Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

any D800 rumors out there?

mtpeke

Weaverville, US
1230 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
mtpeke Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2002
Tue 05-Jul-11 06:53 PM

I have seen what Thom posted a while ago and the Nikon Rumors seems to think something will come out in Aug/Sept. Anyone hearing anything else?

I am happy with my D300 but I am really wanting an FX camera. Since the D700 is 3 yrs old I figured that its replacement isn't too far away.

Carpe Diem!

Alicia

D300 user in western NC

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Crocket

HR
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 0

Crocket Registered since 16th Jun 2011
Tue 05-Jul-11 06:06 PM

Hi to all!
I'm new in this forum and hopefully in two days I will get my d700.

that 'the replacement isn't too far away' can be also a year from now...

If the specs and iq of the d700 is that what you want than you should not be tempted in waiting for 'new'...who knows will it bee better.

mel_klim

Los Angeles, US
919 posts

#2. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 0

mel_klim Basic Member
Tue 05-Jul-11 10:37 PM

Earlier this year, I decided I was going to wait for the D800. By March, no D800 was announced and I decided to buy the D700 at the end of March. Decided to get the D700 couple of weeks earlier and paid just $2400 for the camera body. Well, two weeks after the purchase, the earthquake hit Japan and the rest is history.

mtpeke

Weaverville, US
1230 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#3. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 2

Tue 05-Jul-11 11:45 PM

I am not a pro so I can afford to wait. My technology plan is to buy every other version of the camera. I started with the D70s, skipped the D200, purchased the D300 and will skip the D700. The only way I would pick up a D700 right now is if it was for a steal. Now if the D800 comes out and has features I do not want, then I will pick up a gently used D700. I have the latitude to wait and see... My question is more out of curiosity than anything else.

Carpe Diem!

Alicia

D300 user in western NC

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#4. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 3

Gator Bob Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2006
Wed 06-Jul-11 03:50 PM

I upgraded from a 200 to a 300 to a 700 without a single regret. I resold each last-generation camera to another Nikonian at a mutually satisfactory price. Each new model had ample functional improvements.

I expect to buy a D800 and sell my D700. I'll bet that both I and the D700's buyer will be happy campers ... which suggests that Nikon does things right.

Gator Bob Santa Fe New Mexico
My Faves: D800E 14-24 PC-E 85 80-400 VRII & Tamron 90 macro

mtpeke

Weaverville, US
1230 posts

#5. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 4

Wed 06-Jul-11 07:20 PM

I am planning on keeping my D300 for my animal shots (the benefits of a DX sensor) and using the D800 (or what ever) for people. landscape and low light. Powerful combo. Looking forward to it.

Carpe Diem!

Alicia

D300 user in western NC

grillij

Piedmont,Qc, CA
253 posts

#6. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 3

grillij Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Aug 2008
Wed 06-Jul-11 11:30 PM

>I am not a pro so I can afford to wait. My technology plan is
>to buy every other version of the camera. I started with the
>D70s, skipped the D200, purchased the D300 and will skip the
>D700. The only way I would pick up a D700 right now is if it
>was for a steal. Now if the D800 comes out and has features I
>do not want, then I will pick up a gently used D700. I have
>the latitude to wait and see...

Beware of the other possibilitiy - D800 comes out with feattures you do not want and much higher price. You desperatly want a decent D700 but non are available. The only ones that are available all have more than 150K click and over priced.

Jacques G

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#7. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 6

Mon 11-Jul-11 04:56 PM

I would not stay awake worrying about a shortage of "clean, lightly used" D700s. That describes most non-pro DSLRs, including mine. It has 5500 clicks after 2 1/2 years and looks and works like new, the same as my D200 and D300 when I sold them to happy buyers.

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8055 posts

#8. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 6

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Mon 11-Jul-11 06:10 PM

From people I trust in the business, who have very close ties to Nikon, I think we can expect the D800 will come in at a price not to far off from the D700 (if you could actually buy a new one) price. You know Nikon's not dumb. They understand the various price points in the industry. Raising the D800's price bar substantially over the D700 will significantly reduce its sales, in my opinion.

As to features, eventually I've found how to use every feature on each of my SLR's and DSLR's, for my betterment.

