Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 report - Ming Thein

dhmiller

US
899 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dhmiller Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 19th May 2009
Mon 29-Oct-12 01:12 AM

Ming Thien, one of my favorite writers and photographers, posted a "mid-term report" about the D800. I think he is right on - worth a read for sure.
It's the top post at his blog today:
http://blog.mingthein.com/

Dennis

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JonK

New York, US
6412 posts

#1. "RE: D800 report - Ming Thein" | In response to Reply # 0

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Mon 29-Oct-12 04:33 PM

An interesting read, especially his conclusions as to who should buy which camera.

I do agree about focus. WHen it's on, it's on; but sometimes it misses — by a little or a lot. I'm not sure why; it is not repeatable. Bottom line is the D800e does not quite as reliable as by D3s in this regard.

But I still love it.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16973 posts

#2. "RE: D800 report - Ming Thein" | In response to Reply # 0

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Mon 29-Oct-12 04:52 PM

It seems overly dramatic to me in many ways. I don't find either the D800 or D800e terribly difficult to use, and I seem to enjoy the camera much more than he does.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

JonK

New York, US
6412 posts

#3. "RE: D800 report - Ming Thein" | In response to Reply # 2

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Mon 29-Oct-12 05:01 PM

I agree about the enjoyment. What's your take on focus?

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16973 posts

#4. "RE: D800 report - Ming Thein" | In response to Reply # 3

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Mon 29-Oct-12 05:14 PM

The focus seems very similar to other higher-end Nikon bodies to me and maybe a little quicker to lock-on. I definitely haven't noticed any strangeness in this area.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#5. "RE: D800 report - Ming Thein" | In response to Reply # 4

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Mon 29-Oct-12 08:17 PM

Interesting read, and I tend to agree with most of it.

Hand held, though is quite doable, if you keep the shutter speed up (which means abandoning ISO 100 a lot). I do find the focusing to be fine. The Dynamic Range is impressive.

But I agree, the D3s is a more forgiving camera, and certainly better at higher ISO in terms of noise control. When you don't need huge files, it may be a better choice.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

venusian

US
186 posts

#6. "RE: D800 report - Ming Thein" | In response to Reply # 5

venusian Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Wed 31-Oct-12 04:52 PM

As I understand it, Ming Thein had a left-focus issue with his 800E. It was sent in for repairs around July and then returned to him. He seems to be satisfied with it, but I'm wondering if it was repaired to the same level of performance as a manufactured 800E that does not have left-focus issues.

In fact, based on reading other posts, I'm wondering if a rock solid repair for left-focus/related issues is in place at Nikon repair facilities.

Nick (Roxbury, Connecticut Nikonian)

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4969 posts

#7. "RE: D800 report - Ming Thein" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 03-Nov-12 01:20 AM

I really like his photography. His Monet water lilies from Japan are very nice. I love his street stuff.

I didn't realize the D600 fixed the LiveView issue for studio photographers. Would like to know more. ""If you shoot manual exposure, live view mode always shows you a preview of the actual exposure. Guess what this means if you’ve got things set up for a studio strobe exposure with zero ambient: a black frame! You’ll have to toggle back and forth between P and M modes to focus, which wastes time and is unnecessary – especially since they fixed this on the D600. I hope it’s something that gets addressed in a future firmware update. Or, at least give us an option…

I don't get why people tout Power Aperture - it doesn't work whilst I am recording. It works before hitting record and after stopping recording. Did Nikon forget something here or I am continuing to miss something?

I didn't agree with his next blurb down, about dials and controls at all. Or his last bit, how can one not bond with this camera!!!!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

G