Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800E on eBay but expensive!! What the----!

adventuregal

New York, US
14 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
adventuregal Registered since 26th Oct 2008
Tue 19-Jun-12 05:09 PM

How is it possible that the D800E is on eBay for $3700.00 & up? Ryther Camera is selling them for what they claim is the Regular Price:$4,978.00 Our Price:$3,769.00. That sounds fishy! How are they getting them, when I have been patiently waiting since March from B&H. They are jacking up the price to entice those of us that really would like the camera and may just be desperate enough to pay the price. This should be illegal!! Also, what should the going rate for a 3 year warranty be? B&H has them for $344, while Ryther Camera is asking $799! I know this a free economy, but give me a break! Any feedback??

adventuregal

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

conradcjc

US
59 posts

#1. "RE: D800E on eBay but expensive!! What the----!" | In response to Reply # 0

conradcjc Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2010
Tue 19-Jun-12 04:35 PM

>How is it possible that the D800E is on eBay for $3700.00
>& up? Ryther Camera is selling them for what they claim is
>the Regular Price:$4,978.00 Our Price:$3,769.00. That sounds
>fishy! How are they getting them, when I have been patiently
>waiting since March from B&H. They are jacking up the
>price to entice those of us that really would like the camera
>and may just be desperate enough to pay the price. This should
>be illegal!! Also, what should the going rate for a 3 year
>warranty be? B&H has them for $344, while Ryther Camera is
>asking $799! I know this a free economy, but give me a break!
>Any feedback??

I agree 100% in what you are saying but it's just like going to a big sporting event or concert. There are people that will pay double or triple face value if they want it bad enough. Sad but true.

MEMcD

US
31324 posts

#2. "RE: D800E on eBay but expensive!! What the----!" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Tue 19-Jun-12 05:20 PM

Hi Cindy,

The Law of Supply and Demand is at work!
I checked the latest list of Nikon Authorized Dealers (May 12, 2012) and Ryther Camera is not listed so I would not even consider buying from them.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

adventuregal

New York, US
14 posts

#3. "RE: D800E on eBay but expensive!! What the----!" | In response to Reply # 2

adventuregal Registered since 26th Oct 2008
Tue 19-Jun-12 05:48 PM

Thanks for checking that out Marty. Good to know. On the ones selling on eBay, it is hard to figure out if they even have warranties available. Then they remark that they have the original receipt for registration. Wonder who's name is on it and if you can even register it. I just hope mine comes in soon!

adventuregal

conradcjc

US
59 posts

#4. "RE: D800E on eBay but expensive!! What the----!" | In response to Reply # 3

conradcjc Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2010
Tue 19-Jun-12 06:59 PM

>Thanks for checking that out Marty. Good to know. On the ones
>selling on eBay, it is hard to figure out if they even have
>warranties available. Then they remark that they have the
>original receipt for registration. Wonder who's name is on it
>and if you can even register it. I just hope mine comes in
>soon!

I was told but not 100% sure that a receipt with another persons name on it is not acceptable for Nikon Warranty Service.

nwcs

Knoxville, US
7030 posts

#5. "RE: D800E on eBay but expensive!! What the----!" | In response to Reply # 0

nwcs Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Registered since 15th Jan 2006
Tue 19-Jun-12 07:14 PM

reselleratings.com is the first place I look when I see these offerings. Illegal? Probably not. Unethical? Probably so.

MEMcD

US
31324 posts

#6. "RE: D800E on eBay but expensive!! What the----!" | In response to Reply # 3

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Tue 19-Jun-12 08:20 PM

Hi Carol,

Nikon warranties are not transferable!
Only the original buyer is covered.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#7. "RE: D800E on eBay but expensive!! What the----!" | In response to Reply # 0

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Tue 19-Jun-12 11:10 PM

It doesn't need to be illegal. Just don't buy from them. If someone else is willing to pay the price, that's up to them.

Would you sell your house for what you bought it for if someone is willing to pay more?

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

kartane

AU
163 posts

#8. "RE: D800E on eBay but expensive!! What the----!" | In response to Reply # 0

kartane Registered since 23rd Apr 2012
Wed 20-Jun-12 04:53 AM

After market electronic goods extended warranty policies are designed to give the salesman a fat profit. I looked at the fine print once and it said must be cleaned annually by authorised service agent. Hmmm, who does that? End result 13 months later, no professional clean, claim denied.

In my experience electronics mostly present problems within 3 months or go on forever.

Save your insurance money and send it on NAS. Perhaps ask in the insurance section.

>What should the going rate for a 3 year
>warranty be? B&H has them for $344, while Ryther Camera is
>asking $799! I know this a free economy, but give me a break!

Colin

"We don’t see things as they are, we see things as we are" - Anaïs Nin

Please visit My Nikonians gallery

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#9. "RE: D800E on eBay but expensive!! What the----!" | In response to Reply # 3

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Wed 20-Jun-12 10:50 AM

>Then they remark that they have the original receipt for registration. Wonder who's name is on it and if you can even register it.

I don't think the name on the receipt is needed for registration. As long as the date of purchase is correct it will probably register using any name.

G