Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Mansurovs Anatomy of a D800 repair!

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4505 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Wed 01-Aug-12 07:41 AM

Bob Vishneski of the errant Nikon press release fiasco fame, has released an interesting discussion on the D800 repair situation. It may not be to everyone's taste or shared opinion, but interesting nevertheless. I particularly concurred with his statement "If and when Nikon announces D700, D300 or D7000 replacements, one might want to pause for a bit in light of the recent D800 situation".

Anyway, for what it's worth the link is:

http://mansurovs.com/anatomy-of-a-nikon-d800-fix#more-33478

I am sure it will at the very least evoke some differing opinions

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

DAJolley

US
1300 posts

#1. "RE: Mansurovs Anatomy of a D800 repair!" | In response to Reply # 0

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Wed 01-Aug-12 09:29 AM

Very interesting. Mine has the left AF problem and I have been patiently waiting before sending it in for service but as I see more and more reports like this, my lack of confidence in Nikon fixing it properly grows. My 14 day return window ended long ago and I put my trust in Nikon being able to fix this. Repairs still seem to be a roll of the dice.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4505 posts

#2. "RE: Mansurovs Anatomy of a D800 repair!" | In response to Reply # 1

Wed 01-Aug-12 10:21 AM

It's certainly not right in my opinion that the customer is left to bear the brunt of this, both in terms of loss of an expensive item and postage costs. However, I have read lots of threads here and elsewhere where it seems to be heresy to criticise the manufacturer stance. Loyalty is one thing, but that can be short lived when it's not reciprocal. That's my view as a non-owner, but however is as relevant to me as a prospective buyer in my opinion.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#3. "RE: Mansurovs Anatomy of a D800 repair!" | In response to Reply # 2

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Wed 01-Aug-12 10:45 AM

To each their own, but caveat emptor still holds true. If you didn't return it in time to your retailer under their return policy, or send it in for repair, you had your reasons for making that decision.

Comments about the increasing number of reports of problems are amusing to me. It is like the headline on the news that ""The number of deaths is expected to increase" . Always true, it never goes down.

Yes, some of us think Nikon is doing OK on this and will sort it out in a reasonable amount time. It isn't necessarily blind brand loyalty, it may just be patience.

If you want to respond to my comments, please let's keep this civil. It seems that this discussion topic has a tendency to bring out the nasty side.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

rplst8

Johnstown, US
150 posts

#4. "RE: Mansurovs Anatomy of a D800 repair!" | In response to Reply # 1

rplst8 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2008
Wed 01-Aug-12 10:48 AM | edited Thu 02-Aug-12 01:06 PM by rplst8

>Very interesting. Mine has the left AF problem and I have
>been patiently waiting before sending it in for service but as
>I see more and more reports like this, my lack of confidence
>in Nikon fixing it properly grows. My 14 day return window
>ended long ago and I put my trust in Nikon being able to fix
>this. Repairs still seem to be a roll of the dice.
>Dave Jolley
>

I had a similar problem as Bob. However, the center was only less sharp on one lens. So I fine tuned it, and now the left, center and right are sharp.

Top: viewfinder focus left, right, center. Bottom: live view, left, right, center. This was a 50mm f/1.8 with +10 fine tune. My 20mm, 28-70mm, and 70-300mm needed no fine tuning.

--
RL

Visit my Nikonians gallery and my Flickr page.

DAJolley

US
1300 posts

#5. "RE: Mansurovs Anatomy of a D800 repair!" | In response to Reply # 3

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Wed 01-Aug-12 11:02 AM | edited Wed 01-Aug-12 11:29 AM by DAJolley

I got my D800E in late April, when reports of the left AF issue were fairly new and unsubstantiated. I contacted my retailer Roberts Camera 10 days in to the 14 day return window and they claimed to have have never heard of the problem and because Nikon had not admitted a problem, they strongly discouraged me from returning the camera. They had only sold less than a dozen D800's at the time and there were no replacements available anyway. They assured me that "if" there was a problem, Nikon would repair it under warranty.
At that time, there was no fix so I took the advice of many people on this forum and others that Nikon would stand behind the product, develop a fix and take care of the problem. Many suggested waiting which is what I've done. I'm growing less and less comfortable playing this waiting game for a fix.
I had a lot of concern being an early adoptor but my research from November to the time I pre-ordered the camera in early February turned up expert after expert who felt that this camera would be the most scrutinized, quality checked camera that ever came out of Japan simply because Nikon had so much at stake proving to the world that they had recovered from the earthquake/tsunami and flooding in Thailand.
In hindsight, I should have demanded a return from Roberts, but I chose to trust them and Nikon; that won't happen again.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4505 posts

