Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 w/ & w/o AA Filter... What do you think??

haysys

Sammamish, US
127 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
haysys Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2007
Thu 19-Jan-12 05:49 PM

Hello All,

I just read (NikonRumors.com) there may be two versions of the D800; one with the anti-aliasing filter and one without. I presume this relates to the high-pixel count of the sensor and providing a sharper image.

Assuming that the D800 is available in both configurations, I find it interesting that there's no such option on the D7000 (with its comparable pixel density).

What are the advantages of one configuration over the other? What do you think? Which configuration would you want?

Cheers!!

David Hays
http://artis.com

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1169 posts

#1. "RE: D800 w/ & w/o AA Filter... What do you think??" | In response to Reply # 0

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Thu 19-Jan-12 09:19 PM

Personally, I think this is an unlikely rumor. The distribution chain is confusing enough with all the different models. For stores to now have to make a decision to order one or the other of these models, with or without filter, strikes me as placing an unnecessary burden on retail outlets.

What would be really smart would be the ability to turn the filter on or off within the camera.I don't know whether that is technically possible, though.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Philip Weber

Idyllwild, US
110 posts

#2. "RE: D800 w/ & w/o AA Filter... What do you think??" | In response to Reply # 0

Philip Weber Silver Member Nikonian since 07th May 2008
Fri 20-Jan-12 04:07 AM

I just read on NR that one or both are most likely going to be announced at the CP+ show in Japan in a few weeks, with shipping in mid-March.

The D800 w/out AA filter is reportedly about $3,900 US while the version with AA is approx $3,000 US.

I've been thinking about the D800 a lot (I currently have a D700 and a D7000) and would like more info on AA vs. no AA filter. Not knowing anything about engineering, it seems like it'd be more money with it and less without the AA filter but I guess when it comes to this, less is indeed more!

We should all know soon and I suppose the official specs and test images will be the deciding factors but if the non-AA filter body is actually $900 more, I think I'd pass on that. 3k for the other doesn't strike me as that bad and may well end up being their "entry level" FX body and actual D700 replacement.

No matter what, it should be a much more interesting year for Nikon than 2011.

Phil

Benkoop

Amsterdam, NL
122 posts

#3. "RE: D800 w/ & w/o AA Filter... What do you think??" | In response to Reply # 2

Benkoop Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2009
Fri 20-Jan-12 11:26 AM | edited Fri 20-Jan-12 12:48 PM by Benkoop

There is a lot about this to be found in this thread:

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=4098

Wim

adangus

Franktown, US
622 posts

#4. "RE: D800 w/ & w/o AA Filter... What do you think??" | In response to Reply # 0

adangus Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009
Fri 20-Jan-12 12:56 PM

With the D800's resolution, my tendency would be to go without the AA filter. You'd have to be drilling in to 400% expansions in the RAW files to see any jagged edges; and that would be unlikely to come through in prints even when blown up to any practical size.

nwcs

Knoxville, US
7030 posts

#5. "RE: D800 w/ & w/o AA Filter... What do you think??" | In response to Reply # 4

nwcs Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Registered since 15th Jan 2006
Fri 20-Jan-12 03:57 PM

The bigger problem would be dealing with moire. Won't happen super often but it can pop up. What I'd love is a very weak AA filter. One that corrects maybe half of moire problems only.

Philip Weber

Idyllwild, US
110 posts

#6. "RE: D800 w/ & w/o AA Filter... What do you think??" | In response to Reply # 5

Philip Weber Silver Member Nikonian since 07th May 2008
Fri 20-Jan-12 06:30 PM

This is a concern of mine too, although as I shoot landscapes mostly, it's not as big of a worry.

FYI, on his LuLa website, Michael Reichmann did a video overview of the new features in LR4 and moire removal has been integrated into the local corrections tool.

I don't know how good it'll be but for the occasional bit, it might suffice well enough.

Phil

G