There will be plenty of low actuation D700's available when the D800 ships. There are many D700's in the hands of non-pros which even after 3 years will have fewer than 30,000-40,000 actuations. Not all D700 users are like me putting about 100,000 actuations a year, or more on a camera.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

westcoast

California, US
835 posts

#9. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 3

westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007
Tue 19-Jul-11 01:12 AM

I can't argue with you wanting to wait, but the D700 is more or less a first generation FX camera with a sensor borrowed from a D3. So by your definition of buying every other version, you should buy the D700 and skip the D800 and get the D900.

teshup

NAZILLI, TR
27 posts

#10. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 0

teshup Registered since 28th Aug 2006
Wed 06-Jul-11 07:40 PM

If you look at CANON and D7000, D 5100 cameras,you will see that the probable change trends are ;
1- 14-24 mega pıxel
2- Articulated LCD
3- HD video
4- Double Memory Card slots
5- GPS

? - Expeed alfa ??????

Visit my Nikonians gallery.[p>Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

#11. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 10

gqtuazon Registered since 18th Nov 2009
Thu 07-Jul-11 10:49 AM

>? - Expeed alfa ??????

That's what I think also. Nikon has been using and tweaking the Sony sensors. They even posted the highly probable future D4 sensor being a 24mp at Sony rumors. If Sony releases their new camera model in 2012, it shouldn't be too far from their announcement for the next D800.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/category/rumors/

Regards,

Glenn
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24917880@N02
http://gqtuazonphotography.smugmug.com

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8055 posts

#12. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 0

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Fri 08-Jul-11 08:54 PM

At this point Thom Hogan seems to be predicting an expected announcement/release of the D800 next year, 2012.

Today, on Bryan Peterson\'s Facebook page, Bryan had the following to say about the D800 announcement,

"First I am NOT on Nikon's payroll-never have been! I buy ALL of my Nikon gear, just like most of you!

I do however have "friends" on the inside and although this news is coming from my French "inside" friend, it is more reliable then all of the other Nikon rumor's that have been swirling about for the past two years! Since I have never jumped on the rumor bandwagon, UNTIL NOW, you just might be tempted to believe it, but ultimately, since I am relying on someone else, and they really are in a position to "KNOW", then it's a pretty safe bet, this time, that it's true!

Two new Nikon's-The D800, at 20MP, full frame, retail price of $2495.00 and Nikon DX-4, full frame at 19-20MP with a retail price of $5,000.00 and both will be announced by late September 2011! That's about all I have for you but I will add, that until Canon add's the Multiple Exposure feature to their camera's, I will find this reason and several others to continue to put up with the frustration of Nikon's extremely slow response to the needs of their photographic customers."

So, Bryan believes that in about a couple of months we may finally get that announcement of the replacement for Nikon's oldest DSLR currently being manufactured (but of course not available).

Time will tell.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

zumbado

North Potomac, US
93 posts

#13. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 12

zumbado Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004
Sat 09-Jul-11 12:29 PM

Ned,

Thanks for making my day.

Juan

mtpeke

Weaverville, US
1230 posts

#14. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 13

Sun 10-Jul-11 09:45 PM

Fantastic news thank you

Carpe Diem!

Alicia

D300 user in western NC

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8055 posts

#15. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 14

Sun 10-Jul-11 10:11 PM

Juan, Alicia, it is good news ... if Bryan's correct, and in my opinion, the new feature set is what we've all been awaiting.

Meanwhile, I'm concentrating on using my great D700 to the max. I'm going kayaking this week and hope to see some birds and other wildlife I wouldn't otherwise be able to photograph.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Alistair M

Sydney, AU
304 posts

#16. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 15

Alistair M Silver Member Charter Member
Thu 14-Jul-11 01:23 AM | edited Thu 14-Jul-11 01:25 AM by Alistair M

I love my D700 but quite frankly the thought of a 20mp DX pro body has me far more excited than an upgraded/bigger dong d700.

I can't wait to go birdwatching with that thing behind a long lens!

PS - just saw the DX-4 is full frame? Makes no sense! I guess that's the problem with rumors... they are inherently unreliable.

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8055 posts

#17. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 16

Thu 14-Jul-11 02:09 AM

The 24.5-megapixel D3X is an FX camera. The nomenclature makes sense. The DX name only refers to size for lenses.

Actually, I suspect Nikon DX-4 which Bryan mentioned will actually be a D4X or more likely a D4S or just D4, as I suspect if they are keeping the nomenclature similar to existing bodies, and a 19-20MP pro camera in the manner of the D3 line would be either a D4 or D4s.

