cards for best performance. I'm using the 8GB Eye-Fi Pro.

The other caution area is with file size. This card is really not for transferring full RAW images from the D800 or D600. The transfer rate is just too slow to be practical. But if you use Basic JPEG for transfer, it's okay.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

avet4life

US
6 posts

#10. "RE: Question About Using Eye-Fi on D800" | In response to Reply # 5

avet4life Registered since 05th Dec 2012
Fri 07-Dec-12 12:41 AM

Until eyefi fix all the issue I am not touching it, also I shoot mostly raw. So I am not that much interested

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10536 posts

#11. "RE: Question About Using Eye-Fi on D800" | In response to Reply # 10

Fri 07-Dec-12 12:59 AM

I've seen some great studio work with an iPad rather than a tethered PC. The solution is still evolving as gains in bandwidth are offset by file size increases. One of the PPA instructors from Texas makes it a major part of his client work. Many commercial photographers in NY are using it so clients can immediately view images during a shoot rather than chimping on a DSLR. And navigation is intuitive for an iPad user.

Overall, it's a pretty good solution if you need or get value from immediate images. The JPEG's on an iPad look great - and certainly are good enough to impress a client.

There are a host of solutions with this approach. For an event photographer, event images can be displayed in real time. Even for sports you can get a lot of mileage out of stills viewed immediately.

For large files or RAW images, there are other solutions. This is really not a solution for RAW files - nor does it try to be such since there are bandwidth limitations of an SD card solution.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US
2318 posts

#12. "RE: Question About Using Eye-Fi on D800" | In response to Reply # 11

Fri 07-Dec-12 01:24 AM

It can work easily into a work flow of a dual slot camera. I capture NEF on the CF card and small jpg's on the SD card. With this I won't have to wait until a long break to make the transfer to the IPad using the camera kit.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10536 posts

#13. "RE: Question About Using Eye-Fi on D800" | In response to Reply # 12

Fri 07-Dec-12 10:26 AM

The dual slot cameras make this work much better than a single slot camera. I can see reasons for both.

I'm still getting the hang of transfer speed, but it seems pretty good. My guess is we are talking 10-15 seconds for a basic JPEG - maybe longer. Part of that is recognizing the device. Actual transfer speeds can be faster. I'll bring it next weekend to the Atlanta Nikonians outing.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US
2318 posts

#14. "RE: Question About Using Eye-Fi on D800" | In response to Reply # 13

Fri 07-Dec-12 01:31 PM

Thanks Eric. What kind of range are you getting on it?

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery

G