Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

The D800E and a storage tank

Obregon

New York City, US
2613 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Obregon Moderator Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Wed 29-Aug-12 08:27 PM

I knew that the my new D800E was going to cost me more than just the cost of a camera body. I had accepted the fact that my old computer and 500 GB internal drives were going to need upgrading unless I was willing to accept Lightroom slowing to a crawl. What I didn't know was that my Epson Storage Viewer was going to give me a bunch of question marks when I tried to back up a 16GB card and a statement that it "cannot display this photo. The format is unknown."

Does anyone know a storage viewer that can back up D800 images on a 16GB card?

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4133 posts

#1. "RE: The D800E and a storage tank" | In response to Reply # 0

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Wed 29-Aug-12 09:03 PM

I have a Hyperdrive Colorspace that I got a few years ago. It backs up and displays my D800e files from a 32Gb UDMA CF just fine. This is a couple generations behind the current Hyperdirve product line, but I would expect that the current Colorspace UDMA 2 should work just fine and should be much faster backing up the cards. The Hyoerdrive Colorspace UMDA 2 is available at B&H, Amazon, and probably other online retailers.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

johntechx

UK
13 posts

#2. "RE: The D800E and a storage tank" | In response to Reply # 1

johntechx Registered since 09th Jul 2012
Fri 31-Aug-12 12:15 AM

I have an Epson P3000 - it will back up my D800 files (RAW and JPG) but will only display the images from the JPG files. You have to set the lower resolution JPG format for it to work (medium quality from memory) as it won't display the large /fine JPG files

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#3. "RE: The D800E and a storage tank" | In response to Reply # 0

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012
Sun 02-Sep-12 08:14 PM

I second Hyperdrive.

I have all of the versions since very beginning (still do) but the last one. Only had minor problem with the last one but I kind of corrected it.
As soon as empty shell becomes available I will buy it and insert my own HD.

Positives are:
Very fast transfer rate, good battery life, can use external battery.
Designed to be taken apart and insert your own HD. Battery can be user replaceable too.

Negatives are none except the UDMA version had problems with one certain off brand memory cards and one brand name card.
Both cards had to be 600x speed to not to work with it.
According to Kevin, who is tech support, these cards drew too much power from the drive. This problem should be fixed in the UDMA 2.
I had of of those cards so I returned it Amazon.

Even older UDMA unit can display D800 NEF files.

simonk

Canvey Island, UK
28 posts

#4. "RE: The D800E and a storage tank" | In response to Reply # 3

simonk Registered since 29th Apr 2009
Sat 08-Sep-12 01:02 PM

Just for reference I have just purchased a ColorSpace UDMA 2 and am having major problems with it reading any NEF files. You can copy them to the device OK but it cannot display them. It keeps coming up saying there are no files in the folder.

I am currently waiting on responses from technical support. It may be that I have a bad device or there is a more fundamental problem with the software.

I just say this as a heads up to anyone. If I get any more information I will update here. Also if anyone has a UDMA 2 device that is working then please can you let me know.

Simon

Simon
D4, D800
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

simonk

Canvey Island, UK
28 posts

#5. "RE: The D800E and a storage tank" | In response to Reply # 4

simonk Registered since 29th Apr 2009
Wed 19-Sep-12 07:05 AM

As promised here is an update.

It is not a problem specific to my device. It basically cannot display either D300 or D800 NEF files and was struggling with just JPG's

It is back with my supplier and they are currenty waiting on a firmware update to fix the issue. Firmware V23 does not fix the issue.

I must say I am extremely dissapointed by the obvious lack of testing undertaken by the manufacturer. You may possibly forgive them for D800 support but there should be no excuse for the D300.

Simon

Simon
D4, D800
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#6. "RE: The D800E and a storage tank" | In response to Reply # 5

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012
Wed 19-Sep-12 06:14 PM | edited Wed 19-Sep-12 06:15 PM by InsaneO

>As promised here is an update.
>
>It is not a problem specific to my device. It basically cannot
>display either D300 or D800 NEF files and was struggling with
>just JPG's
>
>It is back with my supplier and they are currenty waiting on a
>firmware update to fix the issue. Firmware V23 does not fix
>the issue.
>
>I must say I am extremely dissapointed by the obvious lack of
>testing undertaken by the manufacturer. You may possibly
>forgive them for D800 support but there should be no excuse
>for the D300.
>
>Simon

Thank you so much for the update. I was about to buy it.
The funny part is that this device supposed to be compatible with any future RAW files according to their ads. I know the guy in charge too and spoke with him few months ago. I always only buy casing at discount and put my own hard drive in it. I am going to email him to find out what is going on. I think this company is in to Apple products now so not much resources spent on Hyperdrive.

David D Busch

US
178 posts

#7. "RE: The D800E and a storage tank" | In response to Reply # 0

David D Busch Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Nov 2011
Thu 20-Sep-12 10:00 PM

I feel your pain. While traveling and in need of backup (it's embarrassing to come back from a trip with no pictures), for many years I used a $300 netbook with an add-on $89 1TB USB drive. The netbook had an SD slot, so backup was a one-step affair. The total cost was less than either of my two storage tanks, and the netbook had a much larger LCD for viewing images. Where I formerly took both storage tanks on trips (for redundant backup), I found I was leaving them at home.

More recently, I used an 11-inch MacBook Air and the same 1TB USB drive. A bit larger, and the MacBook was more expensive, but they both fit in a pocket of my ScotteVest. I never check luggage, so it was good to be able to tuck all camera equipment, plus backup gear, in my clothing or carry-ons.

When I got my D800, I bought four 64GB SDXC cards for $49 each, $198 total. I tend to shoot onto a 64GB 600X Compact Flash Card, and then copy over to one of the SDXC cards each evening (while traveling) for backup. Or, to *two* SDXC cards if I want an extra backup. If a subject is *really* important, I can save to Slot 1 and Slot 2 simultaneously as I shoot. I can leave the netbook or MacBook Air back at the motel for later viewing and/or backup to the 1TB drive if I want to go triple-redundant.

"I make terrible mistakes, so you don't have to!"

G