Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New Nikon Cameras and Weddings

mrpenguin

Windsor, CA
306 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mrpenguin Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012
Mon 05-Mar-12 03:37 PM

I ordered a D800 but I am still not convinced I made the right choice !
The D4 and the D800 sounds like they will be a killer combination for wedding photography but unfortunately buying both of them is out of my budged.

I need a new FX camera no matter what as a main camera! I can either use my D7000 as a second camera but I think I will most probably replace my D7000 with the D400 once it comes out.

Right now I am struggling with my D800 decision and thinking that maybe I should rather get the D4 and then have a D4 as a main body and D400 as secondary.

My reason for thinking this is that I am wondering how close the D800 and D400 will be in specs, I am sure the D400 wont be higher than 20 to 25mp so I am wondering if the two cameras will be very much the same except for the MP's and the FX to DX.

Any wedding photographers out there that can give me advice on what to do ?

Thanks

blw

Richmond, US
28561 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#1. "RE: New Nikon Cameras and Weddings" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Mon 05-Mar-12 03:21 PM

I'm not a wedding photographer, but I do shoot a lot at high ISO (sports) and I do events, too.

I can't imagine how the D800 will fail you. Do you really shoot at > ISO 3200 all the time? If you can use your D7000, we know it's good to about ISO 3200 or so, and the D800 is surely not going to be a lot worse at high ISO as they have very similar pixel sizes and density. (OK the D800 is slightly denser, but it's also got the benefit of a year and a half more development.)

I assume without inspecting your profile that you must have some fast glass. Let's assume you have typical f/2.8 glass, and that you require 1/125th shutter speed minimum to assure crisp results. At ISO 3200, 1/125th, f/2.8 is EV5, described as "Night home interiors, average light. School or church auditoriums. Subjects lit by campfires or bonfires" Seems reasonable to me. Two stops less light - ie f/1.4 glass and ISO 3200 - we're a full stop below "Candle lit close-ups." And remember that we're assuming ISO 3200 and 1/125th. The latter is quite pessimistic for focal lengths < 70mm and the former is pessimistic given that Nikon rate the D800 at 6400 "in range." That won't be noiseless, but that's what the D700 does now. You've got at least two stops additional to work with, assuming that you're unwilling to do post processing to minimize noise. Remember that even if the D800 has more noise than the D700 on a pixel-for-pixel basis, it's also got 3x as many pixels. If you downsize to 12mp, the per-output-pixel noise is going to be less than what you are used to seeing from a D700, not more. I know, 12mp is perceived to be not very much any more, but 12mp is a native (roughly) 14x9 print. What proportion of your wedding prints are significantly bigger than that? I'd guess about one per job, and for that one you can devote some post processing effort to the single image. If it's significantly bigger than that, you're struggling with upsizing the noise today anyway.

I don't get why everyone is so freaked out about the D800's low noise ability, even on a per-spec basis.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

geoffc

San Pedro, US
132 posts

#2. "RE: New Nikon Cameras and Weddings" | In response to Reply # 0

geoffc Registered since 21st Apr 2008
Tue 06-Mar-12 10:40 PM

I shoot weddings, but also a lot of architecture and studio portraits. I'm going to order a D800 for the increased pixels to push around.

But for weddings? D4 all the way, if you can afford it. Of course, as mentioned, that's a huge jump in price if weddings or sports is only a smaller part of your work.

My d700's work perfectly for weddings, but I'd take another 3 or 4 stops of ISO in a heartbeat. Plus, the framerate of the D4 can be quite necessary when capturing quick moments without having time to compose and focus normally.

Honesty, a used D3s, or even a D700, will get you everything you need for weddings. The D4 is NICE, but if I weren't going to shoot video, a D700 and the extra cash for lenses would be my choice.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

hujiie

US
582 posts

#3. "RE: New Nikon Cameras and Weddings" | In response to Reply # 2

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009
Tue 06-Mar-12 11:06 PM

I feel that if you do JUST wedding, I am not sure D800 is the answer. If it were for me to do ONLY wedding, I would go for combinations of D4, D3x, D3s, D700, 5D M2 or 5D M3.

D800 might be too sensitive for the needs.

Reality is that I ordered D800E and I am certain that that is what I need for my work. But I am a little apprehensive about trading off one of my D700 to replace D800 for my WEDDING use...

I wish I can afford 3 bodies.

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

rodantking

US
93 posts

#4. "RE: New Nikon Cameras and Weddings" | In response to Reply # 0

rodantking Registered since 14th Feb 2012
Tue 06-Mar-12 11:41 PM

I agree the d4 would be better, but not on your wallet. I would keep the order and find out. I have a feeling if you don't like it you won't be taking a hit getting rid of it. Also I agree that it should be a better than the 7000 whitch isn't far behind the 700. That being said if you are not happy with the 800 I would go D3s or D4. Not sure I would even buy a 400 if you keep the 800. It's already a 7000 equal if your using dx lens or need the reach.

G