Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 with a AF Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Lens

outdoors4me

US
246 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
outdoors4me Registered since 16th Nov 2009
Tue 28-Feb-12 08:42 PM

Hey folks,

Considering the D800 when they come out. I incorrectly assumed that my AF Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Lens was a DX only lens. If you look at the specifications, it says....

Format Compatibility
Nikon FX/35mm Film
Nikon DX

So, it will work on both FX & DX formats.

I'm assuming though that the reach of the lens when mounted on the FX body will be less than on the DX. Meaning that compatibility means that it will mount and function, but the focal length will be different.

Is this correct or not?

Thanks, Beck

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#1. "RE: D800 with a AF Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Lens" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Tue 28-Feb-12 08:00 PM

Yes, it will mount and function completely on an FX camera. Its focal length will remain the same too. You'll just get a wider angle of view at any given focal length than you would with the lens on a DX camera.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: D800 with a AF Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Lens" | In response to Reply # 1

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Tue 28-Feb-12 08:48 PM

Indeed what Brian said is true. Your DX body simply cropped the image; it did not change the focal length of the lens. The D800 has the ability to crop as well, either automatically in camera or of course you can do it in post-processing, so you will not lose any functionality.

However, if you want to use all 36MP on the same type of subject you were accustomed to shooting with your DX camera, you will need a 300mm lens to get the same field of view, and you will find depth of field is about a stop less.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

outdoors4me

US
246 posts

#3. "RE: D800 with a AF Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Lens" | In response to Reply # 2

outdoors4me Registered since 16th Nov 2009
Wed 29-Feb-12 07:35 PM

Thanks guys. You never let me down!

Beck

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3385 posts

#4. "RE: D800 with a AF Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Lens" | In response to Reply # 3

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Fri 02-Mar-12 09:21 AM

Beck -

Nikonians is indeed a great resource. I used that same lens on my D700 until a couple of weeks ago when I was fortunate enough to find a like new 70-200mm lens for a very fair price. As further evidence of the "FX'ness" of your 80-200mm f2.8, mine dated bak to my F5 days with 35mm film (... that stuff in rolls that you had to have processed - LOL) So you will enjoy your 80-200mm on your D700 very much. As Brian said, the matter of "more reach" on a DX body is simply that of cropping an FX image to DX proportions. Now you may feel you have lost reach, but what you have gained is Field of View. Enjoy BOTH your new D700 and "old" 80-200!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

G