Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

File size: D4 vs D800, and video quality question?

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Fri 10-Feb-12 05:11 AM

From the inter-webs: "File size: D4: 16.2 MP vs D800: 36.3MB = bigger file sizes".

Does this equate to better video quality?

I've not been able to ascertain that, limited knowledge and so on.

Anyone care to comment?

Many thanks,

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

#1. "RE: File size: D4 vs D800, and video quality question?" | In response to Reply # 0

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Fri 10-Feb-12 04:25 AM

Likely not. The REAL question is whether it will make for WORSE quality.

This remains to be seen.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4962 posts

#2. "RE: File size: D4 vs D800, and video quality question?" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Fri 10-Feb-12 04:26 AM

Very interesting question Rob, depending on line (and column?) skipping or binning and all that complicated "stuff" required to downsize the FX resolution down to the approx 2mp video frame size.

It seems like only testing may provide some clues, since manufacturers seem to consider the "stuff" a highly proprietary matter.

I am also more than interested to see how well the video noise reduction works - since Nikon is taking some effort to point out this feature, it sounds promising.

One final comment - that 2.7 crop video that the D4 does, that may be the best quality video in that no smushing occurs to form the video frame . Then pump the output uncompressed through HDMI and it may be a seriously beneficial feature.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#3. "RE: File size: D4 vs D800, and video quality question?" | In response to Reply # 2

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Fri 10-Feb-12 05:08 AM | edited Fri 10-Feb-12 05:09 AM by Robman3

Perrone and Steve, THANKS!

Steve you bring in a very interesting consideration then.

Since I have both bodies on deposit/order, it remains to be seen then.

I was late to both buy ins, so my purchases are likely late in the first wave cycle, unlike the D7K which I was 2nd in line for at my retailer. That will give me time to decide, one, none or both.

The theory (MP's vs noise) at averaged 2MP frame rates, line skips etc, especially with 4.2.2 output on HDMI direct, would somehow seem to be more resolved at the base rate, but, as you point out, more on that later.

Now Nikon talked up the B frame, does that mean that typical I frame transcoding (ProRes or CineForm) is now somehow affected?

I thought I frames are the pure sample, and that P and B are subsampled, does that make any sense, or perhaps I am misunderstanding the hype or technical context.

OK then..for now, baited breath an all...

Many thanks,

Rob

G