Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Never Thought I'd go FX

jcy2012

US
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jcy2012 Registered since 03rd Mar 2012
Sun 04-Mar-12 11:23 AM

For a while I've been waiting like a lot of Nikonian folks for D400 for better resolution and HD video to upgrade from D300/D80. I like the reach of DX and never had a desire to go FX. Enter D800, I changed my mind and preordered one for the precise upgrade reasons: higher resolution and HD video. Soon I will have D800/70-200VR2, D300/17-55 and D80/11-16 (+TC2xIII,SB900,35/1.8,etc.) when I travel in my photo vacation tours, my primary hoppy. I also do some macro photo artwork (www.macroxscape.com). It is crazy to carry all that. Any suggestion to slim down my carry on and on my back? What to get rid of? Thanks for the advice.

nwcs

Knoxville, US
7030 posts

#1. "RE: Never Thought I'd go FX" | In response to Reply # 0

nwcs Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Registered since 15th Jan 2006
Sun 04-Mar-12 12:05 PM

Well, with the D300 there's no reason to keep the D80. But without knowing more it's hard to pinpoint things. So here's a simple exercise: look at all the pictures you've taken over the last year or three. What focal lengths/lenses do you use? Then identify the lenses that you never use from that. Sell those.

For example, I have had a 50mm f1.4G for about a year and a half. I used it a handful of times. I rarely shoot at 50mm. So I just sold it Friday. I almost never use my 1.4 TC. It's next on the selling front when I get around to it. My 85 1.4D is on the bubble. I may or may not sell it. The rest of my lenses I use quite frequently overall.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#2. "RE: Never Thought I'd go FX" | In response to Reply # 1

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sun 04-Mar-12 12:49 PM

I did the same thing, sold all my extra & unused photo equipment.
But then added 3 lens with the V1.
However, I still have the "Holy Trinity".
And, will only be replacing my 80-400 if Nikon ever comes out with an AF-S version.

The D800 is going to complicate my travel plans.
I will take it to places like the Grand Canyon and Yosemite,
but need the V1 for hiking and WalkArounds.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

preset

Seattle Area, US
4 posts

#3. "RE: Never Thought I'd go FX" | In response to Reply # 0

preset Registered since 10th Mar 2012
Mon 12-Mar-12 05:20 PM

>For a while I've been waiting like a lot of Nikonian folks
>for D400 for better resolution and HD video to upgrade from
>D300/D80. I like the reach of DX and never had a desire to go
>FX. Enter D800, I changed my mind and preordered one for the
>precise upgrade reasons: higher resolution and HD video. Soon
>I will have D800/70-200VR2, D300/17-55 and D80/11-16
>(+TC2xIII,SB900,35/1.8,etc.) when I travel in my photo
>vacation tours, my primary hoppy. I also do some macro photo
>artwork (www.macroxscape.com). It is crazy to carry all that.
>Any suggestion to slim down my carry on and on my back? What
>to get rid of? Thanks for the advice.

Other then buying a new 3/4 ton diesel pickup to haul your gear in I don't see a problem!!! Just kidding.

Keep your cameras dry and your batterys charged!!!

EpicDan

St. Paul, US
711 posts

#4. "RE: Never Thought I'd go FX" | In response to Reply # 0

EpicDan Silver Member Charter Member
Tue 13-Mar-12 03:50 PM

Your gear list is close to my normal set of cameras and glass. I keep two bodies; a main body (D3S) and a backup (D700). Glass is choosen based on the trip or the photo seaaion. I have 12(?) lenses. I cannot carry all them, cameras, tripods, flash units, etc. I like to have options too.

I like the Thinktank product line for backpacks. Backbacks are slow to get on and off but I generally have time to change glass if the need arises. Backpacks save my neck and shoulders by balancing the load.

Daniel McGowan

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#5. "RE: Never Thought I'd go FX" | In response to Reply # 4

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Tue 13-Mar-12 04:06 PM

Like Daniel, I have several lenses and enough photo equipment, I would never take it all at once. I have smaller cases that I use for travel and I just load them with what I want for that trip. I have several cases of different sizes, so I can take as much or little as I want. My photo equipment is permanently housed in a couple of large pelican cases.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

jcy2012

US
7 posts

#6. "RE: Never Thought I'd go FX" | In response to Reply # 4

jcy2012 Registered since 03rd Mar 2012
Tue 13-Mar-12 06:31 PM | edited Tue 13-Mar-12 08:16 PM by briantilley

Yes, Daniel, I like to have options too in the field. I have had regrets when I did not. I may have to go back to gym more often with D800 addition. LOL. Jim

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4969 posts

#7. "RE: Never Thought I'd go FX" | In response to Reply # 6

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 17-Mar-12 09:39 PM

Nice macro work Jim.

One traditional way of managing a FX/DX kit is favouring telephotos on the DX camera. But given the D800 now with its 36mp, that throws that theory out the window

I would either IR-convert or sell the D80.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

EpicDan

St. Paul, US
711 posts

#8. "RE: Never Thought I'd go FX" | In response to Reply # 6

EpicDan Silver Member Charter Member
Mon 19-Mar-12 04:19 PM

I can only shoot one camera at a time. If I'm taking photos for myself I'll take just one camera on the hike. The car may have a spare and there is always a spare for longer car/flight trips. The day-of I will go to one camera and a selection of lenses or just one lens.

I'm currently doing a lot of photography as an additional duty in the Army so a second body is more often required as a backup. I haven't mastered the technique of two cameras with different lenses.

Daniel McGowan

G