Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D700 vs. Nikon D800 high ISO comparison

Hektor

Rancho Palos Verdes - So-Cal, US
703 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Hektor Platinum Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008
Wed 07-Mar-12 12:00 AM | edited Wed 07-Mar-12 12:08 AM by Hektor

Hi:

I found this very interesting article in NikonRumors:

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/03/05/another-nikon-d700-vs-nikon-d800-high-iso-comparison.aspx/#more-35120

To me, the D800 seems to be cleaner than the D700. As I said before, I believe that the D800 is a fantastic camera. There two main reasons I’m not upgrading my D700. Firstly, I am not longer willing to sell a camera with a zillion actuations left in it. Lastly, I just do not want to handle the file sizes. I use LR and send my photos to CS5 to apply the different filters and plug-ins like Nik Software. Right now, I get around 12 MB per raw file + 50-80 MB for each Tiff file (I keep both.) I have no idea what it would be like with a 36MP camera, but they are not small not to speak about the degradation of my PC performance. In addition, I only publish on the WEB and if I print, they are only 8X11.

I have never read so much negativity about a product that is not out yet and no one has (or better said: very few, but very few have.) I have always been very critical of Nikon for not announcing their upcoming products several months ahead of the release date so we can plan if we know what is coming down the road. Now that they do…

Best regards,

Hektor

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos
My Nikonians Album: My Galleries

Nikonians is our Safe Port and Home in the World Wide Web - Participate as a Full Family Member.

Leica Q - Fujifilm X-T2 (~ October) - Fujifilm X-T10 (Silver) - Nikon D5500 (IR) - Nikon D750
Member since 2007 - Previous User Name: Ramesses (2035 posts) A combined total of 2735+ posts and counting.
"Photography is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get." Forrest Gump - The Photo Reviewer.

rodantking

US
93 posts

#1. "RE: Nikon D700 vs. Nikon D800 high ISO comparison" | In response to Reply # 0

rodantking Registered since 14th Feb 2012
Wed 07-Mar-12 12:03 AM

a little cleanner...A full stop cleaner. Have a had time believing that. Time will tell.

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#2. "RE: Nikon D700 vs. Nikon D800 high ISO comparison" | In response to Reply # 1

johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006
Wed 07-Mar-12 01:11 AM

Thanks for the link.

I think the d800 will be a horrible camera with all sorts of drawbacks. Hardly any better than D700. An appalling technical tragedy.

I hope everybody keeps piling on to the D800 with the most critical reviews possible.

That way I have more hope of getting mine sooner.

JO

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

#3. "RE: Nikon D700 vs. Nikon D800 high ISO comparison" | In response to Reply # 2

gqtuazon Registered since 18th Nov 2009
Wed 07-Mar-12 01:53 AM

Thanks for the link Hektor. I don't have much technical experience to make a claim if the sample comparison was fair. The comparison between the two made the D800 appear to be cleaner.

However, if both files were printed on an A3 or A4 picture, the D800 might look cleaner since it tends to conceal the noise in the shadows better due to its larger file size. That is just my assumption based on what was previously explained to me.

With that said, I wonder how will the D800 fair against the D4 if you print the pictures and do a comparison at ISO 6400.

Regards,

Glenn

Hektor

Rancho Palos Verdes - So-Cal, US
703 posts

#4. "RE: Nikon D700 vs. Nikon D800 high ISO comparison" | In response to Reply # 3

Hektor Platinum Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008
Wed 07-Mar-12 03:40 AM

Hi Glenn:

No problems. We have to wait and see to be certain. However and from where I'm seating, the D800 looks good, very good.

Hektor

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos
My Nikonians Album: My Galleries

Nikonians is our Safe Port and Home in the World Wide Web - Participate as a Full Family Member.

Leica Q - Fujifilm X-T2 (~ October) - Fujifilm X-T10 (Silver) - Nikon D5500 (IR) - Nikon D750
Member since 2007 - Previous User Name: Ramesses (2035 posts) A combined total of 2735+ posts and counting.
"Photography is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get." Forrest Gump - The Photo Reviewer.

mikesrc

OKLAHOMA CITY, US
299 posts

#5. "RE: Nikon D700 vs. Nikon D800 high ISO comparison" | In response to Reply # 4

mikesrc Registered since 03rd May 2009
Thu 15-Mar-12 12:53 PM

Guys I shot a lot of pictures in a theater last fall with a D7000 at 3200/6400 ISO and they were WAY better than I thought they would be.

G