Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
jfitzg14

US
143 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jfitzg14 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2012
Fri 30-Nov-12 09:51 PM

I was wondering what the consensus is on the magnified
eyepiece.  Does it help or hinder a novice.  I purchased the
Hoodman eyepiece to help me better stabilize in my handheld
pictures.  Any opinions?  Thanks.

HSSwan

Hollywood, US
58 posts

#1. "RE: Eyepiece" | In response to Reply # 0

HSSwan Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded as a winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 24th Jun 2006
Fri 30-Nov-12 10:29 PM | edited Fri 30-Nov-12 10:31 PM by HSSwan

Are you asking about their eyecup or magnified hoodloupe? I have both. The eyecup is very useful and comfortable. The hoodloupe is really handy especially on a bright day.

RWSTARRETT

Gardnerville, US
149 posts

#2. "RE: Eyepiece" | In response to Reply # 0

RWSTARRETT Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Feb 2009
Sat 01-Dec-12 10:28 PM | edited Sat 01-Dec-12 10:29 PM by RWSTARRETT

I think, having used it extensively, that the Hoodman loupe is an essential. My wife and I each put one around our neck before picking up a camera. I no longer have any concern about visibility in bright light. Highly recommended.
The eyepieces are useful, but less essential. My wife uses the larger one which is meant to accommodate eyeglasses and allow one to see the viewfinder while wearing them. I have two of the smaller ones on my cameras because they do block out extraneous light and minimize facial contact with the eyepiece and subsequent smudges. They don't actually magnify.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G