Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
sensor

US
93 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sensor Registered since 30th Oct 2011
Thu 09-Feb-12 04:20 AM

Now the Nikon D700 wil become to place the low category in photograph equipment..?? I mean less value....'cause there is another one with better features...

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#1. "RE: Nikon D800" | In response to Reply # 0

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Thu 09-Feb-12 03:53 AM

Price will drop slightly, but it is a camera that was released over three years ago. Is it obsolete? Not in the least, it will still produce excellent images.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3385 posts

#2. "RE: Nikon D800" | In response to Reply # 1

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Thu 16-Feb-12 10:08 PM | edited Thu 16-Feb-12 10:09 PM by ajdooley

I will speak for myself, but I agree with Anthony. The D700 is not obsolete and will not, I believe surrender much value in coming months. Along with the D3 family, it has shared a spot as a premier "available dark" camera and nothing has changed about that. In my case:
-- I have two of them.
-- They do everything I need them to do, especially when dealing with low-level lighting.
-- They are paid for!
If there is a D800 in my future it will be for aerial photography, but I will need more of that business to pull me into that decision.
I never think it wise to buy the newest tool and THEN look for uses. I also like to let others be the "beta testers." By that I don't mean that I think Nikon is selling an unproven product, but the ideas of how best to take advantage of the D800/D4 family will come from smart experimenters like our fellow Nikonians. They will spend premium $$$, run the tests, and then I will buy -- if the new cameras do more than my D700s, and by that I mean, more of what I need.
For that matter, I don't think any of the Nikon DSLRs are truly obsolete. Obsolete means useless, unable to function. All were state of the art machines when they appeared and all took many, many brilliant and beautiful photographs.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Bob32

Chico, US
5941 posts

#3. "RE: Nikon D800" | In response to Reply # 2

Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2007
Sat 18-Feb-12 12:58 PM

Hey, Alan!

I totally agree with you and Anthony about the D700 continuing to be a premier image producer, especially under low light conditions. I just celebrated the third anniversary of my purchase of a D700 and have had a blast using it over that period of time. Buying this winner was like getting a D3 for half price!

I just recently passed the 84,000 shutter release count. (The count adds up fast when shooting sports at 5 FPS). I have no fear whatsoever that as soon as the D800 enters the scene my D700 will suddenly commence shooting inferior images. I not only love the images that emerge from my D700, but I also favor the less bulky and lower weight D700 compared with the D3 and D3s. As a senior citizen the less weight I have to tote when on shooting adventures the better I like it.

Bob

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4573 posts

#4. "RE: Nikon D800" | In response to Reply # 3

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sat 18-Feb-12 02:04 PM

Agreed all. How could anyone even utter or find any other words apart from superlatives when speaking about the D700

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

robsb

San Jose, US
14966 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#5. "RE: Nikon D800" | In response to Reply # 2

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Sat 18-Feb-12 07:45 PM

Alan I could not agree more. I waited for a bit before I bought my D700, but have still had it over 3 years, and I paid around $2400 for mine. I bought it because my D200 was being pushed to the outer limits of its capabilities by the way I was shooting. I am extremely happy with the results of my D700 and have ZERO interest in video in a still camera. Maybe sometime in the future I will buy a replacement for my D700 but I am not sure it will be a D800.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

dclarhorn

Berwyn Heights, US
14903 posts

#6. "RE: Nikon D800" | In response to Reply # 0

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002
Thu 16-Feb-12 11:39 PM

The D700 is still near the top regarding high ISO performance, and I find that 12mp are sufficient for me with my wedding and event work and even my print making up to16x20 inches. Also, it is enough to get published. Hardly obsolete, at least for me.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

bacil

Excelsior, US
420 posts

#7. "RE: Nikon D800" | In response to Reply # 0

bacil Basic Member
Fri 17-Feb-12 08:00 PM

I agree, it will still be an outstanding camera that is more than enough for most of us. Well, I still love the pictures that I took with my D40.

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2688 posts

#8. "RE: Nikon D800" | In response to Reply # 0

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Sat 18-Feb-12 03:10 PM

Do you really believe that you will make better pictures with a D800 than with a D700? Unless you are a truly outstanding photographer, you will very likely experience the opposite effect.

Tristan

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4132 posts

#9. "RE: Nikon D800" | In response to Reply # 8

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Sat 18-Feb-12 03:44 PM

They be better or they may be the same deepening on your skills. They should never be worse when viewed or printed at the the same size.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

G