Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Best battery for D800?

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004
Fri 02-Mar-12 12:14 AM

I know that Japan has limited the amount of energy that can be in a lithium battery making the D800 battery not among the absolute best options. With the optional battery pack, I believe different type batteries can be used. What do you guys think is the best battery that can be used with the D800? I don't have any experience with the batteries beyond the EN-EL3e that I use in my D200.

Thanks!

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

mrpenguin

Windsor, CA
306 posts

#1. "RE: Best battery for D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

mrpenguin Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012
Fri 02-Mar-12 12:27 AM

why do you say "different" kinds of batteries can be used in the Grip ?

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#2. "RE: Best battery for D800?" | In response to Reply # 1

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Fri 02-Mar-12 12:48 AM | edited Fri 02-Mar-12 12:56 AM by mwhals

The grip can use a EN-EL15 or EN-EL18 from my understanding. I am guessing the EN-EL18 is a better battery.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

MEMcD

US
31293 posts

#3. "RE: Best battery for D800?" | In response to Reply # 2

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Fri 02-Mar-12 04:42 AM

Hi Mark,

The EN-EL18 has significantly more power than the EN-EL15 and will provide significantly more images per charge. Just like the EN-EL4(a) batteries provide significantly more power and images per charge than an EN-EL3e.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

zumbado

North Potomac, US
93 posts

#4. "RE: Best battery for D800?" | In response to Reply # 3

zumbado Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004
Fri 02-Mar-12 07:08 PM

If you are thinking about getting a power grip MB-D12 it can take an EN-EL15, 8 AA cells, and an EN-EL18. you will need adapters for the AA cell and for the EN-EL18, about $75 each.
If you buy the EN-EL18, you need to buy a charger, unless you have a D4. As for AA cells I would recommend precharged batteries because they hold up their charge for a couple of years, instead of the regular NiMH batteries, which discharge in about a couple of months. The specs of the D800/E claims that with the MB-D12 you can get 6 fps with AA batteries or the EN-EL18.

G