Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Image quality versus lens

RWSTARRETT

Gardnerville, US
145 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RWSTARRETT Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Feb 2009
Sun 21-Oct-12 11:20 PM

My D800 arrived with no appreciable defects, no focussing issues. My wife and I went out on a catamaran on the San Francisco Bay during Fleet Week.....there should be some great photo ops here. I took my D800 with a 500mm f4 lens, thinking I could get great photos of the Americas Cup boats racing. My wife took her D7000 with a 300mm f2.8 lens. I think the net result was a tie. Yes, the D800 makes large, beautiful, detailed images, but the D700 with that lens has almost the same reach. It was able to focus faster and better on the fast moving aircraft. As a result, my wife came home with more good images than I did. Please see our website,

http://www.starrettimages.com/Airplanes/Fleet-Week-SF-Bay/25889954_R6L996#!i=2156798225&k=D8VpvpK

Maybe the choice of lens is more important than the camera body!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Kidkett

Campo, US
442 posts

#1. "RE: Image quality versus lens" | In response to Reply # 0

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010
Sun 21-Oct-12 10:30 PM

I wished you would have given details about how you were shooting each camera and what settings. I hope that you had a high shutter speed (at least 1600 and even better 1/2000 or more) on your D800 and were shooting AF-C mode with the 51 focus points. Also to really test the cameras against each other you should have switched lenses with each other and seen how they worked on each camera. Yes I would believe that the 300mm f2.8 would focus faster than the 500mm f4 in these shooting conditions, so try it on your D800 and see how it does. Did you play with different setting, I find this camera is not nearly like any other cameras out there, and you have to find the right setting for everything you do with it. So keep trying and switch lenses and see how each one works with your camera.

And if you can shoot at 1/4000 f2.8 or f4, take it as I know that you will see a better picture with even more detail. I have a feeling that is why your wife got some better pictures as you say. What settings did she shoot at?

Please let us know how and what settings you were shooting at, maybe we can give you some tips here. You have some nice pictures here but I don’t know what was taken with what camera so it is hard to say anything.

Enjoy,
Bill

Hawk Eyes

US
167 posts

#2. "RE: Image quality versus lens" | In response to Reply # 0

Hawk Eyes Registered since 09th Jun 2012
Mon 22-Oct-12 01:24 AM | edited Mon 22-Oct-12 01:30 AM by Hawk Eyes

Interesting, I find my D800e superior to my old D700 and D7000 in every way, sharper and clearer slightly slower, but I am ok with that.
I could go on and on about the D800 specs and sensor.
but the proof is in the photos I take. The easy answer is sell the D800 or take it back sounds like it is not the camera for you.
Aslo why would you post the same thing two times in a row but add the D700 in another post lolol ??? ......https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=18488&mesg_id=18488&page=

Kidkett

Campo, US
442 posts

#3. "RE: Image quality versus lens" | In response to Reply # 0

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010
Mon 22-Oct-12 04:56 AM

Ok I just looked in your gallery and found some setting on the pictures you took. I tell you that the red plane making a dive and shot at f6.7 @1/2000, you really need to be shooting at f4 @ 1/4000. With the D800 you have to keep the shutter speed up high especially when moving the camera around, it is a must, if you have read anything about this camera before it came out, this is one thing you should have learned. If you would have shot it at f4 @ 1/4000 you would have seen a big difference even if you would have had to move the ISO up a little. I also think shooting with the 300mm you’re going to see a difference with that lens on your camera than the 500mm with it being a little easier to shoot.

I see your wife shot the three jets at f8 @ 1/000 and would have been better for her to shoot at f4 @ 1/2000 that would have given her an even better picture. But even with that lens on you D800 you still would have had to shoot 1/3200 and better yet at 1/4000 to get the shot she did, it is just the way it is with the D800 and no way around it. You’re going to have to play around with the setting until you find what works for you and your going to find out you have to keep the shutter speed way up when you are moving the camera around especially on fast moving objects. That is why a lot of people say this camera is made for a tripod, but it is not you just have to get the setting right. If you use the 300mm you will find that you can even crop quite a bit and still have a great picture with the D800. But I would figure out what setting I need and use the 500mm as you will find them just keep playing.

I sure you have heard to keep the shutter speed the same or higher as the lens your using. Well the D800 is three times higher for stills and five times if you’re panning your camera, when it is not on a tripod.

