Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 v D700 high ISO comparison

greenninja

Tunbridge Wells, UK
80 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
greenninja Registered since 28th Aug 2006
Fri 24-Feb-12 07:38 AM

I mentioned on another post that I had seen this comparison where D800 clearly 'looks' superior to the D700 but I couldn't find the link at the time.
I found it again - sorry if this has already been posted.

Nikon D800 vs. Nikon D700 high ISO comparison
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/02/22/nikon-d800-vs-nikon-d700-high-iso-comparison.aspx

Throughout your life advance daily, becoming more skillful than yesterday, more skillful than today. This is neverending.
--Hagakure--
GreenNinja Photography

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#1. "RE: D800 v D700 high ISO comparison" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 24-Feb-12 08:44 AM

Seems strange. Why would someone post images that were misfocused on one and not the other? Why is the "100%" of 36mpx smaller subjects than the "100%" of the 12mpx D700?
I think there are too many unknowns to draw any conclusions from these but I am confident the D800 is not going to disappoint in the high ISO range, and certainly not at 100 ISO where it will be at least 1 stop better in DR and read noise.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

stve10

UK
28 posts

#2. "RE: D800 v D700 high ISO comparison" | In response to Reply # 1

stve10 Registered since 17th Feb 2012
Fri 24-Feb-12 11:07 AM

Obviously not a proper test the guy was probably in a demo or camera shop & grabbed what images he could in less than ideal circumstances.
Pity the D700 images weren't in focus maybe the superior focusing ability of the D800 in low light played a part.
Take your pick he either downsized one or blew up the other either way high ISO is looking good on the D800 from this & other high ISO samples I've seen.

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#3. "RE: D800 v D700 high ISO comparison" | In response to Reply # 1

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Fri 24-Feb-12 01:07 PM

I also thought this was an extremely odd set of shots to post. I could understand if one shot in the set was out of focus, but for all the D700 shots to be out of focus and none of the D800's? It makes no sense and makes it completely useless as a comparison.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

greenninja

Tunbridge Wells, UK
80 posts

#4. "RE: D800 v D700 high ISO comparison" | In response to Reply # 3

greenninja Registered since 28th Aug 2006
Fri 24-Feb-12 01:32 PM

I agree. I might have been getting a bit excited by what they were trying to show
Looking forward to some more believable comparisons.

Throughout your life advance daily, becoming more skillful than yesterday, more skillful than today. This is neverending.
--Hagakure--
GreenNinja Photography

Blondul

Bucharest, RO
74 posts

#5. "RE: D800 v D700 high ISO comparison" | In response to Reply # 0

Blondul Registered since 27th Dec 2011
Fri 24-Feb-12 04:33 PM

Hello, Darren!

I took a lot of pictures with my D700 at 3.200 ISO and all these were much more sharper than the D800 example from that link.
So, it is an un-trustable comparison!

Regards,
Stelian

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#6. "RE: D800 v D700 high ISO comparison" | In response to Reply # 5

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sat 25-Feb-12 02:48 PM

I am sure Nikon will meet their promise of noise reduction equal to that of the D700, as anything less would be a disappointment.

At present everything is hypothosis, absolutely everything! I am guessing that it will be a short time from delivery to the first posts appearing here and that any meaningful images data will be available. In the meantime I don't think it's worthwhile interpreting anything from the sample images posted on sites elsewhere. Personally, I'd trust the posts here rather than those posted by unknown names on sites elsewhere. Real world stuff, posted by real enthusiasts.

When the first images are posted here, then it will start to build the roots of meaningful discussion. Personally, it's the lower light high shutter speeds at higher ISO's (800-1800) and those particularly in DX mode that I am looking forward to and those will be eagerly awaited.

Exciting times

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

G