Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800E or D800 for landscape and macro?

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004
Sat 18-Feb-12 08:14 PM

I mostly do landscape and macro with some larger wildlife and was wondering if there would be any issues with getting a D800E especially given that moire can be removed with software.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

nwcs

Knoxville, US
7030 posts

#1. "RE: D800E or D800 for landscape and macro?" | In response to Reply # 0

nwcs Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Registered since 15th Jan 2006
Sat 18-Feb-12 08:50 PM

Well, moire can be removed somewhat in software. It depends on the moire. Some is much harder to remove than others. Repeating patterns don't often occur in nature with the regularity it does with manmade stuff. It happens but much rarer. If your subjects will nearly always be natural subjects the E is plenty fine. I think if you will be doing anything with manmade stuff then I'd lean towards the non-E.

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
745 posts

#2. "RE: D800E or D800 for landscape and macro?" | In response to Reply # 1

chroaz Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009
Sat 18-Feb-12 09:20 PM

Yes, that is true, but another thing perhaps to consider is what you intend to do with your images - ie: output them in what form, print them to what size etc.?

I would also suggest that adding acuity to an image through post processing sharpening is possibly easier to do than removing moire over a large area in an image.

I've opted for the non-E because on balance I think it will be more versatile for my type of shooting and, given that I am unlikely to print poster size images, I can possibly "fix" any minor loss of acuity in PP.

Just my pennyworth.

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

www.throughmeyelens.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#3. "RE: D800E or D800 for landscape and macro?" | In response to Reply # 0

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Sun 19-Feb-12 01:23 AM

I would also shoot the prom at my wife's school where she teaches each year with it. I am sure my cats will find a place on the flash card as well, LOL. Family portraits and woodworking projects too. It is just mostly landscape and macro, especially of bugs.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

G