So try what I am tell you here and see if it doesn't make a big difference. It is a really good camera and you have two great lenses too use it with, we just need to learn how to use it with the D800.

Enjoy it,
Bill

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Kidkett

Campo, US
442 posts

#4. "RE: Image quality versus lens" | In response to Reply # 0

Mon 22-Oct-12 04:56 AM

Ok I just looked in your gallery and found some setting on the pictures you took. I tell you that the red plane making a dive and shot at f6.7 @1/2000, you really need to be shooting at f4 @ 1/4000. With the D800 you have to keep the shutter speed up high especially when moving the camera around, it is a must, if you have read anything about this camera before it came out, this is one thing you should have learned. If you would have shot it at f4 @ 1/4000 you would have seen a big difference even if you would have had to move the ISO up a little. I also think shooting with the 300mm you’re going to see a difference with that lens on your camera than the 500mm with it being a little easier to shoot.

I see your wife shot the three jets at f8 @ 1/000 and would have been better for her to shoot at f4 @ 1/2000 that would have given her an even better picture. But even with that lens on you D800 you still would have had to shoot 1/3200 and better yet at 1/4000 to get the shot she did, it is just the way it is with the D800 and no way around it. You’re going to have to play around with the setting until you find what works for you and your going to find out you have to keep the shutter speed way up when you are moving the camera around especially on fast moving objects. That is why a lot of people say this camera is made for a tripod, but it is not you just have to get the setting right. If you use the 300mm you will find that you can even crop quite a bit and still have a great picture with the D800. But I would figure out what setting I need and use the 500mm as you will find them just keep playing.

I sure you have heard to keep the shutter speed the same or higher as the lens your using. Well the D800 is three times higher for stills and five times if you’re panning your camera, when it is not on a tripod.

So try what I am tell you here and see if it doesn't make a big difference. It is a really good camera and you have two great lenses too use it with, we just need to learn how to use it with the D800.

Enjoy it,
Bill

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

RWSTARRETT

Gardnerville, US
145 posts

#5. "RE: Image quality versus lens" | In response to Reply # 4

RWSTARRETT Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Feb 2009
Mon 22-Oct-12 02:34 PM

Thanks for all the good advice! I shot the D800 mostly at 1/3000 for the airplanes and I've learned to use auto-iso for these fast moving situations, so I could have and should have gone even higher. We were also on a rocking boat and tripods were not an option; we used monopods. My hope was to make up for imprecision in focus with a bit more depth of field. My wife was not using a high enough shutter speed, but advising her on every little aspect of photography is much like teaching your wife to drive. She's learning. Next time we'll both know!
I guess the point of my post is that the D7000 and the D800 are both capable of producing superb images and I was impressed how well the 7000 did. It's smaller, lighter, gets more reach with a long lens and is physically a bit easier to handle. I'm still learning about my D800. It sure makes some gorgeous, detailed pictures, particularly on a tripod. I have a D700 that I now use as a second body, but clearly the D800 images are spectacular in comparison. The D7000, however, is a darn good camera and just feels good to use. Aside from the obvious advantage of full frame, the superior low light performance of the D800 compared with the DX camera has impressed me the most.

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#6. "RE: Image quality versus lens" | In response to Reply # 5

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012
Mon 22-Oct-12 07:18 PM

I don't know about rocking boat but with good follow technique you don't need high shutter speed.
Here is one at 1/250 and another 1/400
Both taken with D800 and Sigma 50-500mm OS which is pretty light lens compared to yours and easy to hold without getting tired.

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#7. "RE: Image quality versus lens" | In response to Reply # 0

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Tue 23-Oct-12 05:20 AM

Some nice photos RW. Shooting from a boat is challenging.

I have to somewhat disagree with Bill about high shutter speeds. This jet was clocking about 500mph, shoat with a D800, 80-400mm @ 300mm, f/5.3, and 1/250. High shutter speeds are not necessary for great photos of aircraft, even with the D800.

This was the first time I used the D800 for aircraft in flight and the camera performed with excellence. Normally I shoot in all manual. This was also the first time I used AE/AF-C, Aperture Priority, Spot or center-weighted metering. I started with AF-C 51 points, and quickly changed to 21 points, then 9 points where I stayed.

I compared my photos with the D7000 and 80-400mm from the previous two years. The D7000 is a very admiral performing camera. However overall I had significantly more keepers with the D800 than the D7000. And the cropping ability gave me the same or a little more reach compared with the D7000.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

G