Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Robp

Gainesville, US
951 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009
Sun 12-Feb-12 04:26 AM | edited Tue 14-Feb-12 12:47 AM by Robp

You can finally download some D800 NEF images from
http://narod.ru/disk/40067882002/1.zip.html
This is a Russian site and you simply have to fill-in the sign-in number shown near the bottom of the page to go to the next (download) page. There are a number of the same image taken at various speeds. Takes a couple of hours to download with a very good connection speed; so don't bother unless you have such a connection.

EDIT: I don't think this link works anymore; at least, they've changed their page and, since I can't read Cyrillic or whatever they are, I can't figure out how to enter the site now. Sorry!

The images are BEAUTIFULLY sharp!

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#1. "RE: D800 NEF Images" | In response to Reply # 0

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Sun 12-Feb-12 05:47 AM

Link not working for me. Looks to have a 404 page not found error page.

AreBee

Inverness, UK
531 posts

#2. "RE: D800 NEF Images" | In response to Reply # 1

AreBee Registered since 27th Apr 2008
Sun 12-Feb-12 07:57 AM

>Link not working for me.<

Try this

Type the number above the green button, click the green button, then 'Save As' the .zip link at the top of the next page.

Rob
www.robbuckle.co.uk

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#3. "RE: D800 NEF Images" | In response to Reply # 2

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sun 12-Feb-12 08:02 AM

I get no reply from that website, using either link. Perhaps it is overloaded...?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Dark Messiah

Wymondham, UK
94 posts

#4. "RE: D800 NEF Images" | In response to Reply # 3

Dark Messiah Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2009
Sun 12-Feb-12 09:44 AM

It is working for me.

Currently downloading.

Kind regards

G

Please feel free to visit and comment on my Nikonians gallery.

AreBee

Inverness, UK
531 posts

#5. "RE: D800 NEF Images" | In response to Reply # 3

Sun 12-Feb-12 10:06 AM | edited Sun 12-Feb-12 10:23 AM by AreBee

Brian,

>I get no reply from that website, using either link. Perhaps it is overloaded...?<

Not sure. I checked my link after I posted, and I've just checked it again now. Both times it has worked fine.

In any event, I have downloaded the zipped folder and examined the contents which consist of 8 NEF files shot with a D800 and 50mm f/1.8G lens at f/2.8 aperture. Quality is 14 bit lossless compressed. ISO varies using a setting of 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800 and 25600 for an image of flowers, with the 8th image of a chandelier at ISO 6400.

I think Rob and I must be looking at different images, because from what I see the D800 images are far from what I consider to be beautifully sharp.

Where is a base ISO (100?) image? This is the setting at which the D800 should shine. I have to presume that ISO 400 was chosen as the lowest setting to begin the sequence because the shot was being hand held.

By ISO 800 noise is for me quite pronounced, about the same as the D300 at ISO 800 from what I can remember (I virtually never shot above base ISO with the D300). Perhaps downsampling to make a direct comparison fair will change things significantly.

I've not shot a D700, but given that it is meant to perform as well at high ISO as the D3 it canabalised, I would be very surprised if the D800 performance is equal to it, though clearly I'm guessing here. Again, downsampling will make a direct comparison fair.

At higher ISO settings things only get worse, which I dare say is true of all cameras. At ISO 6400, the chandelier image is very poor in my opinion. I didn't look at the flower image at that ISO, but why would it be any different?

It is possible that the NEFs, which I am surprised to say I was able to open in Capture NX2, were shot without sharpening applied in camera. However, applying sharpening to the image shot at ISO 400 (highest quality example image provided) only improved the image, it certainly did not deliver the quality I currently am used to seeing.

For me, the jury is still out on just how good the D800 potentially can be. To date I remain unimpressed.

EDIT: For those interested, try comparing one of the images from here to the D800 images in terms of sharpness.

Rob
www.robbuckle.co.uk

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#6. "RE: D800 NEF Images" | In response to Reply # 5

Sun 12-Feb-12 01:45 PM

Here is a better shot to compare to the Leica link, download the Tiff file from link:

http://photolegacy.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/163/

this would be a better idea what to expect with good lighting/studio set-up...