So, all in all, this is all still a rumor. What I'm taking from this is that the replacement of the D700 and D3 series may be announced in September. I'm not convinced about the specs, even the limited ones offered so far.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Baaker

Dumbarton, UK
923 posts

#18. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 17

Baaker Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2009
Tue 19-Jul-11 05:45 AM

Two new Nikon's-The D800, at 20MP, full frame, retail price of $2495.00 and Nikon DX-4, full frame at 19-20MP with a retail price of $5,000.00 and both will be announced by late September 2011! That's about all I have for you but I will add, that until Canon add's the Multiple Exposure feature to their camera's, I will find this reason and several others to continue to put up with the frustration of Nikon's extremely slow response to the needs of their photographic customers."

Unquote

I think the earthquake might have slowed them down....a bit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43019448@N04/

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8055 posts

#19. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 18

Tue 19-Jul-11 08:34 AM

There's little doubt of that. These cameras were expected to have already been released this year, but the Tsunami dashed those plans, and that's clearly the cause of the lack of existing product supplies in both the Nikon and Canon pipelines, especially of pro level equipment. In addition, the rumors coming out talk about the announcements of these cameras, not when they might be available for purchase and delivery.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

westcoast

California, US
835 posts

#20. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 19

westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007
Tue 19-Jul-11 11:46 AM

Ned makes good points, if the camera is announced in September, they probably won't be available until next spring, and I would guess the price quoted may be a bit low. Neither of those items means much if there is no real reason for you to upgrade to FX now.

I was in the same boat last December after waiting a year for Nikon to announce the next camera. What prompted me to buy then was the lens discounts offered and that I really liked the compatibility with my D300 (which I plan to keep for a long time).

The D700 can do most of want I want in a FX camera, and my guess on the new D800 price was closer to $3000, but I would be happy if the price really is lower. Also I didn't want to have to replace my CF cards and the MB-D10 grip that also works on the D700, which would have added several hundred dollars to the total cost.

GroovyGeek

Portland, US
84 posts

#21. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 20

GroovyGeek Registered since 16th Jul 2011
Wed 20-Jul-11 02:30 AM

>Ned makes good points, if the camera is announced in
>September, they probably won't be available until next spring,

This would be unprecedented and highly unlikely. A camera announced in August/September will be available the same year... in limited quantities perhaps, but available nevertheless. To do otherwise is marketing suicide.

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8055 posts

#22. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 21

Wed 20-Jul-11 02:42 AM

Agreed.

If announced September, I would think it would be available, at least to some degree, by mid to late November at the latest.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Floridian

Tallahassee, Florida, US
2948 posts

#23. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 18

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007
Tue 19-Jul-11 01:26 PM

>...and Nikon DX-4, full frame at 19-20MP...

Nikon is not going to make an FX camera with DX in its name.

Randy

DaynLarz

Blue Springs, US
355 posts

#24. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 23

DaynLarz Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2007
Tue 19-Jul-11 04:19 PM | edited Tue 19-Jul-11 04:20 PM by DaynLarz

Endless speculation and all very interesting. However, from the debut of new Nikon's in the past the track record of us rumor mongers at predicting the model number or features for the new Nikon is dismal. Nikon has always surprised us, imho. We will not know until it debuts.

Regardless, am looking forward to the new FX, mid range priced DSLR from Nikon. My wish list, as an ardent HDRist, is that there will be a outside bracket button and that we will be able to dial in EV's of 2 f-stops between brackets!

M2¢W!

Dayn Cederstrom
Blue Springs, MO

grillij

Piedmont,Qc, CA
253 posts

#25. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 24

grillij Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Aug 2008
Tue 19-Jul-11 04:39 PM

>Regardless, am looking forward to the new FX, mid range priced
>DSLR from Nikon. My wish list, as an ardent HDRist, is that
>there will be a outside bracket button and that we will be
>able to dial in EV's of 2 f-stops between brackets!

This is the must have feature that wiil be worthwile upgrading from the D700
As far as I am concern.

Jacques G

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#26. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 25

Tue 19-Jul-11 04:50 PM

> outside bracket button and ... dial in EV's of 2 f-stop ... brackets<

Make that 3 wishes. Which probably means fuggedaboudit.

