Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 as a "Landscape Camera" ?

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2688 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Wed 08-Feb-12 03:17 PM

The D800 appears to be targeted mainly at landscape photographers. Looking at the Nikon sample pictures I noticed that all but one were taken at f/8 or larger. I presume that the 36MP sensor is more prone to diffraction blur and therefore less suitable for the small apertures commonly used for landscapes. How does this affect its usefulness for landscapes?

Also, all pictures were taken with the large f/2.8 zoom lenses. Does this mean that lesser lenses should not be used with a 36MP sensor, since flaws such as corner softness, field curvature, CA etc. would become more noticeable?

Tristan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

chiefmasterjedi

US
313 posts

#1. "RE: D800 as a "Landscape Camera" ?" | In response to Reply # 0

chiefmasterjedi Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2009
Wed 08-Feb-12 04:39 PM

Did you take a look at the other camera photo samples, I'm sure that all or most of the sample shots on the Nikon site are from their top lenses. I've not checked myself but I'm sure the D90 and D700 (which I've owned) have sample shots with their lenses of 2.8 or wider.

It seems like normal marketing to show images for the D800 with Nikon's best lenses. I plan to use the following lenses with my new D800....... Nikkor 16-35vr F4, Nikkor 24-120vr F4, Nikkor 50mm 1.8D, Nikkor 85mm 1.8D, Sigma 150mm 2.8 macro and Nikkor 300mm AF-S F4. I also have a nikkor 28-200 and 28-80 which I plan to try out.

Visit my web site.

f5titan

HILO, US
1062 posts

#2. "RE: D800 as a "Landscape Camera" ?" | In response to Reply # 0

f5titan Platinum Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2006
Fri 10-Feb-12 08:51 PM

Any time I get a new camera body I continue to use the same lenses I already have and believe me, I have a wide range of lenses from 30 years ago to the present and get very good results from all of them on my D700. I would expect even better results from all of my lenses using a D800!

"Great things are not done by impulse but by a series of small things brought together." Vincent Van Gogh

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#3. "RE: D800 as a "Landscape Camera" ?" | In response to Reply # 2

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sat 11-Feb-12 01:47 AM

Although I would use the D800 for Landscapes such as the Grand Canyon,
I am more interested in the Video capabilities.
There will be a lot more still images available soon,
Here are a few that are not Landscapes and test the High ISO capabilities:
http://mansurovs.com/nikon-d800-high-iso-image-samples

Here is a link to show the Video capability:
http://vimeo.com/36326055

And, I plan on using the D800 for Sporting Events as I only shoot 4fps anyway.

As for lens, one review suggest the 28-300 as the best "Walk Around".
I will use it but probably not as much as my "old" 14-24, 28-70, AF-S 80-200, and 80-400.

G