Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

memory cards and the camera's processing speed

lukaswerth

Lahore, PK
578 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lukaswerth Registered since 24th May 2012
Mon 22-Oct-12 08:59 AM

If there is one point which I think may be improved with my camera, it is how long it takes to process a picture and return to action after exposing in life view. Now, my memory cards were bought with keeping my budget in mind: a 32GB SD and an 8GB CF from Scandisk, both with speeds of 20 or 30 MB/S. Now, I read in a review on Luminous Landscape that the processing time can be brought down to about 2 seconds - very wishful for me.
Can anyone tell whether there is really such a big difference in different cards, and which cards are the best for the D800 - I remember reading that some tend to give problems.

Lukas

Trying to be a keeper of the light

RECONLEY

Marietta, US
586 posts

#1. "RE: memory cards and the camera's processing speed" | In response to Reply # 0

RECONLEY Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2012
Mon 22-Oct-12 09:40 AM

I am using a Lexar 1000X 16GB CF card in my D800. I just took a shot in LV and timed the green light going out. It was about 1 second not two. Hope this helps.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Hawk Eyes

US
167 posts

#2. "RE: memory cards and the camera's processing speed" | In response to Reply # 0

Hawk Eyes Registered since 09th Jun 2012
Mon 22-Oct-12 12:27 PM | edited Mon 22-Oct-12 12:31 PM by Hawk Eyes

Use any of these and dont look back..Save up if you have to. if you want zero problems use the Extreme pros 90MB CF and 95MB SD with the D800.
They are the best.

SanDisk
Extreme Pro

SDCFXP
16 GB
32 GB
64 GB
128 GB

lukaswerth

Lahore, PK
578 posts

#3. "RE: memory cards and the camera's processing speed" | In response to Reply # 2

lukaswerth Registered since 24th May 2012
Tue 23-Oct-12 10:32 AM

Well, thank you for the answers. This really helps, and the cards you recommended are far less expensive than I feared.

For me, this turned out to be an issue only when using the camera in different situations.

Lukas

Trying to be a keeper of the light

noneco

Vancouver, CA
321 posts

#4. "RE: memory cards and the camera's processing speed" | In response to Reply # 3

noneco Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th May 2009
Tue 23-Oct-12 10:18 PM

Situational: I took some long exposure low light shots of stars - 4-5 min. The camera took 15-20 sec. to process the image before it started to trasfer it to the CF. The green light only came on when the transfer started.

Cal

Visit http://www.365.acdsee.com/user/Cal/

G