#6. "RE: Mansurovs Anatomy of a D800 repair!" | In response to Reply # 3

Wed 01-Aug-12 11:03 AM

<<It's certainly not right in my opinion that the customer is left to bear the brunt of this, both in terms of loss of an expensive item and postage costs. However, I have read lots of threads here and elsewhere where it seems to be heresy to criticise the manufacturer stance. Loyalty is one thing, but that can be short lived when it's not reciprocal. That's my view as a non-owner, but however is as relevant to me as a prospective buyer in my opinion.>>

Nothing derogatory there Mick and I for one wouldn't dream of being anything other than civil. The only "nasty side" I've been made aware of has been pointed towards those who don't have the camera, or those that it's felt are grumbling unnecessarily and without cause.

I posted the Mansurovs post out of interest to others and is to me also and with no opinion by me stated. I'm a prospective buyer, so what is said here true or false, hyped up or dumbed down, will help to guide my decision making. I personally have no axe to grind with Nikon whatsoever and hope I never I'll never have one either.

I am sure that if anyone crosses a line then the moderator will intervene.

Richard

dchak

Orlando metro area, US
51 posts

#7. "RE: Mansurovs Anatomy of a D800 repair!" | In response to Reply # 4

dchak Silver Member Nikonian since 21st May 2007
Wed 01-Aug-12 08:57 PM

What did you do to fine tune? Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rplst8

Johnstown, US
150 posts

#8. "RE: Mansurovs Anatomy of a D800 repair!" | In response to Reply # 7

rplst8 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2008
Wed 01-Aug-12 10:03 PM

Just went in increments of 5 until it got sharper and then when it got worse I backed off.

--
RL

Visit my Nikonians gallery and my Flickr page.

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

#9. "RE: Mansurovs Anatomy of a D800 repair!" | In response to Reply # 3

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Fri 03-Aug-12 10:57 PM | edited Sat 04-Aug-12 12:51 AM by jpFoto

>Comments about the increasing number of reports of problems are amusing to me.

Mick, I'm sure that that is true. As you know Walker deleted my reply to you about never owning a D800 or D800e. Your reply to my post was that you were still "waiting." Waiting for what? Anyone who wants or has wanted a D800 or D800e has been able to find one. I hope that this is a civil comment. In addition to Walker's deletion, I have also received a number of emails from members regarding your various posts both here and in the English Cafe who were not "amused" by your posts. Hopefully, we will be able to keep you amused.

Would you like some of us to help you find a D800e or would you prefer to just keep "waiting?"

jP

Edit: As you may recall you were the first to reply to my original post way back in May, and you still don't own a D800. Why is that? Here's that post.

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=7801&mesg_id=7801&page=3

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

#10. "RE: Mansurovs Anatomy of a D800 repair!" | In response to Reply # 0

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Sat 04-Aug-12 11:16 PM

Richard

Thanks for that link. It was very eye opening.

jP

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4505 posts

#11. "RE: Mansurovs Anatomy of a D800 repair!" | In response to Reply # 10

Sun 05-Aug-12 04:49 PM

It's strange but I've been watching all the D800 threads with great interest as recently I've been very tempted due to delays of a semi pro DX. I am absolutely certain that Nikon will bottom out these problems and the issue will be gone, but for some not easily forgotten perhaps.

I am awaiting September's Photokina to hear of any launch of the D400, but even if it does arrive it would be at least 9 months before I could dare consider purchasing in case we have a rerun of current or new problems.

I'm really now thinking if it doesn't appear in skipping a generation of cameras and investing the money saved in new pro glass. I am wondering how many others are considering that too?

Richard

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#12. "RE: Mansurovs Anatomy of a D800 repair!" | In response to Reply # 0

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Sun 05-Aug-12 06:30 PM

Thanks for posting this link! Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me and is consistent with my experience in this case. I returned the first D800 after Nikon wasn't able to fix the left AF issue, then returned the next two bodies right away without bothering with Nikon service, and the 4th body finally is better. It still has back focus, but at least it's consistent from left to center to right, so I was able to adjust it with Af fine tune. With both my D700 bodies, I didn't have to do anything, all my lenses focused perfectly with all points. I hope that Nikon will get their act together.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4505 posts

#13. "RE: Mansurovs Anatomy of a D800 repair!" | In response to Reply # 12

Sun 05-Aug-12 07:28 PM

Tom. I think to a much greater degree than other successors to an almost iconic camera like the D700, there will be many who perhaps may regret the upgrade. However, I am convinced that when all this is done and dusted the D800 will share the iconic status as the D700 has done.

You and many others have had a bad journey, hopefully the worst is over.

Richard

G