Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Bluefin

Danville, US
432 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bluefin Registered since 14th Nov 2006
Mon 18-Jun-12 07:25 PM

Anyone have any experience with the Pro-Media L plate?

http://store.promediagear.com/L-Bracket-for-Nikon-D800-with-MB-D12_p_81.html

It's a whole bunch cheaper and in stock. I'm tempted to pull the trigger and not wait for Kirk........

Mark Sloane
Danville, CA

HPB

Grantham, US
35 posts

#1. "RE: Pro Media L plate?" | In response to Reply # 0

HPB Registered since 08th Dec 2002
Mon 18-Jun-12 07:21 PM

HPB

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

There's really only one to buy that's got it all...not cheap but worth the gold. Check out ReallyRightStuff.com.

Best,

HPB

Bluefin

Danville, US
432 posts

#2. "RE: Pro Media L plate?" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 18-Jun-12 07:33 PM

I have a bunch of RRS and Kirk stuff. Like them both.

Just looking to find out if......I can save a few bucks, get a quality product and, get it in a timely fashion.

"Some people say I'm a dreamer,
But I'm not the only one." John Lennon

Mark Sloane
Danville, CA

supergimp

Los Angeles, US
89 posts

#3. "RE: Pro Media L plate?" | In response to Reply # 2

supergimp Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2008
Tue 19-Jun-12 05:05 PM

I don't have that one, although I do have the RRS and MB-D12 (although I'm still waiting on my D80)E...grrrr) and can comment a bit on the pictures of the ProMedia one. In general, I but all sorts of arca-swiss style stuff from all over and really love the plates and clamps from HejnarPhoto and others (I have plates and clamos from Hejnar, AcraTech, SunwayPhoto, and no-name Chinese outfits) but when it comes to the plate that's going to be on my camera (and in my hand) all the time, this is where I would be picky.

In comparison, the RRS plate is way more form-fitting than the ProMedia looks. The ProMedia appears to have large tabs on the front and back to prevent spinning. The RRS really conforms EXACTLY to the shape of the grip with a curved lip in the front that really blends into the contour. In the back, the plate has a thin lip that fits into the rabbet in the back edge of the grip. The ProMedia seems to have large tabs that overlap this rabbet, giving a much clunkier look (and probably feel). See this image: http://store.promediagear.com/assets/images/LBrackets/PLNMBD12-ProMediaGear-Plate-for-Nikon-D800-DSLR-Arca-Swiss-Style-L-Bracket--(1).jpg

The ProMedia is a two piece plate. This serves two purposes, I think. First, it is much easier to manufacture, requiring less material than a one piece plate. The RRS is a one piece plate and is much more elegant and low profile, in my opinion. Conversely, with a two-piece plate, you can remove the side and have clear access to the ports if you don't need portrait orientation. Myself, I prever the more contoured one-piece plate, but it is something to consider.

Another thing I noticed is that it appears that the screw in the ProMedia plate only has one position. Or, if it can be moved to the second hole, you have to remove it and replace it. The second position might be useful if you want to have the side plate away from the access door on the side if you need to get to the ports. The RRS plate has a slot for the screw. At one end the plate is tight to the side of the camera and at the other it sits clear 1/2-3/4 of an inch. Conveniently, RRS has etched a centerline for both positions, if you use indexing on your plates.

Myself, I leave the plate on all the time, and so, when it comes to the plate that goes on my camera, I love the slim contour and fit of the RRS plates. They are expensive though and I'm sure the ProMedia plate will work, it just looks clunky by comparison to me.

Bluefin

Danville, US
432 posts

#4. "RE: Pro Media L plate?" | In response to Reply # 3

Tue 19-Jun-12 06:09 PM

Steve,

Irrefutable logic and well articulated. I will wait for Kirk to deliver.

Thanks for the advice.......Mark

Mark Sloane
Danville, CA

supergimp

Los Angeles, US
89 posts

#5. "RE: Pro Media L plate?" | In response to Reply # 4

supergimp Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2008
Tue 19-Jun-12 06:16 PM | edited Tue 19-Jun-12 07:41 PM by supergimp

>Steve,
>
>Irrefutable logic and well articulated. I will wait for Kirk
>to deliver.
>
>Thanks for the advice.......Mark
>
>Mark Sloane
>Danville, CA

Haha. Thanks. And on that note, I'm thinking of adding an MB-D11 for my D7000 and getting the ProMedia plate for that (I have the RRS L-plate without the grip now). But I don't use that one as much...tough choice with the price difference. But for the camera that will be in my hand 90% of the time, it's RRS for sure.

Tough choice, the RRS stuff really is well done.

G