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8055 posts

#27. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 26

Tue 19-Jul-11 06:08 PM

Four votes, but in addition to the dedicated bracketing button, I can't tell you how much adding the Nikon Vari-Angle LCD monitor to the camera would mean to me as a press and travel photographer.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

teshup

NAZILLI, TR
27 posts

#28. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 27

teshup Registered since 28th Aug 2006
Tue 19-Jul-11 06:45 PM

Outer bracketting button and vari-angle LCD monitor are good changes but not enough for me to upgrade from 700 to 800. Although 20 Mp sensor doesn't mean anything to me since I'm neither a aprofessional, nor an advertiser.
I love my D700 , its built in flash is very useful, I hope nikon keeps it up.
I'm sure that its software will change,as Active -D light system will get better and more sophisticated.

Than, what can make me change or upgrade my camera ? You know many cameras have short cut buttons like landscape,portrait,sport etc.... What about short-cut buttons like fuji velvia,kodak gold or McCurrey portrait, Salgado b&w ,HC Bresson affection,A Güler photo journalism,A keretesz creative ,E Akıncı wide angle, A Alışır model short-cut buttons on D800 )))

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 ( file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.[p>Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8055 posts

#29. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 23

Tue 19-Jul-11 04:59 PM

Randy, well kind of yes, and kind of no. We have the D3X now, and we had the D1X, and D2X before.

As I said above, however, "Actually, I suspect Nikon DX-4 which Bryan mentioned will actually be a D4X or more likely a D4S or just D4, as I suspect if they are keeping the nomenclature similar to existing bodies, and a 19-20MP pro camera in the manner of the D3 line would be either a D4 or D4s."

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

expat

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT
532 posts

#30. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 29

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010
Wed 20-Jul-11 10:39 AM

Strange that under 'D700' my Nikonians daily subscriptiom notice contins I think Fifteen 'D800' headings and only four D700 entries.
How about a new 'D800' forum for all you wealthy people who only enjoy the latest camera and cant wait to get the next one. Then leave the D700 forum intact for those of us who hope to learn about and discuss the D700 which is the subject of the forum afterall.
Criticizing the camera and having a wish list is one thing but becoming obsessive about something that doesnt exist something different.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#31. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 30

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 20-Jul-11 11:00 AM

Right now, this Forum is the right place for discussions about any possible D700 replacement, so let's not criticise other members for doing just that.

Once any replacement is announced, our Admins will consider whether to add it to this Forum or create a new one.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Baaker

Dumbarton, UK
923 posts

#32. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 30

Baaker Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2009
Thu 21-Jul-11 05:44 AM

>Strange that under 'D700' my Nikonians daily subscriptiom
>notice contins I think Fifteen 'D800' headings and only four
>D700 entries.
>How about a new 'D800' forum for all you wealthy people who
>only enjoy the latest camera and cant wait to get the next
>one. Then leave the D700 forum intact for those of us who
>hope to learn about and discuss the D700 which is the subject
>of the forum afterall.
>Criticizing the camera and having a wish list is one thing but
>becoming obsessive about something that doesnt exist something
>different.

IMO posts like these should be in the English Cafe and not in the D700 forum. The posts aren't about the d700. Speculating about something that doesn't exist - despite information from the horses mouth - is pure pie in the sky and should be treated as such. Brian you are normally very quick in moving threads to the appropriate forum so why the reticence now?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43019448@N04/

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#33. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 32

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Thu 21-Jul-11 06:39 AM

As Moderators, we have guidelines for where different types of discussions should be placed. Our convention for "rumour" threads relating to a potential replacement for an existing camera is that they are best in the forum for the camera that might/will be replaced, so that's what I do.

We have no reason to "ban" rumour threads - some members like to wonder about what features a new model might have. It's not compulsory for everyone to read them

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#34. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 12

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Wed 20-Jul-11 12:30 PM

>"First I am NOT on Nikon's payroll-never have been! <

I would be far more interested in quotes from people on Nikon's payroll who do have actual knowledge of what is going on. However, I doubt we will get any of those until the official announcements. Until then, life goes on and I will continue to do what I need to do to progress my photography now.

I think punditry should become an Olympic sport! Bill Maher vs Ken Rockwell! Bill O'Reilly vs Thom Hogan! It would be fun...

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#35. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 34

Wed 20-Jul-11 12:47 PM

>I think punditry should become an Olympic sport!

Things like art and literature used to be part of the Olympics back in the early 20th Century, so why not...