I like what I see so far for IQ from the D800

Benkoop

Amsterdam, NL
122 posts

#7. "RE: D800 NEF Images" | In response to Reply # 6

Benkoop Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2009
Sun 12-Feb-12 02:41 PM | edited Sun 12-Feb-12 03:00 PM by Benkoop

"Here is a better shot to compare to the Leica link'.

Thanks God (and Christopher), that looks more like what I was expecting! This can compete with the Leica pictures in terms of sharpness (not in terms of art direction and make-up though). It is taken with the D800E I see in Bridge.

AreBee

Inverness, UK
531 posts

#8. "RE: D800 NEF Images" | In response to Reply # 6

Sun 12-Feb-12 02:41 PM

Christopher,

Yes, that image is far superior to the NEFs. Thanks very much for providing the link.

Rob
www.robbuckle.co.uk

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#9. "RE: D800 NEF Images" | In response to Reply # 3

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sun 12-Feb-12 10:38 AM

It's now working here

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#10. "RE: D800 NEF Images" | In response to Reply # 9

Sun 12-Feb-12 01:38 PM

I got it to work also, had to right click and save link/target.... Downloading now....

hujiie

US
582 posts

#11. "RE: D800 NEF Images" | In response to Reply # 10

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009
Sun 12-Feb-12 02:44 PM | edited Sun 12-Feb-12 02:53 PM by hujiie

Rob:

Thank you for the link...

I downloaded the files and looked at TIFF files in LR 3. I converted from NEF by NX2, since LR3 do not have camera support yet to work with D800 RAW.

I see High ISO performance of D800 is as good as D700 from these shots by simple LR manipulations. My usual upper limit is 1600 in D700, this files give me a hope to go higher to 3200.

Though I am testing with converted TIFF (not RAW), I saw color noises (I do not think it is moire), was easily corrected by color noise reduction in LR, in which I have never had in D700.

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

bclaff

Vancouver (WA USA not BC Canad, US
9691 posts

#12. "RE: D800 NEF Images" | In response to Reply # 0

bclaff Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Registered since 25th Oct 2004
Sun 12-Feb-12 07:39 PM

These are the NEF files I used to determine read noise and Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR).
I made a post Nikon D800 Read Noise Measured and Compared last Wednesday that went unnoticed.
The results are impressive.
For further info see various articles listed at the top of my site.
Please respond in that thread if you have questions/comments about those results.

Regarding sharpness. I don't think these NEFs are representative of what the D800 can do.

Bill

Visit me at Photons To Photos

Robp

Gainesville, US
951 posts

#13. "RE: D800 NEF Images" | In response to Reply # 0

Sun 12-Feb-12 10:58 PM

Well, I've played with these images for a while now and I think that my D700 is holding up pretty well. I don't have the 50mm f/1.8G lens with which these were taken; but, I do have a 50mm f/1.4G that is probably just as good (maybe slightly better). My shots seem to compare favorably with the D800's in images blown up to 17 x 24 nominal size prints, which is as large as I can now print (with an Epson 3880), so I'm not inclined to spring for the D800 in the near future. Of course, If i didn't have a D700, I would go for the D800.

It is fair to say that I have definitely not done any extended testing at low levels, extended ISO's, etc. At any rate, it's nice to see Nikon pushing the limits further.

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

mikesrc

OKLAHOMA CITY, US
299 posts

#14. "RE: D800 NEF Images" | In response to Reply # 13

mikesrc Registered since 03rd May 2009
Mon 13-Feb-12 08:03 PM | edited Mon 13-Feb-12 08:04 PM by mikesrc

I downloaded that tiff open in ViewNX2 and I don't think I've ever seen that kind of detail any where!!! Wonder what lens he was using.

Robp

Gainesville, US
951 posts

#15. "RE: D800 NEF Images" | In response to Reply # 14

Mon 13-Feb-12 11:51 PM

I downloaded the TIF file and, while it is nice, it is not nearly the equal of the NEF images. I'll let everyone know if I come across some more D800 raw images.

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

G