Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

to alias and/or not to alias, the question for the D800E?

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
steveZ

Englewood, US
441 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
steveZ Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2007
Tue 07-Feb-12 05:33 AM | edited Tue 07-Feb-12 05:34 AM by steveZ

I cant tell from the brochures if the D800E has a feature of in-camera disabling the anti-alias filter, or just a filter in this camera that does not anti-alias, meaning ultimately there is no choice to alias or to not with this model. see:

"The D800E incorporates an optical filter with all the anti-aliasing properties removed in order to facilitate the sharpest images possible."

"In-camera disabling of the aliasing and moiré pattern reduction operation performed by the optical low-pass filter built into the D800E allows light passing through a NIKKOR lens to strike photodiodes directly for even greater resolution."

I'm thinking NO CHOICE.

Steve Z
www.stevezavodny.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

picbybdm

US
27 posts

#1. "RE: to alias and/or not to alias, the question for the D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

picbybdm Registered since 27th Jan 2012
Tue 07-Feb-12 03:38 PM

You are correct if you are assuming there is an either or choice made at purchase time.

The filter is not software based and cannot be turned off or on. It is either present in the camera at purchase time or it is not there.

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13741 posts

#2. "RE: to alias and/or not to alias, the question for the D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Tue 07-Feb-12 04:20 PM

There is already a post on this subject here...

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=226&topic_id=35770&mesg_id=35770&page=

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#3. "RE: to alias and/or not to alias, the question for the D800E?" | In response to Reply # 0

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Tue 07-Feb-12 06:03 PM

Actually if you could turn the AA filter off or on in camera there would be no need for two models.

Len

G