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

CPP

Lexington S.C. ( just moved f, US
152 posts

#36. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 35

CPP Registered since 22nd Jun 2004
Wed 20-Jul-11 04:08 PM | edited Wed 20-Jul-11 04:09 PM by CPP

I'm waiting for the D700 replacement myself. And knowing Nikon and the state of the US Dollar, the D800 will cost a lot more than the D700, but as a poster noted, if the improvements between a D700 and this new D800 are worthy of the price I really don't have a problem obtaining one. If not, then a D700 will be acquired.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#37. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 35

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Thu 21-Jul-11 09:47 AM | edited Thu 21-Jul-11 09:48 AM by mklass

Darn! Too bad they discontinued this.

Every time we play a board game, my wife (who usually wins) tells me she when to the Olympics in (cribbage, clue, monopoly, etc). It would have been nice to tell her I went in photography.

On the other hand, considering where we live, it may be she just went to the Olympic Mountains to play...

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

#38. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 0

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Wed 20-Jul-11 09:58 PM | edited Wed 20-Jul-11 10:00 PM by jpFoto

Here is the official scoop:

1. ISO to 51,200, with no hint of noise until 40,000.
2. Three card slots. One for JPeg+RAW and the other 2 for anything else that you need.
3. Built-in flash that raises 3 inches and is more powerfull than the SB600.
4. Initial purchase price will be just under $1,600.00, but it is expected to bring a premium purchase price for those who have to have the camera on the release date of about $1,650.00.
5. Three days after the annoucement date, it will be available at all recognized dealers and on-line.

And, this was from the "Horses Mouth."

You cant't get any more reliable information than this.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#39. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 38

Wed 20-Jul-11 10:13 PM

Which end of the horse?

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

#40. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 39

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Wed 20-Jul-11 10:19 PM | edited Wed 20-Jul-11 10:32 PM by jpFoto

Yup! And, it is now official. No one needs to further specutlate since we now have the exact specifications and information that we have been waiting for. I would suggest that the moderator now close this thread.

Edit: I'm just kidding about closing the thread.

GroovyGeek

Portland, US
84 posts

#41. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 38

Thu 21-Jul-11 02:26 AM | edited Thu 21-Jul-11 02:30 AM by GroovyGeek

>Here is the official scoop:
>
>1. ISO to 51,200, with no hint of noise until 40,000.
Really, this is such a letdown, I thought it will go to at least ISO 1M. If their shutters can go to a million clicks the sensor should be able to do a million ISO.

>2. Three card slots. One for JPeg+RAW and the other 2 for
>anything else that you need.
Three card slots is only two points of simultaneous failure and you are without a backup. The truly discerning pros require four.

>3. Built-in flash that raises 3 inches and is more powerfull
>than the SB600.
Your source got it wrong. The flash is like one of those landmines that pops up a few yards above the ground before it goes off, wirelessly synced to your shutter. It is then seamlessly retrieved back into the body by a neodymium magnet cooled to LHe temperatures by an obboard refrigiration unit. There is an extendable chill plate that can be used to cool your soda on a hot day.

>4. Initial purchase price will be just under $1,600.00, but
>it is expected to bring a premium purchase price for those who
>have to have the camera on the release date of about
>$1,650.00.
Wrong again. The price is 3500 MYR. With a new plant in Malaysia all future Nikon transactions are denominated in Ringgit

>5. Three days after the annoucement date, it will be
>available at all recognized dealers and on-line.
Free to the first 100 people to order it from any particular outlet.

>And, this was from the "Horses Mouth."
My information comes from Nikon Rumors or the other end of the horse, whichever happens to be more reliable on any given day.

Oh yes, and it has a rear-facing lens so now you can make video annotations of your images and discuss them with your iPhone owning friends.

DiamondPhotography

UK
233 posts

#42. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 41

DiamondPhotography Registered since 29th Dec 2010
Thu 21-Jul-11 06:47 PM

I'm think the earthquake has put the release date back but the spec will most likely be the same. Why don't they just release the spec and stop us all guessing...

North East Wedding Photographer

GroovyGeek

Portland, US
84 posts

#43. "RE: any D800 rumors out there?" | In response to Reply # 42

Wed 03-Aug-11 02:58 AM

>I'm think the earthquake has put the release date back but
>the spec will most likely be the same. Why don't they just
>release the spec and stop us all guessing...

Because then they give Canon a chance to react and mute the impact of any interesting new features with a vaporware announcement of their own. Just think back to how much buzz the stupid video feature of the D90 generated. If Nikon had announced it months before you can bet that Canon would have come out with a press release of their own touting video in future cameras... several days before Nikon officially announced their camera.

G