Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
gmth

Lewisville, US
761 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012
Sat 31-Mar-12 04:03 PM

I just had a 'lump in the throat' moment. My camera bag with my D800 and 28-300mm lens fell off my desk onto the tile floor. All seems to still work fine, but I'm worried sick. Should I be? Anyone ever have similar experience with Nikon equipment? Camera bag is well padded.

Regards,
Glenn Thompson

my Nikonians gallery.

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1169 posts

#1. "RE: Nikon durability" | In response to Reply # 0

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Sat 31-Mar-12 02:13 PM | edited Sat 31-Mar-12 02:14 PM by LMMiller9

Perhaps the only time I had my 24-70 lens on my D700 WITHOUT the lens shade attached, I pulled up to my daughter's home, lifted a box out of the back seat to carry in and somehow the strap to the camera got pulled at the same time, the camera and lens went crashing onto the concrete driveway, lens first.

A major heart attack moment. The lens filter was cracked. The rim of the lens filter would not move, and never has moved off of the lens. After removing the broken glass the lens and camera proved to work just fine.

Moral of the story: a) Nikon gear is pretty darn tough; b) keep the lens shade on - it is a great shock absorber; c) travel with the camera and lenses in a proper bag/backpack only!!

I suppose we all have at least one story in which we have exclaimed "How could I have been so stupid!"

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

#2. "RE: Nikon durability" | In response to Reply # 0

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Sat 31-Mar-12 02:20 PM

You've got nothing to worry about. Watch a sports photographer work a football game or basketball game. The cameras take a beating, football and basketball players falling on gear, etc.

They just keep shooting.

Not to sound too partisan because I shoot both, but for durability, my Nikon's I trust. My Canon's.... no.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2690 posts

#3. "RE: Nikon durability" | In response to Reply # 0

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Sat 31-Mar-12 02:46 PM

My story: About 18 month ago I was in Patagonia with a group of photographers. We were traveling in a small bus and I had put my D200 with the 70-200 vr attached on the floor. When the driver suddenly had to brake, camera plus lens slid forward and crashed forcefully into one of the steel supports of the seat in front of me. The only damage was some paint scratched from the lens hood.

Remarks of my co-photographers who were all using Canon equipment: You could not do this with a Canon...

Tristan

jsfoster

US
33 posts

#4. "RE: Nikon durability" | In response to Reply # 3

jsfoster Registered since 19th Apr 2011
Sat 31-Mar-12 04:54 PM

Well, somehow, I can't remember now how, my new Nikormat ('65) fell from the attic window to the ground...not a good feeling. Got down there and picked it up. Tiny scratch on the pyramid.. Why get anything else....Jon

Marmion4

Near Sacramento, US
188 posts

#5. "RE: Nikon durability" | In response to Reply # 0

Marmion4 Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008
Sat 31-Mar-12 05:15 PM

I dropped my D7000 on the cement ground at Downtown Disney, from my shoulder. All I had covering it was a thin layer of neoprene (sp?) Both body and my Lensbaby Composer Pro weren't scratched at all!

Wouldn't rec a repeat, but I was thankful!

Laura

gmth

Lewisville, US
761 posts

#6. "RE: Nikon durability" | In response to Reply # 5

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012
Sat 31-Mar-12 05:46 PM

Thanks to all for those comforting words - I feel better.
I've tried using it again just now and still everything looks normal.

Regards,
Glenn Thompson

my Nikonians gallery.

rogerh666

Inverness, US
424 posts

#7. "RE: Nikon durability" | In response to Reply # 0

rogerh666 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2012
Sun 01-Apr-12 12:57 AM

My sigh of relief and "thank God moment" came when my nikon body came loose from my long lens and fell from the top of a lighthouse to the concrete below. The camera of course was destroyed, my relief came from not hitting anyone below.
Roger H

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#8. "RE: Nikon durability" | In response to Reply # 0

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Sun 01-Apr-12 09:26 AM

It all depends on how far it fell, how hard the surface was where it hit and what angle it hit that surface on. If it was in a well padded camera bag and it landed flat or hit at an angle where it didn't put all the weight of the drop onto a small point (like the front rim of a long lens) you should be fine. The D800 is obviously heavier than a point and shoot and I have dropped my point and shoot in its case several times with never a problem. I did knock by D90 onto a cement floor, in a heavily padded top-loading holster bag, and again not a problem. The D800 is made very well and unless you dropped it from a bridge onto a highway below I would not worry. Just be aware of its functionality the next few times you use it. (That's why we buy well padded bags). PS: I also have the D800 with the 28-300 attached as my default lens. Enjoy.

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

mhutchinson002

Syracuse, US
102 posts

#9. "RE: Nikon durability" | In response to Reply # 0

mhutchinson002 Registered since 28th Dec 2008
Sun 01-Apr-12 10:09 AM

I was getting ready to deplane in Frankfurt many years ago and I opened the overhead. You know how they say "use care when opening the overheads as items may have shifted during the flight"? Well they had. My new 8008s and collection of new prime lenses came down unexpectedly. The bag flipped upside down, hit the arm rest and then the floor. It was all in a Domke canvas bag with limited padding. Having had other Nikons before I wasn't too worried and in the end nothing was damaged.

I've also heard about Canons not being as robust as Nikons in general...

Matt Hutchinson
D700, D300, 18-35, 28-70, 80-200, 24, 50, 85, TC-14eII, SB-800's, SB-600's

G