Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

what external microphone for d800 ?

andre reichmann

sao paulo, BR
1058 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
andre reichmann Registered since 27th Dec 2004
Wed 04-Jul-12 06:05 PM

hi there all !

i am a complete rookie when it comes to video...
i am planning to record some bird videos in the rainforest and outdoors...
anybody with external microfone experience ?
should i go with nikon ? senheiser ? which model ?

sorry if the question is a bit generic...

regards.

andre
nikonian from Sao Paulo, Brazil
my gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#1. "RE: what external microphone for d800 ?" | In response to Reply # 0

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Wed 04-Jul-12 05:33 PM | edited Wed 04-Jul-12 06:39 PM by RRRoger

I've tried many and like the
Azden SMX-10 stereo mic the best.
I has a very good rubber mount.
And it is a directional mic that pics up surround sound at a much lower level.
I had to tape the sides of my Audio Technica.
The only downside is that I have been raving about them so much that the price keeps going up.

In the meantime try the in-camera mic.
It is not as good but better than I expected.

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

#2. "RE: what external microphone for d800 ?" | In response to Reply # 0

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Wed 04-Jul-12 06:01 PM

I ended up with the Rode Videomic Stereo Pro primarily because I liked its form factor and it had a decent review. I am a complete novice as well, so this is not a recommendation with experience in other mic's, but this one worked very well, fits nice, is about the size of a small lens so it goes into the backpack nicely.

I will say that the little experience I have, and your comments on outdoors, you might consider looking at something remote. No amount of quality on the camera is a substitute for having the mic nearer the item of interest. If you are just going to be standing there absorbing ambiance then maybe (and actually the stereo aspect may be useful). But if you are trying to do something that allows you to place a mic nearer an animal or person of interest, a remote mic may be much more useful to avoid surrounding noise.

What's so common otherwise is you hear every whisper or movement of the photographer and people with them drowning out the surroundings.

PS. My biggest issue with the in-camera mic was it picked up loud focusing noises from the camera. THe hot shoe mount Rode did not at all. The actual sound quality was better as well, but I would have been happy with the camera except for the clicking of the lens focusing.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

realim

Auckland, NZ
18 posts

#3. "RE: what external microphone for d800 ?" | In response to Reply # 2

realim Registered since 06th May 2012
Wed 04-Jul-12 10:33 PM

Are you getting a hissing noise when plugging the Rode microphone?

That has been my problem when trying external microphones on my D800.

andre reichmann

sao paulo, BR
1058 posts

#4. "RE: what external microphone for d800 ?" | In response to Reply # 2

Thu 05-Jul-12 03:09 AM

thanks for the input!

andre
my gallery

andre reichmann

sao paulo, BR
1058 posts

#5. "RE: what external microphone for d800 ?" | In response to Reply # 1

Thu 05-Jul-12 03:09 AM

ok, thks.
gonna check it !!!
andre
my gallery

RodW

AU
116 posts

#6. "RE: what external microphone for d800 ?" | In response to Reply # 3

RodW Registered since 25th Mar 2012
Thu 05-Jul-12 09:46 AM

>Are you getting a hissing noise when plugging the Rode
>microphone?
>
>That has been my problem when trying external microphones on
>my D800.

This is a feature of DSLRs. The preamps are not particularly high quality and ad noise. First off, turn off the auto gain control, but it will still probably hiss.

The solution is to use an external preamp to boost the sound levels so you can run the camera mic levels low as you can. Apparently, the Rode Pro mics have a switch that lets you send a hotter signal so you can lower the camera mic level.

I ended up with a JuicedLink CX211 preamp and some balanced input mics. For shotgun, using the Rode NTG2, plus a wired Audio Technica lav mic AT803B and a Mipro Mi90 wireless lav.

Rod W
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

#7. "RE: what external microphone for d800 ?" | In response to Reply # 3

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Thu 05-Jul-12 01:21 PM

>Are you getting a hissing noise when plugging the Rode
>microphone?

Actually no. It has several settings (three if I recall, not near it now) for gain, but the sound quality was much cleaner than the on-camera mic (though other than the clicking the on-camera mic was pretty good).

I keep meaning to try its actual stereo separation, I have not. It's got two mic's inside, aimed differently; when I ordered it was intrigued that it might give a real sense of position in crowd scenes, etc., but I find that I just do not do video much. It's too hard to focus and hold it still, so I have not experimented much.

I'd offer that observation as well -- the mic is the least of your worries for doing video. Support and focus are a real challange.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

laddad

Kinston, NC, US
1372 posts

#8. "RE: what external microphone for d800 ?" | In response to Reply # 0

laddad Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Nov 2005
Fri 06-Jul-12 10:46 AM

I'm just toying with the idea of getting a external mike. Has anyone tried the Nikon external mike?

aztwang

Avondale, US
408 posts

#9. "RE: what external microphone for d800 ?" | In response to Reply # 0

aztwang Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2009
Sat 07-Jul-12 02:39 AM

I shot my first video today on the D800. I used the Zoom H4N. I used the line out port
directly to the mic-in port on the D800. So in this application the Zoom was merely a powered external mic. That way my audio file is in camera and I do not have to worry about synching the audio. I set gain levels on the Zoom at 50 on the 0-100 scale and audio level on the D800 was at 12. This way the pre amp on the Zoom is at a sweet spot as is the D800 so there are no issues with clipping. The only issue was the room we were shooting in was large
and created some hollow/echo issues. Next time I would place the zoom in like a 12x12x12 box lined with Auralux sound deadening and that should kill room echo. Overall I am happy with that set-up.

"Technical aspects MUST be innate"

Visit my website: phxsports.net

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

#10. "RE: what external microphone for d800 ?" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sat 07-Jul-12 03:58 AM

That is an easy question to answer. Any cheap little electret mic placed close to the source, via wireless or hidden wire will greatly out perform the best mics from a distance. Rain forests have a great deal of selective attenuation of frequencies that alter the tone spectrum over a distance so to make a bird recording that sounds like the bird, you have to get the mic close. To prevent the general background noise, which can be significant, from reducing intelligibility, you need to get the mic closer to the desired source also.
So get a low cost wireless mic kit and get it up in the canopy, a sling shot and fishing line works great, and haul up the mic and transmitter pack closer to your subject and you will have good results. The alternative is suspending the whole self contained recorder by the fishing line over a branch but that increases the risk of losing the recorder instead of just a $5 omni-directional mic.
By getting the mic close, you also do not have to worry about syncing the sounds to visuals since the recorded sound and visuals do not have the 1 ms delay per foot that sound travels slower than light. Recording with a camera mounted mic 50 feet away means 50ms delay that is clearly visible and distracting to the viewer.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

#11. "RE: what external microphone for d800 ?" | In response to Reply # 9

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sat 07-Jul-12 04:07 AM

How would placing a mic in a dampened environment reduce reverberant fields that already exist? The problem is not reverberation fields, it is the proportion of sound that is a reflection artifact versus the portion that is direct incident sound.

The only way to increase the first order sound over that of the naturally occurring reverberant field is to get the mic close to the source. The field is still there, but the ratio of direct sound to field sound is much greater so a hint of room ambience is recorded to give a natural sound and a lot of direct, non-reverberant sound is recorded also, resulting in much higher intelligibility of the sound.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

aztwang

Avondale, US
408 posts

#12. "RE: what external microphone for d800 ?" | In response to Reply # 11

aztwang Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2009
Sun 08-Jul-12 01:53 AM

It works. Ive done it before. I used to be a sound engineer for musicians and ran my own recording studio...don't know why...but it works.

G