Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 without anti-aliasing

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Gator Bob Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2006
Thu 26-Jan-12 08:24 PM

I read conflicting reports on whether the version of the D800 without an anti-aliasing filter will be good or bad and why removing the AA filter will add about $600 to the D800's price.

I'm sure looking forward to hands-on reviews of the D800 without an AA filter.

Gator Bob Santa Fe New Mexico
My Faves: D800E 14-24 PC-E 85 80-400 VRII & Tamron 90 macro

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#1. "RE: D800 without anti-aliasing" | In response to Reply # 0

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Fri 27-Jan-12 04:31 AM | edited Fri 27-Jan-12 04:31 AM by TomCurious

I hope the D800 will have an AA filter, designed and optimized by Nikon for the sensor of that camera. If it's 36MP, the high pixel density would call for a weak AA filter, just like in the D7000. The D7000 has a very well designed AA filter, the resolution and sharpness of the files are great (so it is a weak AA filter), but just strong enough that nobody reported any moire or artifacts. So well done, Nikon, and I hope for a repeat with the D800 and see no reason for Nikon to deviate from a proven path. The last thing I'd want is for Nikon to offer two versions of the D800, with the resulting headaches which one to pick.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10537 posts

#2. "RE: D800 without anti-aliasing" | In response to Reply # 1

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Fri 27-Jan-12 04:40 PM | edited Fri 27-Jan-12 04:42 PM by ericbowles

I posted a similar question in the English Cafe.
https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=190&topic_id=78051&mesg_id=78051&page=3

I'm generally satisfied with sharpness on my D7000, but there was a lot done with software and anti-aliasing. I've had to work harder with managing in-camera settings for noise reduction, and I have one particular image that I think dealt with moire in an unsatisfactory manner.

I think that you may pick up a little sharpness without an anti-aliasing filter, but I'm concerned that the result might be something worse. My take is you would not choose the one with no anti-aliasing filter unless you also had one with the filter. There are going to be some subjects with fine detail that just won't work without the AA filter.

I'm in a quandary about whether the D800 will suit my needs. It seems that it is the next step in the D3x while taking advantage of D7000 capabilities for low light.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8049 posts

#3. "RE: D800 without anti-aliasing" | In response to Reply # 0

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Fri 27-Jan-12 10:16 AM

It's starting to look like you won't have all that much more time to wait to find out answers to your D800 questions, as many reliable sources have now said the D800 will be introduced on February 7th.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

G