Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 how many units are released for pre buy orders ?

nikonus

Southern California, US
498 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
nikonus Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 04th Feb 2007
Fri 10-Feb-12 10:55 AM

Just wondering how many units will be out on the first run . Is the pre-buy an order check , to gauge demand ?
Any insiders have the USA numbers ? Thanks

Hans K.

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery. nikonus@nikonians.org

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#1. "RE: D800 how many units are released for pre buy orders ?" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 11-Feb-12 04:37 PM

Nikon Rumors says the Sendai plant has capacity to produce 5,000 D4 a month and 30,000 D800 a month. Personally I don't think either of those numbers will come anywhere close to meeting demand, but another really big variable is how much pre-announce manufacturing was Nikon able to do? Let's hope there was a mountain of each ready to go once the final firmware is flashed in

Since both bodies are priced very well, to me that would argue there will not be a big lengthy shortage. Certainly it is hard to imagine Sendai has been busy producing many D3S, D3X, F6, or D700 right up to January. If that were the case, one would expect a plethora of these kicking around and in North America anyways, that is certainly not the case. Exciting times!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#2. "RE: D800 how many units are released for pre buy orders ?" | In response to Reply # 1

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Sat 11-Feb-12 05:18 PM

I think the question is, when did the Sendai plant get back into full production? Remember that is was virtually destroyed by the tsunami.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#3. "RE: D800 how many units are released for pre buy orders ?" | In response to Reply # 2

Sat 11-Feb-12 05:41 PM

Yes you are right. Details have been fuzzy on Sendai, other than a back hand recent reference from Thom I have never heard much detail other than the Tsunami did not inundate the plant, so i was always left guessing how much physical damage the earthquake caused. Whereas the graphic 9 feet of water inundating Nikon Thailand was very easy to understand the impact. Heck of a year!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

nikonus

Southern California, US
498 posts

#4. "RE: D800 how many units are released for pre buy orders ?" | In response to Reply # 3

nikonus Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 04th Feb 2007
Mon 13-Feb-12 03:48 AM

Nice , I wonder if the pre order numbers have any bearing on changing production volume . How many middle aged men have 3 K to throw around on camera gear ?

Perhaps the plant was ahead of the issue with all clean rooms were higher floors .
This may have saved parts of the facility .

Hans K.

My Gallery

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#5. "RE: D800 how many units are released for pre buy orders ?" | In response to Reply # 4

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Mon 13-Feb-12 04:28 AM

My understanding is that the Sony Sensor plant was also under water
and lots of other suppliers had damage in Japan and Thailand.

But remember that both cameras were due for release in September so there could have been a lot of time to build inventory.
Rumor is that the initial delivery of the D4 is supposed to be a large one.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#6. "RE: D800 how many units are released for pre buy orders ?" | In response to Reply # 5

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 13-Feb-12 08:41 AM

Thom Hogan made an interesting comment that the plants were completely reconfigured with more modern equipment, not just repaired, meaning that production precision and volume could be increased. The initial enthusiasm for the D800 feels like the D7000 debut when sales were outstripping supply for months. They must have a strong idea of how much demand there will be for the D800 so probably planned for unequaled demand. First month sales will likely be the highest for any full frame camera by any brand.
They probably figured they were well prepared for the D7000 with large shipments to big box stores in advance, plus the normal Nikon retailers. But even that preparation of months of stockpiling product ran out quickly. The D7000 and D800 will likely be the biggest sellers of any cameras above entry level so I hope they have beefed up capacity to match demand for their hit new camera.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#7. "RE: D800 how many units are released for pre buy orders ?" | In response to Reply # 6

Mon 13-Feb-12 12:58 PM

BTW is it confirmed the D800 is made in Japan? I ask, for manufacturing capacity reasons only...

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

nikonus

Southern California, US
498 posts

#8. "RE: D800 how many units are released for pre buy orders ?" | In response to Reply # 7

Mon 13-Feb-12 06:20 PM

Now , Amazon has sold out on D800 pre orders . Whats that number ?

Hans K.

My Gallery

jetfuel

AU
7 posts

#9. "RE: D800 how many units are released for pre buy orders ?" | In response to Reply # 7

jetfuel Registered since 17th Feb 2012
Fri 17-Feb-12 03:50 PM

>BTW is it confirmed the D800 is made in Japan?

Yes it is

G