Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Fstoppers review of the D800 Ouch!

rlecocq

Winnipeg, CA
106 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rlecocq Registered since 14th Jan 2008
Mon 20-Feb-12 02:31 AM

Fstoppers has some interesting views on the D800.Cant say I disagree with everyting here IMHO.

http://fstoppers.com/opinion-what-is-nikon-thinking

Dont kill the messenger.

Cheers

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nikonus

Southern California, US
498 posts

#1. "RE: Fstoppers review of the D800 Ouch!" | In response to Reply # 0

nikonus Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 04th Feb 2007
Mon 20-Feb-12 04:02 AM | edited Mon 20-Feb-12 04:05 AM by nikonus

One review earlier this month listed the CF card as a bottle neck for read /write speeds .
This week another has the CF card beating the SD card at everything but convenience with iMac's built-in reader for it .
As for pricing of wireless WT-5 " schtuff " the market will show who buys it .

Hans K.

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery. nikonus@nikonians.org

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#2. "RE: Fstoppers review of the D800 Ouch!" | In response to Reply # 0

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Mon 20-Feb-12 05:13 AM

Sounds like a whine to me.

Given the respectable advances, what's been left off of the rig, isn't insurmountable.

They can cry all they want about the fact that Lexar and SanDisk are staying on the sidelines, but that is the future, much as 9 pin fire-wire was to 6 pin.

Wireless, that's where the D4 is positioned, and as yet, Canon has never had the best imagery to date, video being the exception despite the marketing speak but uncompressed 4.2.2, well, and that's pretty darned snappy, no matter what Canon does.

And more than once, I've been in my local retailer as Canon people come in to buy Nikon glass.

Fine to whine, but I'm already in line for the D4 and D800...time will tell.

Rob

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7069 posts

#3. "RE: Fstoppers review of the D800 Ouch!" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Mon 20-Feb-12 05:20 AM

The fstoppers article makes sense to me. It also agrees with what some of the previous rumors suggested.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#4. "RE: Fstoppers review of the D800 Ouch!" | In response to Reply # 0

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Mon 20-Feb-12 03:25 PM

They make all good points and really not exactly scathing criticism. For the most part they understand Nikon is making design decisions and compromises in spec'ing the D800/D4.

The only really short-sighted comment is about the D800 killing the D3x. Look at D3x volumes over the past year compared to D800 volumes in the coming year, and tell me that's a bad thing for Nikon. We don't live in a Nikon vacuum. Either Nikon kill the D3x or Canon would have.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

G